The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by Evil D »

Superflex wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:12 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:00 am
Looks like a "solution looking for a problem" but if people like it then I guess more power to them. I'd rather see the button version made on more models.
Guess you've never experienced arthritis or neuropathy in your hands. This could be a godsend for people with those issues who have comp locks.

I dont put lanyard baubles, aftermarket scales or clips on my knives, but I keep my mouth shut when I see others do it.

Agree the button comp lock on the Smock is the bees knees

Ah I should keep my mouth shut?

Gotcha. Carry on then.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Superflex

Re: The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by Superflex »

Some people just have their opinion known, I guess.
To each his own
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Superflex wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:33 am
Some people just have their opinion known, I guess.
To each his own

I thought it was a discussion forum. Not every opinion will support yours, otherwise it would be a support group.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never had an issue using the comp lock on my P2 with either hand. Super easy. However, some people do not have dexterity in their hands and I can see where this type of gadget could be of use. I would worry it would come off unless the tab were drilled and the part put on with the addition of a screw and glue. It is not something I would personally buy, but there are some who may feel different, just as there are going to be some who wonder why it was ever invented. That is what makes the world go round.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hah funny, I actually watched this video last night! Throughout the whole thing I was saying to myself, "but.. why?" It definitely seemed like a solution in search of a problem kind of thing to me.. by the end though, I understood why subsets of people might find this product quite useful.. especially lefties. If it helps people enjoy the compression lock, i'm all for its existence..

Personally, I doubt I'll ever buy one..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

To me this is in the same category as a zip tie on the hole or the wave feature on a knife. I have 0 interest in any of them but if it appeals to people then why not? Also this could be interesting because if something like this takes off then I am sure Spyderco will notice and maybe alter future development such as the button lock or some other modified version of the compression lock.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sal said they were evaluating options when comp lock issues are mentioned. It would not surprise me to see something arrive from Spyderco eventually. But, we have to remember that comp lock knives in their current iteration are top sellers. That likely means the majority are not seeing negatives with the comp lock.
I myself have mentioned I'd like to see a folded tab on the comp lock that would ease activation and close up some of the gap created by the vertical tab style lock.

Edited: Many Typos
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I'm glad for the open discussions and opinions right now regarding this instead of the usual "mountain out of a molehill" dismissive attitude with regards to this product.

I think its not just a gimmick, but a serious effort to make the compression lock much better for non-right handed people, or people with nerve, muscle and wrist issues. That extra height like I said earlier translates into mechanical leverage in lock operation for non-righties. I hope Spyderco will consider this in future evaluations for compression lock improvements.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

It's been brought up before, viewtopic.php?t=88697 and I even 3d printed one and tested it. I say if the device is made from metal and screwed to the lock-bar in a discrete manner it would definitely help left handers like myself or possibly those with joint problems. I honestly think Blades We Love has a better solution with their button lock PM2 mod.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I can see some benefits but I think it's too tall. When the lock moves further from wear it would cause premature unlocking if gripped wrong. I would think something thinner/short would be more appropriate. You'd still get the benefit of easier use but less likely to accidentally disengage the lock. I personally wouldn't buy this. I'd rather see spyderco expand on the autonomy compression lock design/button lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:27 am
It's been brought up before, viewtopic.php?t=88697 and I even 3d printed one and tested it. I say if the device is made from metal and screwed to the lock-bar in a discrete manner it would definitely help left handers like myself or possibly those with joint problems. I honestly think Blades We Love has a better solution with their button lock PM2 mod.

Thanks!
I was not aware of that thread when I started this one... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote: .... I'd rather see spyderco expand on the autonomy compression lock design/button lock.
Evil D wrote:
Yep, the button compression lock seems to solve the "issues" some people have with the regular comp.lock.
Only downside as far as I see (could be wrong though): In its current form it requires some cutout in the blade, so no choil comp.lock knives like the Caribbean would not be an option...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Reminds me of the PM2 Ultra Mod by BladesWeLove. It's a modified left hand PM2 that converts the compression lock into a makeshift button lock.

http://bladeswelove.com/wp-content/uplo ... .13-PM.jpg
(http://bladeswelove.com)
- Nick :bug-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 am
VashHash wrote: .... I'd rather see spyderco expand on the autonomy compression lock design/button lock.
Evil D wrote:
Yep, the button compression lock seems to solve the "issues" some people have with the regular comp.lock.
Only downside as far as I see (could be wrong though): In its current form it requires some cutout in the blade, so no choil comp.lock knives like the Caribbean would not be an option...
The autonomy 2 doesn't have a choil.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:48 am

The autonomy 2 doesn't have a choil.
That looks like it could be a folding mule.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Never saw an "improvement" I didn't like, except this time.
With a Shaman, perhaps.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 am
Just came across this vid https://youtu.be/RDv07o5new8 about a device that presumably can make the comp.lock easier to operate.
Basically a piece of G10 attached to the lock tab that makes the tab thicker and much wider, so one does not have to put the finger in the sometimes pretty small cutout of the comp.lock anymore

Here is a screenshot:

Not sure what I think of this device, but it could potentially be an improvement:

- Easier to operate the lock with cold, numb fingers or gloves (or with impaired motor skills in the fingers)
- Especially for big hands there is no need anymore to "find into" the small comp.lock cutout
- Perhaps (!) better ergos, since the cutout at the top of the handle (for me really "hotspotty") is not there anymore (but perhaps the device creates a hotspot too)
- One really minor thing that is mentioned in the vid: The "Shaman nub" can´t hit the finger anymore when closing the knife (not an issue at all for me though)

Potential cons:

- Easier to accidentally activate the lock when the knife is in use
- Durability?? (The thing is glued on)
- Don´t like the looks... ;)

What do you all think?
Doesn't look like an improvement to me.

Looks like someone was very bored and just sitting around thinking stuff up.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gull wing wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:35 pm
Never saw an "improvement" I didn't like, except this time.
With a Shaman, perhaps.
Funny thing is: I do think this thing could be an improvement in certain cases, but looking at it it is hard to actually like it...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chuck James wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 am
Doesn't look like an improvement to me.

Looks like someone was very bored and just sitting around thinking stuff up.
If you literally mean how it looks, I am with you. For me it does look somewhat crude and not elegant.

Functionwise speaking I think you're perhaps a bit harsh: Might be that in your use a device of that kind makes no sense (or probably in most use cases.
But as even this thread shows:
The comp.lock (like any lock!) has its "weaker" sides, being for example harder to use with gloves, numb or impaired fingers, for lefties and this especially on narrow handles and with small cutouts.
Another being the less-than-ideal ergos on real hard use due to the "hotspotty" cutout.
This device is at least an attempt to improve on this imho.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:40 am
I agree. People grind it off all the time because it hits their finger. I honestly don't see how it is an issue. You disengage the lock, swing the blade down and release the lock and your finger shouldn't be there when the blade hits home. Why keep your finger there? It's like with the amalgam. People grind off the flipper because it hits their finger. Move your finger! It's really that simple...
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:27 am
Never had an issue with the nub on the shaman either. The way I flick it closed my finger is never there when it hits home.
That's the difference then, I don't flick a compression knife closed. The beauty of the compression lock is that your finger is not in the way of the blade. You can hold a compression lock open and slow roll the knife blade closed using gravity. Compression locks make the most of drop-shut action. The nub on the shaman is the first I've experienced part of the blade contacting the lock face. It's not dangerous, but it's annoying.
Cricket Bite wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:56 am
To me this is in the same category as a zip tie on the hole or the wave feature on a knife. I have 0 interest in any of them but if it appeals to people then why not? Also this could be interesting because if something like this takes off then I am sure Spyderco will notice and maybe alter future development such as the button lock or some other modified version of the compression lock.
I think the zip-tie wave feature is an appropriate comparison. I got into knives after that whole fad died down, and personally I think zip ties look stupid as **** for zero added benefit. This looks cleaner than that, but I guess I can see how people would see it as dumb looking and not helpful.