It would be really cool if Spyderco could switch from 8Cr13MoV for budget blades to 14C28N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rp5

Re: It would be really cool if Spyderco could switch from 8Cr13MoV for budget blades to 14C28N

Post by Rp5 »

I get that budget means keep costs down, but the competition is already using better budget steels. Searching online distributors in the $50-$75 space, some of the stronger Chinese competitors offer models in: AR-RPM9, D2, 14C28N, 154CM, 9Cr18MoV, N690, Nitro-V, and VG-10. I looked at 6 companies, none of them use 8Cr13MoV. I think that puts serious pressure on Spyderco to upgrade their steel choice. If that ends up being 9Cr, that's fine, but I agree I'd be more interested in 14C28N.
Baron Mind

Re: It would be really cool if Spyderco could switch from 8Cr13MoV for budget blades to 14C28N

Post by Baron Mind »

I think Spyderco could switch to 14c28n if they wanted to. 14c28n is clearly the best all around budget steel, and any price increase would almost surely pale in comparison to the increase in performance we would see.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:15 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:15 pm
Just swap it for 9cr, like civivi
Civivi's 9cr is pretty amazing. Pete (Cedric and Ada) got a LOT of cuts out of a Praxis after he reprofiled it (something like 200+ on his twisted sisal rope). 90 on the factory edge I believe. The 9cr out cut a LOT of steels people feel are better. I think people look down on any XCR steels because they're chinese, but with good treatment 9cr does very well. I certainly haven't had any problems out of my Civivi blades in 9cr, and it's easy to sharpen, gets really sharp with minimal effort, and stays sharp for a good while. In fact, I just got a Civivi Kepler (fixed blade) in 9cr. It was pretty sharp out of the box, but I gave it a run on a few stones anyway. Took it outside and started cutting on some sticks and that thing will CUT. It's pretty thin behind the edge, but after all the slicing, light chopping, carving, it is still hair shaving sharp. Very impressive. Not a wilderness survival blade by any means, but if it is all I had it would do the job.

I'm confident Sal and the gang could get the heat treat right. Would also keep prices down if they used a domestically available steel as well.
I bought four of the 9Cr18Mo mules when they came out, and it’s a steel with very respectable performance in my testing, especially in light of the price. I recall Sal saying their Chinese maker couldn’t use it because it can’t be punch blanked like 8Cr can.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Baron Mind wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:32 am
I think Spyderco could switch to 14c28n if they wanted to. 14c28n is clearly the best all around budget steel, and any price increase would almost surely pale in comparison to the increase in performance we would see.
People seem to forget that the point of the budget line is to be a good knife for a budget price. Spyderco should consider upping their game in the budget steel market as Chinese competitors already have, but 9Cr18 is probably the most cost effective way to do that. Or working to develop a better Chinese domestic steel like CJRB did.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Baron Mind wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:32 am
I think you have an inflated perception of this "performance" increase.
Go look at Pete's (Cedric and Ada...) spreadsheet with high-low ranges for cutting performance by steel. Look at any table of community-gathered hardness tests on $50 knives.
The range across test samples is just as wide for 14c28n as for 8cr13MoV. Edge thickness is certainly part of that effect, but not all of it.

With the furnaces/techniques used on these knives, it may not be possible to cool quickly enough to get past HRC 61 in 14c28n. If you want higher hardness, you may need to go with a steel like 9Cr (aka 440B edit: actually, more like a blend between 8cr and VG-10 in composition) and give up some toughnesswhoops, edit again: here's 'plain' 9cr18.)

Spyderco is juggling many variables with budget knives, and they're not in direct control of very many of them.
Last edited by JacksonKnives on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
—Daniel Jackson
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Jackson,

I agree. We're looking into a switch to 9Cr now.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Upgraded steel in a budget knife seems contradictory. They are made for the average Joe who doesn’t care about much more than price. I see no issue with increasing performance but if it comes with added cost then that defeats the purpose of the knife in the first place.

As far as what other companies are using in Chinese knives, I don’t care. I don’t believe the tang stamp on most of them anyway. You want 14c28n printed on the blade? They can do that for you.

Also agree that China isn’t the only option. If Thailand can build Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles why can’t they build knives? If Ontario and Kabar can make budget knives in Taiwan then why can’t Spyderco.

This was $20 and is aus8 and made in Taiwan. You can get it in D2 for about $30. Quality isn’t bad and I would take it over any Byrd.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Not a huge fan of 8cr13mov , except it is super easy to bring back to razor and working sharp
I was given a Chinese delica knockoff, it is marked 440c , but is ??? , holds a razor sharp edge for
A super long time, very stainless, and hard steel, I guess my point is Chinese budget steel is a box of chocolate ( don’t know what you’re getting in quality) ! I understand bohler has set up shop to “”help “” the knife manufacturers in China with heat treatment ( bohler China), wonder what this “ firebyrde) “ delica really is, it’s better steel then my BD1 and bd1n, and more stainless then some D2 I have , it’s baffling and makes me wonder what’s happening in China
Switching to a aus8 level steel wouldn’t make me excited :confused:

The knife steel data base app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/knife-ste ... d498892262 )really helps explain the alphabet soup steel names that the manufacturer use
To confuse the consumer :o
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I have a lot of faith in Sal's standards whether it be heat treat or precision of fit.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:37 am
soc_monki wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:
Civivi's 9cr is pretty amazing. Pete (Cedric and Ada) got a LOT of cuts out of a Praxis after he reprofiled it (something like 200+ on his twisted sisal rope). 90 on the factory edge I believe. The 9cr out cut a LOT of steels people feel are better. I think people look down on any XCR steels because they're chinese, but with good treatment 9cr does very well. I certainly haven't had any problems out of my Civivi blades in 9cr, and it's easy to sharpen, gets really sharp with minimal effort, and stays sharp for a good while. In fact, I just got a Civivi Kepler (fixed blade) in 9cr. It was pretty sharp out of the box, but I gave it a run on a few stones anyway. Took it outside and started cutting on some sticks and that thing will CUT. It's pretty thin behind the edge, but after all the slicing, light chopping, carving, it is still hair shaving sharp. Very impressive. Not a wilderness survival blade by any means, but if it is all I had it would do the job.

I'm confident Sal and the gang could get the heat treat right. Would also keep prices down if they used a domestically available steel as well.
I bought four of the 9Cr18Mo mules when they came out, and it’s a steel with very respectable performance in my testing, especially in light of the price. I recall Sal saying their Chinese maker couldn’t use it because it can’t be punch blanked like 8Cr can.
Well that's disappointing. But Sal said they're looking into switching to 9cr, so there is hope!

As for what bearfacedkiller said, certain companies do lie about the steel, and they usually get found out. Companies like We/Civivi, Reate, and a few others have been proven to tell the truth of what steels they use.

I trust Sal to make a wise decision.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:23 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
soc_monki wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:

Well that's disappointing. But Sal said they're looking into switching to 9cr, so there is hope!

As for what bearfacedkiller said, certain companies do lie about the steel, and they usually get found out. Companies like We/Civivi, Reate, and a few others have been proven to tell the truth of what steels they use.

Which 9cr .?
Seems like there’s a couple
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””

Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

Which 9cr .?
9Cr18MoV is what Civivi has used to good effect, what Mule Team 5 was, and I think what most folks mean when they say 9Cr.

JacksonKnives had 9Cr13CoMoV in his comparison link, which is a different animal.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Civivi uses a variety of steels with Nitro-V being the latest. The number in parentheses indicates the number of Civivi models with that steel.

At the lowest price end they used to use 8Cr14MoV but have since moved to 9Cr18MoV.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:

Which 9cr .?
9Cr18MoV is what Civivi has used to good effect, what Mule Team 5 was, and I think what most folks mean when they say 9Cr.

JacksonKnives had 9Cr13CoMoV in his comparison link, which is a different animal.
9Cr16MoV is close to 440c :)
9Cr18MoV Is =440B but with marginally better grain structure
9Cr12Mo1V1 =D2 :) :)
9Cr13CoMoV = Aus-8a
Nitro V = AEB-L :) :) :)

These Chinese alphabet soup steels can get confusing till I looked at the charts

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Nitro-V was created by NJ Steel Baron not China. NJSB “optimized the best qualities of AEB-L by enriching the formula using Nitrogen and Vanadium to create a new ferroalloy that provides exceptional edge performance, high hardness, and extreme corrosion resistance especially in marine and wet environments.”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:39 pm
9Cr18MoV Is =440B but with marginally better grain structure ...
These Chinese alphabet soup steels can get confusing till I looked at the charts
Which charts are you looking at? RamZar addressed Nitro V versus AEB-L but the relationship is more complicated. It's worth checking out Larrin's charts and discussion at Knife Steel Nerds.

I've seen a few people claiming that 9Cr18Mov = 440B lately. The carbon content is similar but they are different steels. Overall, 9Cr18Mov is a little better. Edge retention is a little better in practice. Corrosion resistance is a little better in theory. (I've never had either rust.) That's assuming average knives where it gets an average heat treatment. The thing about Civivi is that they do a fantastic heat treatment on their 9Cr18Mov.
RamZar wrote: ... At the lowest price end they used to use 8Cr14MoV but have since moved to 9Cr18MoV.
This is not correct. Civivi actually started with 9Cr18Mov. Their initial offerings included the Baklash, Praxis, and Naja at $42. The ten knives in 8Cr14Mov are all just different versions of the Fracture. The Fracture was introduced later as a reach down into the sub-$30 market.

Anyway, I'm very excited to see that Sal is exploring 9Cr18Mov. Even with a middle-of-the road heat treatment, it would be a nice step up from 8Cr13Mov. At current pricing, a knife like the Tenacious is dismally overpriced in 8Cr13Mov but would be much more reasonable in 9Cr18Mov. A slight price increase might be okay. The only concern with a higher price tag is how close the competition is with VG-10 and N690.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:11 pm
RamZar wrote: ... At the lowest price end they used to use 8Cr14MoV but have since moved to 9Cr18MoV.

This is not correct. Civivi actually started with 9Cr18Mov. Their initial offerings included the Baklash, Praxis, and Naja at $42. The ten knives in 8Cr14Mov are all just different versions of the Fracture. The Fracture was introduced later as a reach down into the sub-$30 market.

You’re probably more familiar with Civivi than I am. Right now, Civivi has knives in the $40-$99 street price range. At the lowest end it’s 9Cr18MoV, then D2 and at the top Damascus with CF. Their latest have Nitro-V a notch below Damascus. Handle materials are mostly G-10 with some Micarta and CF. I don’t have any Civivi but will get a couple of the Nitro-V models: Nox & Bo.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I recently got the Riffle. That is ground insanely thin and man does 14c28n hold up. Pared back a wildly overgrown bush with it and it didn’t even need to be stripped after. I did, because I’m obsessive, but it didn’t need it. I don’t know what the Rockwell testers would find but it sharpens up like it is treated very hard, and is very stable even at a thin edge. I wish it became the new universal steel under 80 dollars or so.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Yes.
"Some call me...Tim?"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If anything, Spyderco needs to figure out how to lower costs on the Spyderco budget line, not raise them. The Persistance is $50. Compare to Civivi’s Elementum model - D2 steel in a range of colors. Lots of other models at that price (****, the Wyvern just caught my eye…).

And much as I love the Tenacious line, to the average consumer they are fantastically clunky knives. Most people are not going to choose an Ambitious or Persistance when shopping for a small knife.

I’m sure Spyderco knows what they’re doing as a business. But it feels to me like there needs to be a budget version of the Delica at $50.