Crazy ordeal buying a spyderco from a YouTube celebrity

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wartstein

Re: Crazy ordeal buying a spyderco from a YouTube celebrity

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 am
on_the_edge wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:17 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:08 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:47 pm
Julia is definitely correct.

Thread with more discussion here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pay ... m.1647971/

I know that several of my favorite online retailers had to stop taking Paypal (example: https://riversedgecutlery.com/shipping-returns/).
Man, that´s bad. Hope it does not swap over to Europe - I almost always pay per Paypal, since I don´t have a credit card (not really usual, but definitely LESS UN-usual in Europe than in the US... (not having a credit card I mean))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:58 am
While adding this guy to my "scammer book", I found that he has a knife auction site, also.

The sketch grows...

Although, I'm not as surprised after learning that it is listed as being located in Chattanooga.
Those people are already questionable.
Hey!.. Alright, us Chattanoogans come by our stereotypes for a reason I suppose.
I'm sure you're one of the "good" ones. :winking-tongue

Edit: What happened to the emojis? O.o
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I browse the forum on my phone... I can't access the new emojis list unless I switch from mobile view to desktop view. I just use the emojis on my phone's keyboard instead of the forum emojis instead
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:22 am
I browse the forum on my phone... I can't access the new emojis list unless I switch from mobile view to desktop view. I just use the emojis on my phone's keyboard instead of the forum emojis instead
I always typed them in manually, like a geezer.
:D and such.

I browse on my phone, aswell(android). The emojis are listed in a vertical scrolling column(single file), to the far right of the page, just below the font menu.

It's technology run amok! :zany
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Android, Chrome browser app:
Mobile viewImage
Desktop view
Spydergirl88
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

That's exactly like my mobile view.

You can scroll down through the single file list of emojis.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just don't like change. Haha

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Oh I get it now. Amazing what you can learn from sum dum guy... :zany
Spydergirl88
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Also it's a little better if you landscape view.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not sure how I feel about this situation. I've followed this guy for a couple years now, not very closely but as other's have said...he does handle quite a few different knives so I like to see what he's got to compare to other models I already have/had.

I saw his first apology video and was wondering what was going on, did some research into it and then saw his second video. I too like to think MOST people in this community are good people. I clearly don't know all the ins and outs of anything he's involved in, but he SOUNDS sincere in his apology and HOPEFULLY will do right to all these people. How this plays out over the next few weeks will be telling. If he indeed did lose his mother to a long illness, is now expecting a child and of course everything else that comes up in life on a day to day basis...I can empathize with that. He just needs to straighten everything out for EVERY ONE effected.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:13 am
I'm not sure how I feel about this situation. I've followed this guy for a couple years now, not very closely but as other's have said...he does handle quite a few different knives so I like to see what he's got to compare to other models I already have/had.

I saw his first apology video and was wondering what was going on, did some research into it and then saw his second video. I too like to think MOST people in this community are good people. I clearly don't know all the ins and outs of anything he's involved in, but he SOUNDS sincere in his apology and HOPEFULLY will do right to all these people. How this plays out over the next few weeks will be telling. If he indeed did lose his mother to a long illness, is now expecting a child and of course everything else that comes up in life on a day to day basis...I can empathize with that. He just needs to straighten everything out for EVERY ONE effected.
Eh, I don't know...if this is something that has been a problem for years (as it appears to be) I find it difficult to place much credence in his current excuses.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve watched a few of his videos, and thought them sound enough.

My first thought was that it must be the same old story, though, mistakenly conflating views/subscriber numbers with your own competency in business matters - but if it’s repeat poor behaviour, that might be different.

Let’s see if he puts it all right.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have no dog in this fight, and I have not watched any of his videos to my knowledge, but the excuses I see above match so many other previous similar issues with other scammers that I do not expect a good outcome. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:13 am

Rick, I also want to see "the good" in this guy and I certainly think everyone should forgive him!

But:
Don´t know if you watched Supersteel Steves vids. Really (!) hard words, but I think if this is true (and it actually convinces me) one can hardly deny that Slicey was capable to do a TON of work, vids, "brews and blades", be in a good mood obviously... but still scammed folks for over a year?! Cause his life was so bad that he could not make it to the post office and could not send a lot of folks stuff he really owed them?
I am absolutely for "shiny footprints", but imho there is a point where stuff really needs to be called out. And, as said, this has nothing to do with still forgiving the guy - we all are far from perfect, that´s for sure (at least I am... far from I mean... ;) )

[Edit: Deleted the direct links to Supersteel Steves honest, but very harsh vids. Calling out is necessary imho, but I feel now like this would go a bit to far]
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:47 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:39 am
There are only a few YouTube channels that I follow, but none of them are knife-related. And I don’t pay anything to them.

If there were a hard-to-find version of a knife I was interested in, I would only buy it if it were available at a trusted dealer, not from a private party. Otherwise, I wouldn’t bother with the knife. I know there are good people out there, but personally, I don’t like taking chances with my money, if I can avoid it.

Jim
Jim, this is just my experience:

If buying a knife used (which I admittedly do not too often), I most times exchange two or several emails with the seller - such conversations happen almost automatically, if the seller is a knife person like I am myself.
And, if he / she turns out to be a "knife person": I never, ever had bad experiences in the slightest. In my experience the knife community is a rather good one. It seems like folks who share the love and fascination for knives are most times very honest and trustworthy to each other.

Thanks, Wartstein.

Yes, in the past, I had positive dealings with another knife person who lived on the east coast that I communicated with through another knife forum. Everything went well. He was a good guy.

But that was over 20 years ago. I wouldn't do the same today, especially since I can get what I want through a number of different reputable online dealers.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

aaronkb wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:30 am
I hope you can square things up with him. Everybody makes mistakes. If he owns up to it and makes things right then great. I believe in forgiveness.
Agreed. I’m real big on forgiveness and I think that sentiment has been missing in the general discussion around this debacle. As you said, contingent on him taking responsibility and making it right. I know it’s not your style to make a video about this but I do think you could add a lot (some necessary humanity) to the discussion. What Steve’s doing is important, I’d just like to see somebody with a platform balance him out with a bit of mercy.
I don’t have a platform and I have never made a YouTube video. I also don’t have much time for the drama. Steve is a little too intense in my opinion but that is for Dicey to deal with. I realize people have been burned but I have no dog in this fight.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:45 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:30 am
I hope you can square things up with him. Everybody makes mistakes. If he owns up to it and makes things right then great. I believe in forgiveness.
Agreed. I’m real big on forgiveness and I think that sentiment has been missing in the general discussion around this debacle. As you said, contingent on him taking responsibility and making it right. I know it’s not your style to make a video about this but I do think you could add a lot (some necessary humanity) to the discussion. What Steve’s doing is important, I’d just like to see somebody with a platform balance him out with a bit of mercy.
I don’t have a platform and I have never made a YouTube video. I also don’t have much time for the drama. Steve is a little too intense in my opinion but that is for Dicey to deal with. I realize people have been burned but I have no dog in this fight.
Dude

I’ve confused you for Deadboxhero in multiple threads 😂 aawwwwkwaaaard
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

All good! Two different bears. 😎
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:24 pm
I have no dog in this fight, and I have not watched any of his videos to my knowledge, but the excuses I see above match so many other previous similar issues with other scammers that I do not expect a good outcome. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...
Agreed. I’ve seen this play out online many many times before. Same scam, different person. When they’re a “big deal” in whatever community, the excuses and apologies always come out like this once it catches up to them and their online reputation takes a dive.

Life’s too short to support or get involved with scammy mcscsammerson. He can apologize till the sun comes up but it makes no difference to what I now think of him based on his pattern of behavior.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:02 am
Oh I get it now. Amazing what you can learn from sum dum guy... :zany
Perhaps, true knowledge is knowing that you don't know...

O.o???

-Thomas Jefferson
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:01 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:24 pm
Agreed. I’ve seen this play out online many many times before. Same scam, different person. When they’re a “big deal” in whatever community, the excuses and apologies always come out like this once it catches up to them and their online reputation takes a dive.

Life’s too short to support or get involved with scammy mcscsammerson. He can apologize till the sun comes up but it makes no difference to what I now think of him based on his pattern of behavior.
Resolution
He is sending a S35vn tenacious
it’s not exactly what wife and I ordered, however it’s a response and at least he admitted what he did, I believe in redemption and self inventory
',:-| :crying-face
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red