Gauging interest in Stretch 2 Salt SS LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NCC-2893

Gauging interest in Stretch 2 Salt SS LC200N

Post by NCC-2893 »

I’ve spent few weeks with my Stretch 2 SS K390 now. It creeps closer to being the perfect daily carry for me. Definitely thenperfect utility knife for daily carry. The K390 is solid and holds an edge very well through a day of hard work. That said, the Stretch being designed with hunters in mind, I can help to think a Stretch Salt LC200N would be an inevitable iteration for the series.

A Stretch Salt would invite me to take the knife absolutely everywhere, including rafting trips. I love the K390. But I also sharpen my knives frequently, so don’t mind the loss of edge retention for waterproofing. Makes sense for a knife designed for skinning, where blood and being field washed would be frequent.

Anyone else interested in similar? In my minds eye this Salt knife would take priority over a PM2 Salt based on functionality alone. Although sheer sales might speak otherwise.
Last edited by NCC-2893 on Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
The Deacon

Re: Gushing interest in Stretch 2 Salt SS LC200N

Post by The Deacon »

I'd be interested, Heck, I'd be interested in just about any decently stainless Stretch 2. However, I'm less sure of the need for a Stretch Salt. I think the VG-10 versions are adequately stainless for hunting. As for rafting, I think the Atlantic Salt, which has a similar feel, is a reasonable alternative. Perhaps even better because a sheepsfoot blade offers less chance of accidentally puncturing the raft.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

YES!

- Linerless FRN, consequently lighter
- "Original" blade shape, not straight spine, but the a tad longer blade and a bit shorter bladepart of the choil that the straight spine offers (resulting in a bit more cutting edge)
- or, ideally: Make the blade longer anyway (as long as the available space in the handle allows): THAT would make for a real versatile folder!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
maloosik

Post by maloosik »

Yes I would buy a Salt in 3.5" blade size, either Stretch 2 or Endela based. I believe this size is currently not available in a salt product which irks me.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:43 am
I’ve spent few weeks with my Stretch 2 SS K390 now. It creeps closer to being the perfect daily carry for me. Definitely thenperfect utility knife for daily carry. The K390 is solid and holds an edge very well through a day of hard work. That said, the Stretch being designed with hunters in mind, I can help to think a Stretch Salt LC200N would be an inevitable iteration for the series.

A Stretch Salt would invite me to take the knife absolutely everywhere, including rafting trips. I love the K390. But I also sharpen my knives frequently, so don’t mind the loss of edge retention for waterproofing. Makes sense for a knife designed for skinning, where blood and being field washed would be frequent.
You might want to check out the SpydieChef. Might be the answer to your prayers. It was for me. IMHO it is the defacto standard of excellence for folding pocket skinners.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Worth trying an Atlantic Salt maybe, at least til a Salt Stretch comes out. They aren't incredibly different designs. I did wharncliffe the sheepsfoot on mine though for a pointier tip, which might be the biggest difference.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

phaust wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:53 pm
Worth trying an Atlantic Salt maybe, at least til a Salt Stretch comes out. They aren't incredibly different designs. I did wharncliffe the sheepsfoot on mine though for a pointier tip, which might be the biggest difference.

Very cool! :smlling-eyes

I once did a thread about exactly what you did to the Atlantic Salt and comparing it to the PM2 (see here: viewtopic.php?t=88063#p1468602)

Compared to the Stretch, the Atlantic offers more blade and edge, and is REALLY light (just 2.6 oz)

And: The Atlantic can be had in full SE.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Re: Gauging interest in Stretch 2 Salt SS LC200N

Post by skeeg11 »

Still trying to figure out what hunting application a sheepfooted wharnie would be good for? :thinking
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:18 pm
Still trying to figure out what hunting application a sheepfooted wharnie would be good for? :thinking
Cleaning hogs and cutting up birds I love a serrated edge for hogs
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oh **** ya! A salt with the drop point?! In PE and SE, Might as well retire the Atlantic and perhaps the Pacific Salt.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'll take one because it's a Stretch and it's Green, but it's not particularly enticing my my uses. I'd be more tempted by a yellow one I think.

I agree a highly corrosion-resistant steel that still holds a good edge makes a lot of sense for a hunting knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I would definitely be interested in a pair of these knives if made.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:02 am
I'd be interested, Heck, I'd be interested in just about any decently stainless Stretch 2. However, I'm less sure of the need for a Stretch Salt. I think the VG-10 versions are adequately stainless for hunting....
My thoughts are similar on most of this, but I'd really like to see a stretch with a better stainless than is currently offered, S110V, 20CV, S45VN, MagnaCut... etc.

I'd probably buy a Salt Stretch, but I prefer linered knives for most uses (QuietCarry uses LC200N liners in their G10 salt series, so it can be done.) I'd put forth that a Salt Stretch with Caribbean style G10 construction would be pretty neat.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:41 pm
The Deacon wrote:
I'd be interested, Heck, I'd be interested in just about any decently stainless Stretch 2. However, I'm less sure of the need for a Stretch Salt. I think the VG-10 versions are adequately stainless for hunting....
My thoughts are similar on most of this, but I'd really like to see a stretch with a better stainless than is currently offered, S110V, 20CV, S45VN, MagnaCut... etc.

I'd probably buy a Salt Stretch, but I prefer linered knives for most uses (QuietCarry uses LC200N liners in their G10 salt series, so it can be done.) I'd put forth that a Salt Stretch with Caribbean style G10 construction would be pretty neat.
Not that I would not grant you a linered, G10 Stretch Salt...

but for me and I guess some more one appeal of the Seki Salts is the light weight of the linerless construction, which is nice to have in certain scenarios...

Perhaps they can do both. :winking-tongue
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

The Deacon wrote:
I'd be interested, Heck, I'd be interested in just about any decently stainless Stretch 2. However, I'm less sure of the need for a Stretch Salt. I think the VG-10 versions are adequately stainless for hunting. As for rafting, I think the Atlantic Salt, which has a similar feel, is a reasonable alternative. Perhaps even better because a sheepsfoot blade offers less chance of accidentally puncturing the raft.
This! I would like the Stretch 2 SS or preferably the original blade shape in an upgraded stainless!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I wanted Spyderco to do a run of AEB-L. Seki or Golden. Seki sprints in ABE-L would be nice. Maybe a dark blue handle. Stretch 2 ABR-L in the drop point blade.

If not AEB-L then CPM MagnaCut.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have exressed a strong interest in an LC200n Stretch 2 Salt with the drop point blade quite a few times. I am not really as interested in a straight spine variant.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If it were a straight spine Stretch 2 with that pointed blade, I'd be on it like a duck on a june bug.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been using my modified Stretch (aka Rhinoplasty Stretch) a lot lately and I really like the blade shape. I'm still torn on the handle and choil vs other preferred handle designs, but I would be more inclined to buy another Stretch if it came in a SE/FFG LC200N/Salt variant. Aside from wanting to try out other steels like MagnaCut, this is my current favorite blade/steel/edge combo and suffice to say I'd be more interested in buying any knife in this combo vs whatever standard combo a knife is offered in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Definitely! Although, I would prefer that it retained the original blade shape.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson