Could you EDC only a Ladybug or Manbug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

EDC Jester, Manbug, or Ladybug only for a month.

Yes, I can do that.
55%
No, it is too small.
31%
Are you out of your mind?
7%
I already EDC only of these knives as my main user.
7%

Total votes: 95

Albertaboyscott

Re: Could you EDC only a Ladybug or Manbug?

Post by Albertaboyscott »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:15 am
Could I get by with just a manbug? yeah. it could cut the things I need to cut.

But it would be incredibly uncomfortable to use. It would create more work for me by having to perform more cuts to complete the same task. It would be more cumbersome to retrieve out of my pocket. It would be a lot more difficult to manipulate in my hands. etc. etc.

Could I? Sure. Would I? No.
X2. It's a great little knife but would be hard
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 pm
EDC a ladybug or manbug for a month - absolutely. I have solely carried them for over a month many times. There is a difference in edc and general knife usage, though. While I may only have a manbug on me, there are other knives available close by, either in a vehicle or throughout the home.

Not many people only own one knife. If this were a poll about solely one knife to use for everything for an entire month, then the answer would be no. But for a good, usable, edc pocket knife, absolutely.
Exactly how I think about the small knives, but I can be a bit long winded and my point gets lost in the tl;dr sometimes.

I also think that those who state that they could, but won’t, should probably vote no. Most of us could do just about anything we set our mind to, and I don’t understand this to be that kind of challenge (or a challenge at all), but rather where you set the bar regarding what’s convenient enough in every day life.
If you have big mitts and/or do prolonged/hard/demanding work with your knife, that obviously raises the bar for what’s a convenient size. If you regularly have to go get another knife because you’re EDC gets to painful or impractical to use, and basically ends up slowing you down… you’re carrying the wrong EDC.
For my (mostly) office job and small mitts, a small knife is more often an asset rather than an inconvenience, the obvious answer is YES, I can EDC only a male or female bug for a prolonged time, and I have done so.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I could, but don’t really want to. My wife’s only edc for like 4yrs and counting though is her pink Ladybug… (Thanks Cutlery Shoppe!!!)
:spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Absolutely. In fact, a Ladybug is all I carry Monday through Friday. (Not much to cut in the daily office setting). On weekends, I’ll add a few other models to the mix along with the Ladybug. Works well. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

There's a saying in the photography world, that "The best camera is the one that is with you"... I've carried Ladybugs and Manbugs probably more than any other of my knives, because they're on my keychain, or slipped into my pocket and forgotten about, just in case of emergencies. Because of this, I've actually used them for more EDC tasks than any other. Sometimes, pushing them beyond what they were originally intended for (I broke down a set of boxes for a bed frame and mattress using a Ladybug alone. It was a huge amount of cardboard and reinforced plastic straps, I can tell you.)!

I do prefer somewhat larger knives than these, and find them more versatile (Especially for food prep, or woodwork.), and the edge retention with more blade length is better. However, for the sorts of tasks one performs in today's modern world (Which often just involves getting into packaging.), a tiny blade can often do the job.

'Super Steels' (ZDP-189, HAP-40, and now K390) do tend to hold up better than the regular VG-10 variants, and I definitely prefer the FFG's over the Saber's on Ladybug or Manbug sized blades. These super steels are especially not-fun to sharpen on blades this small, but they buy you the edge retention needed to do harder jobs in a pinch.

I prefer the Ladybug blade (It's thinner, and pointier, without the 'hunting knife' belly profile of the Manbug.), but the lock strength, feel, and deployment of the Manbug is definitely better in the hand.

The Ladybug in particular is a great 'Gentleman's' blade, which is unlikely to intimidate (Any blade will make some people uncomfortable, admittedly. Lockbacks will also violate some laws, even on absurdly small blades. Spyderco would probably make good money on a SLIPITS Ladybug-sized keychain knife in Western Europe or the UK.)... It has a nice shape and thinness (I'm talking FFG versions. Still not sure why they insist on making Saber-ground Ladybugs anymore.) for 'civilized' things like cleaning one's fingernails, opening blister packs, opening envelopes, piercing shrink-wrap, etc.

Long story short... Can one EDC a Ladybug or Manbug? Yes... I've done so for years, at times, depending upon my work. Would I prefer a larger blade? Often times, yes. Is it always necessary? Most of the times, no; at least for the sorts of normal urban-lifestyle tasks that one encounters.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I did used to carry a red-handed Ladybug for several years on my keyring, but finally took it off, because I wasn't using it. I hate trying to use a little knife that's attached to a keyring.

One reason I would not use a Ladybug or Manbug as my SOLE carry knife is because where I live, the laws are not restricting me to a locking knife that small. So I'm choosing to exercise that freedom to carry larger than that. :) I'm not suggesting that anyone who chooses to only carry a tiny knife isn't exercising their freedom. I'm saying it's what I'm choosing in my case. I may carry one as a supplemental carry knife, but not as my sole EDC knife.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I do carry a Manbug Salt daily but not as my primary.

For me, Spydies are not just utilitarian objects but sensory ones as well. I like their feel in hand. They’re comforting to me (think worry-beads). I do some of my deepest thinking while swept up in fondling a Spydie of sufficient size.

Bugs are not of sufficient size.

EDIT: In a recent deep thought, it occurred to me that much physics (which I don’t think about enough) is wrapped up in folding knives, and, so, when I have a given Spydie in hand, another of my profound enjoyments is pondering what design-choices the Glessers and their collaborators have made to stay out of physics’ way.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:30 pm
I did used to carry a red-handed Ladybug for several years on my keyring, but finally took it off, because I wasn't using it. I hate trying to use a little knife that's attached to a keyring.

Jim
I don't like that, either, on a knife that small. A Roadie is okay in that regard. I just like to drop a Manbug or Ladybug (don't have a Jester) down in my pocket. I also carry a Ladybug in my pajamas just in case I have to evacuate in the night or go to the hospital (both things I have done). The Ladybug Hawk is really nice in that regard as it is so light it is like a tissue in the pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

Add me to the people saying I could, but I wouldn't like it.

I got into most of "knife habits" years ago when I actually used a knife every day to, well, cut things, because I had a much more active, hands on career. But then I went to college, then back to college again, and today I'm a cubicle jockey with a knife fetish. That said, I'm not at work ALL the time and occasionally I do need a real knife.

It's also just about the fact I a knife that's comfortable to use, and for me the Endura sized or so knives have always been about the right spot. I don't have long fingers but I a bigger palm to finger ratio than some people, and fingers like sausages. Something about the slightly larger knives has always appealed to me.

I do have a wharny Manbug, I have it slipped into the pocket of my work badge ID holder where it absolutely vanishes. It's just sort of a little backup/good luck charm/"Anyone have a knife?" type thing for me. It would certainly work as a practical EDC for me in all probability.

What I could do, and not feel deprived (just bored) would be the Dodo. The Dodo was amazing.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:47 am
Currently I'm looking at small wharncliffes. I've never owned one in any size, but I can't help thinking that it might be the best compromise for the variation of cutting tasks I do on a regular basis.
I've also discovered/gotten used to back pocket carry lately, which opens the door for slightly larger knives, but the Manbug is still a viable choice, and size matter even there, so I'm not considering anything lager than a DF2.
The DF2 wharncliffe is pretty great!
/ David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well it’s been a month and I’m still carrying a manbug. I just switched over yesterday from my light weight to my G 10 model and to tell the truth I haven’t missed a bigger knife. The little bugs are still going strong. I carry a Hartville lady bug salt around with me when I’m in my pajamas and a manbug every other time. Are use a roadie to open packages by the door. I’m just saying that with these little guys I don’t really miss having a larger life. Except for this one time, and that is when I’m trying to slice and eat an apple.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bigger blades work better for most tasks I do, but I've got a K390 Ladybug incoming so I'll give it a shot. ;)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I could use a jester or manbug with lanyard or keys attached for more grip but it wouldn’t be ideal as a sole knife.
Torogoz

Post by Torogoz »

I would be fine with nothing but my K390 Manbug. For both my Ladybugs and Manbug, I finally followed the advice that I had read many times on this forum and put a small fob on it. It made more of a difference than I could have ever imagined. My Manbug with a small piece of knotted lanyard fits my large hand every bit as well as my Dragonfly.

I have to shout out the Byrd Starling 2 and the Finch 2: both great little knives. The Finch 2 might be the best designed small knife that's out there. The finger choil makes it incredible in the hand. The Starling 2 in BD1 is also great. I was sad to see it was discontinued. I'd get one while you still can.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I had to stop and think about what I actually do with a knife versus what I imagine I do or would think I might do. Thinking about what I actually do led me to the conclusion that nowadays most of my knife usage is around the house and occasionally in public where knives are frowned upon. So the small knives are a good choice. I will say the Delica is still my favorite all around knife, but right now I am doing just fine with a Manbug, Roadie, or Ladybug.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

If I had one I would give it a shot...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:22 am
The Case Peanut is a similar sized knife and went to the moon. I think you need one of these, perhaps a Salt or GITD?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I've tried a few three-finger sized knives in the past, but for me an EDC knife needs to have a real four finger grip. Lil Native is about as small as I would carry by itself, although functionally for me it's a knife for occasions when I want something small and unobtrusive. Spend a lot of time in the outdoors and working around my acreage and a Manbug is just too small. Even the Lil Native is really too small for that. Delica is about the smallest proper all around EDC knife for me. The sweet spot for me is Stretch/Endela/PM2.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:26 am
tonijedi wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:22 am
The Case Peanut is a similar sized knife and went to the moon. I think you need one of these, perhaps a Salt or GITD?
Definitely a Salt, as my current religion doesn't allow me any non-salt knives :winking-tongue
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:49 am
I've tried a few three-finger sized knives in the past, but for me an EDC knife needs to have a real four finger grip. Lil Native is about as small as I would carry by itself, although functionally for me it's a knife for occasions when I want something small and unobtrusive. Spend a lot of time in the outdoors and working around my acreage and a Manbug is just too small. Even the Lil Native is really too small for that. Delica is about the smallest proper all around EDC knife for me. The sweet spot for me is Stretch/Endela/PM2.
Yeah, if I still had the ranch I would choose a Delica for sure, and likely an Endura or Stretch. But, I don't have it anymore and a small pocket knife is all I really need these days.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050