Stretch 2 Blade Shape

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

Stretch 2 Blade Shape

Post by sethwm »

Can someone help me understand the Stretch 2 blade shape? I don't mean that sarcastically. It's got an unusual shape, and it's classified as a hunter's knife. Is it's shape conducive to skinning or other hunting tasks?

I'm looking forward to seeing more straight spine versions. I'm a big fan of the stretch's size (large but sub 3.5"), as well as its ergos (finger choil) and the lock back (nice and solid). 20CV/M390 version would be much appreciated. K390 looks real good but it wouldn't see too much pocket time because of sweat/corrosion.
VooDooChild

Re: Stretch 2 Blade Shape

Post by VooDooChild »

Skinning. Its good at other stuff too.

Ill let the people who love that blade shape chime in and tell you how good it is for everything.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sethwm,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Functionally it can make the blade tip stronger, it's sort of like a leaf shape with a curve in the spine, at least in how the tip is shaped vs a leaf.

A thinner height blade can sometimes reach into tighter places that a straight spine may not. Worker for example.

It makes the overall thickness of the blade thinner, since the spine is effectively lower in the blade grind so it's down the V shape where the blade is thinner. I'm sure this is a very small difference but it's there. Might make it slice just slightly better in rigid materials.

Maybe some slight weight difference, again very small but it's there.

Aesthetically it's subjective. I admit I didn't care for it at first but it's now a Stretch trait that I kinda miss from the straight spine version. There's a bit less character. The straight spine has already been called a "back lock Para 2" and that just shows how it's now so similar to other models. I likes the uniqueness but I wouldn't want them all curvy.

Slightly narrower when folded and in your pocket. Again, small but it's there.

Can maybe cut curves in rigid materials better since a short height blade makes turns easier.

It was said that this was one of Sal's personal designs so maybe he just likes it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I just recently got a stretch, and to me it just looks like a good, utilitarian blade shape. My first Seki model, solid build and no blade play. A little sharp on the edges but I can fix that with a sharpmaker rod. Enjoy it so much I finally ordered an Endela, and the wife her first personal knife, a purple delica.

One thing I like about the stretch shape is the high hump. Reminds me of the jot Singh kolsa, maybe a little less extreme! Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Stretch blade shape actually is the best and most versatile for my taste! (Though I am talking more about the Stretch 1, which has some slight differences to the Stretch 2 (a bit pointier tip, longer edge, shallower choil)_

- Due to the thin blade and tapering it has a fine, useful tip, but still pretty strong due to the "drop" towards the tip: Best of both worlds for me
- The a bit wider tip also works better for spreading stuff
- The "inward curve" of the spine is great for putting thumb or index finger there and press it back against the "hump"
- It has a long, totally straight edge (great for whittling and the like, and cuts like a wharnie there), but then a pretty pronounced belly towards the tip (perfect for grabbing the blade in a pinch grip in its front part and work with that belly - fine carving, probably skinning, and so on)

What I´d really wish for: A longer blade in the exact same handle of the Stretch 2 (there would be space for that!) - as it is, the clearly more compact Stretch 1 has a bit longer blade, and noticeable more cutting edge (81 vs 75 mm, that´s about the difference between a Para 3 and a Manix 2 LW)), one of the reasons why I still prefer it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is just a drop point which is common for hunting. What makes it look odd is the addition of a hump to allow for the hole.

Drop points help prevent poking stuff with the tip by giving you a little spine to keep the tip away from stuff.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

As a rancher and boat captain, hunting guide, I love the stretch
I am very pleased with its shape for edc , and really don’t worry about rust from sweaty pants
Or environmental conditions, my vtoku-2 is carbon steel and IMO k390 will fair well in a pocket
As long as you don’t use it-and then put it in a drawer for a couple of months after swimming in Salt Lake City
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

What I don’t understand is the gravitation back to the original blade shape. When the drop point was the only option everyone was clamoring for the SS. Now that the SS is out,in an awesome steel, people are saying they prefer the drop point.

I love the SS, and hope the XL SS follows suit with K390!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I absolutely love the robust tip on the regular stretch. The more rounded tip does a good job processing meat, doesn't poke through the skin like straight spline.

Really the straight spline looks so much better! Now that it has been out for a while people that love the original stretch 1&2 recognize the blade shape was a big reason. I still believe that the straight spline is here to stay, since it probably sells better.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful discussion. And thanks for the welcome, sal!

I have a delica k390 hanging in the garage for tearing down cardboard. Maybe I’ll give it some pocket time and see how it fares with the corrosion.

Anyone know why they went with a straight spine for k390? Just market demand or is there something with that steel that is better with straight?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:59 pm
What I don’t understand is the gravitation back to the original blade shape. When the drop point was the only option everyone was clamoring for the SS. Now that the SS is out,in an awesome steel, people are saying they prefer the drop point.

I love the SS, and hope the XL SS follows suit with K390!
:confused: "Everyone was clamoring for the SS"?? - I think there were some who wanted to see a straight spine on the Stretch, but mostly just as an alternative version, not replacement.
It seems to me that people who actually used and tried the original Stretch rather loved the blade shape (me included) - there are a lot of straight spine, very pointy Spydies to choose from already, the original Stretch blade shape is something really special imho thar has to be experienced.

Sure, there were/are assumptions that the "funky" bladeshape was partly responsible for the not-so-great sales of the Stretch, but I don't think so (but of course can't know)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

All I'd like to add is that I'd be really really disappointed if the original shape Spyderco drop point blade would entirely disappear. There's already no UKPK with that blade anymore. There used to be - or do they still produce it? I don't think so. It's a super versatile blade shape. Please keep it in production in a regular model.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 am
All I'd like to add is that I'd be really really disappointed if the original shape Spyderco drop point blade would entirely disappear. There's already no UKPK with that blade anymore. There used to be - or do they still produce it? I don't think so. It's a super versatile blade shape. Please keep it in production in a regular model.
+1
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Stretch LW is one of my all-time favorite knife designs. It fits my hand in a wide variety of grips like it was custom molded for it, plenty of cutting edge, enough belly and point to be useful, and visually pleasing with the curve to the spine of the blade. The Stretch 2 changed the ergonomics and proportions enough that it's a pretty ho-hum nothing special knife. The magic is gone; the only thing it still has going for it is the sexy curves. And now those are going away in favor of a straight spine like half the catalog already has?!?! Alas, how the mighty have fallen.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One other reason I like the regular shape is for modding potential. I'd love to see something like this make it into production. I plan on doing my SE version like this.

I could swear those pics were posted here once but I couldn't find them, I stole those from Bladeforums :o
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:37 am
One other reason I like the regular shape is for modding potential. I'd love to see something like this make it into production. I plan on doing my SE version like this.
---
I could swear those pics were posted here once but I couldn't find them, I stole those from Bladeforums :o

Nice (though I still prefer the "unmodded" shape) - but it looks like as if the blade had been shortened too?!
Which would be a shame, cause one of the great things of the Stretch 1 (also as opposed to the "2") is the long blade and especially cutting edge the very compact handle houses (on all Spydies WITH a real finger choil only the Caly 3.5 is better in that regard as far as I know)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:37 am

If I had a stretch, it would end up something like this.
sal

Post by sal »

Sales are always a big part of what stays around. The Stretch was to fill the 3.5" size range, but it didn't do what we'd/I'd hoped. It had to be the blade shape or the finger choil. I designed the Endela to serve the same function, and it does do better in sales. Straight Spine and no finger choil. The Straight spine Stretch also serves the 3.5" so and time will tell.

The main advantage of the drop point is better in processing game and it turns easier in the cut. Both points mentioned by David and Darby. Today I carried a straight spine stretch in K390. Had to go into Denver, where 3.5" is the max legal length.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sal, as a big game hunter, I covet the properties that your SpydieChef brings to the table. Mucho thanks.