Shipping to Canada

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hullk

Shipping to Canada

Post by Hullk »

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to know if anyone had any issues shipping to Canada. Specifically, I had my eye on the DLT Trading Dragonfly exclusive and was curious if anyone in Canada had experience with them? I've heard DLT Trading are really good but I don't know about shipping knives across the border and if that's a problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Really enjoying the Spyderco community even if I'm knew to it.

Thanks
GJMcD

Re: Shipping to Canada

Post by GJMcD »

DLT ships quick, but sometimes stuff sits at the border for a couple days, especially if it comes in through Mississauga. I’ve never had anything worse than damaged packaging and fingerprints on back locks like the Dfly, shouldn’t be a problem.
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Ok thanks, is there anything you wouldn't ship such as a PM2 or Shaman or is it generally pretty good?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

That depends on the customs official you happen to get more than it does the shipper.

Some customs officials will pull knives with no justification. Some will let automatics and balisongs through.

If your order goes through with a large lot of other retail stuff, they may be less likely to even look at it. But I've never found a way to take advantage of that.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I've never had a problem with shipment from DLT. they ship quick within a day, and usually gets to me within two weeks, I'm in Ontario. Sometimes it sits in customs though. Them and knivesshipfree have been my best experiences so far and reasonable shipping costs.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Haven't ordered from DLT yet but I get a bunch of stuff from Blade HQ. The Rock Lobster from them is turning up here tomorrow. A couple boxes were opened and inspected but nothing lost or seized.

Right now they're more concerned about collecting tax and fees on everything coming in.
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Oh wow, all the answers have been super encouraging. I will try it out. I've been looking longingly at these sprint runs and exclusives thinking I can't buy them.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I've never ordered from DLT but stopped all cross border purchases on folders after customs seized an endura on me. There is always the risk it gets taken and destroyed by cba because of the one hand opening feature. I wish you luck
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 pm
I've never ordered from DLT but stopped all cross border purchases on folders after customs seized an endura on me. There is always the risk it gets taken and destroyed by cba because of the one hand opening feature. I wish you luck
Hey Albertaboyscott,

Sorry for your loss. I guess I have been lucky recently getting folders shipped up, got a Para 3 Spy27 in the first release. Was your endura seized recently? Last year or two? It seems like 5 or 6 years ago they were grabbing everything.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Was two years ago this July that it was nabbed. Endura hap40. The cba is as consistently stupid w their decisions as the rest of our government. I only order fixed blades from the USA now. Nice to hear others are having success though. Maybe I'll give it another go again if they've eased up. So many great models that don't make it north. I was told eastern canada has better luck bringing in knives than the west. Bc border in particular was named as iffy and that's where mine was taken.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 pm
Are one handed knives an issue in Canada? I'm traveling to Ontario for work soon and plan on bringing a knife or two with me. If customs is going to give me trouble I might have to buy something when I get there (I'll have plenty time to browse online, unless they drop the silly two week quarantine).
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

Are one handed knives an issue in Canada? I'm traveling to Ontario for work soon and plan on bringing a knife or two with me. If customs is going to give me trouble I might have to buy something when I get there (I'll have plenty time to browse online, unless they drop the silly two week quarantine).
[/quote]

Not legally an issue, but Canada Customs can be hit or miss. It’s totally up to the individual officer, for what it’s worth I’ve never even been asked about knives while travelling across the border. Just had to pay duties on a few that got shipped here.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

GJMcD wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:02 pm
Not legally an issue, but Canada Customs can be hit or miss. It’s totally up to the individual officer, for what it’s worth I’ve never even been asked about knives while travelling across the border. Just had to pay duties on a few that got shipped here.
[/quote]

Thanks. I wasn't really thinking it would be a problem since I don't carry autos, assisted or balis, but I'd heard some weird stuff about knives and Canadian customs lately.

I might just bring my ukpk and a sak to be extra safe, that's my UK travel setup and it works well.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Canada is weird. If a business has a permit they can import and sell flipper knives. Any person shipping flippers could have it seized by CBSA. Here is the link,
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Need4Knives

Post by Need4Knives »

I’ve had success purchasing from the Canadian distributor‘Warriors and Wonders’ in BC.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Need4Knives wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:01 pm
I’ve had success purchasing from the Canadian distributor‘Warriors and Wonders’ in BC.
Hi, Need4Knives:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Need4Knives wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:01 pm
The best dealer in Canada. I get all my gear from them.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Recently got in to swapping a couple knives. I had 2 come in around the same time last month. Both were allowed to pass through, but I had to cough up some tax and duties. 1 when through BC and one through Toronto. An inconvenience to say the least, but I was happy the CBA let them through.

Edit - the knives were the spydiechef and the k390 police 4.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Danke

Post by Danke »

For sure Warriors and Wonders or under their other name Blades Canada is solid. Got stuff from there in person or shipped multiple times. And if you compare the pricing to US folks like Blade HQ or DLT you'll be within a couple bucks and you'll get it faster with no customs lag.

The only downside is they don't really do any exclusives so I have to order from the USA to get those. Just got this one last week and no import issues.

blitzkrieg

Post by blitzkrieg »

Hey, im new to the forum. I am uaing Warriors and Wonders too for most knives I have purchased so far. But gambled on a Blade HQ smock exclusive an I was glad it got thru Customs. It was one week hold up and paid additional 18.++ Tax. I have to still pick it up at my post office.