A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Post by JD Spydo »

Danke wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:34 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:41 pm
Danke wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:46 pm
OK so it's settled. Bigger Dodo with corrugated Ti slabs, front flipper and phantom lock.

Make it so!
I have even had a couple of threads over the years begging Spyderco to consider the possibility of a larger scale Dodo model. A larger scale Dodo with a blade about twice or 2.5 times the size of the original design would be great for anyone in a hard job.

The handle design is awesome and fits my hand perfectly in most cases. For those of you who are "thumbs down" on this suggestion I have to ask if you all have ever actually attempted to use one in everyday chores before? I had a negative attitude toward the Dodo until I actually made myself use one. That knife is far more versatile than most people give it credit for.
I like mine a lot the way it is but I'm a big proponent of "Front Flipper All The Things".

What I can't really see is how this could work in wood.
Yeah I see your point completely. I'm not a big fan of wood handles much anymore. With the exception of extremely rare and exotic woods like African Bubinga wood, certain types of Desert Iron wood or something with a wild grain pattern. But overall I gave up on wood handles years ago.

Most definitely the Dodo model I feel would not be a candidate for a wood handle. G-10 and Carbon Fiber are both perfect for that model. I've thought about the possibility of a Titanium handle for the Dodo but I would have to see a prototype and check it out before I would even give that a green light. The Dodo is another model that Spyderco got right the first time. Now I do like the Ceramic Ball Bearing Lock but I could be content with the solid stainless BBL.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Time for me to shill for these two styles again :D

I'll buy any new version of the Dodo. I think the design and implementation are one of the most daring and unique we've ever seen in the modern era of folding knives.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It is a 'near' perfect design, a design ahead of its time at that. It really deserves some CQI. And for goodness sake keep the production in Golden.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

spoonrobot wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 am

I'll buy any new version of the Dodo. I think the design and implementation are one of the most daring and unique we've ever seen in the modern era of folding knives.

The top one in Blue might get me to change my tune, but it'd have to be CBBL.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:59 pm
spoonrobot wrote:

Sadly I've never had the privilege of trying the Dodo yet so I don't know what "magic" that handle may possess that other designs don't. Just looking at that top pic strongly suggests the Q-ball to me which is a great design and has a "better" blade to handle ratio IMHO.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:25 pm
JRinFL wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:

Sadly I've never had the privilege of trying the Dodo yet so I don't know what "magic" that handle may possess that other designs don't. Just looking at that top pic strongly suggests the Q-ball to me which is a great design and has a "better" blade to handle ratio IMHO.
It's a pretty wild design and I felt the same way. I 3d printed a full scale model of the Dodo but with a longer blade. The handle shape just feels right in my hand. Like it's been said it was definitely a design ahead of its time. I hope it gets produced again so I can actually try the real thing.
Attachments
dodo1.png
dd.png
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bemo wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:

Very true, I realized that after I posted and I already have a Q-Ball. Shame it was not a CBBL.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:35 pm

It's a pretty wild design and I felt the same way. I 3d printed a full scale model of the Dodo but with a longer blade. The handle shape just feels right in my hand. Like it's been said it was definitely a design ahead of its time. I hope it gets produced again so I can actually try the real thing.
I really like the larger blade. I’ve already commented my interest in one with room for more teeth, but I actually like it more than I had expected (I was close to drawing it out myself).

Whatever happens, I do hope we see either the Dodo design continued or at least its influence in the future.
Just have to find the right combination of things. The blade and handle style are too good to go extinct.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

spoonrobot wrote:

While those are good looking knives and I'm a huge wharncliffe fan, the reverse S blade shape is what I like most about the Dodo. Its like I have a bear claw when I'm slicing with it and it just feels like an extension of my hand.

-Turbo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spoonrobot wrote:

I wouldn't be at all against other variants of the Dodo model. But in this thread I'm mainly trying to focus on either a Sprint Run or for the original Dodo to return to the main line up for a year or so. The "Reverse S" design of the original Dodo model is what gives it the awesome versatility it has. This would give many newer Spyderco fans a chance at this great model.

Actually I've even gave thought to a Hawkbill type Dodo with a somewhat longer blade. But Eric Glesser's original design is the one I want to see return the most. Trying to find any Dodo on the secondary markets is nothing short of outrageous price gouging. So with the lofty popularity the Dodo model has attained it just makes sense to bring it back. There are also a lot of newer Spyderco fans that have never gotten the chance to try an original Dodo.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:35 pm
Bemo wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:
https://drandalls.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 819zl5.jpg
https://drandalls.files.wordpress.com/2 ... olixt8.jpg

That is very cool. I feel like the Dodo handle is as important as the blade so it would be interesting to see how a much longer blade changes the design.

I tried the Q-ball, and the Poliwog, and neither really captured the magic of the Dodo IMO. The opening, closing, feel in the hand and cutting ergonomics are just perfect for the blade length and style. It's similar to how the Lil' Temp 2 was somewhat polarizing but a really unique design, whereas the Lil' Temp 3 has much more mass appeal and is probably more comfortable for more different sizes of hands.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:00 pm
spoonrobot wrote:

I wouldn't be at all against other variants of the Dodo model. But in this thread I'm mainly trying to focus on either a Sprint Run or for the original Dodo to return to the main line up for a year or so. The "Reverse S" design of the original Dodo model is what gives it the awesome versatility it has. This would give many newer Spyderco fans a chance at this great model.

Actually I've even gave thought to a Hawkbill type Dodo with a somewhat longer blade. But Eric Glesser's original design is the one I want to see return the most. Trying to find any Dodo on the secondary markets is nothing short of outrageous price gouging. So with the lofty popularity the Dodo model has attained it just makes sense to bring it back. There are also a lot of newer Spyderco fans that have never gotten the chance to try an original Dodo.
I would love to see the Dodo return to the main line, even if it was just for a year. The most recent BHQ exclusive back in Dec '19 sold out so quickly it's obvious there's demand for new production that rivals what we see on the secondary market. The fact that the SE model has been MIA since the initial production models is really a travesty. The SE Dodo is something more people need to experience. SE Dodo in H1 or LC200N has been a dream concept of mine for a while.

We meed more Dodos!

The silhouette really shows it's an iconic design. Visually interesting, yet supremely functional.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Yeah, I really want one, but didn't pick up the Jade M4. I would like to see another model and hope a sprint or exclusive is on the way. Regular production would be absolutely amazing!
So it goes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:34 pm
Yeah, I really want one, but didn't pick up the Jade M4. I would like to see another model and hope a sprint or exclusive is on the way. Regular production would be absolutely amazing!
Well I'm hoping at some point that Spyderco takes a serious look at this thread. Because right now at this present time if a collector or an everyday user wants a Dodo model they almost have to spend what it would cost for 2 of the Military or Para2 models to get one. And that's just not right at all. The avid Spyderco fans deserve to have models available that the fans really want to be able to own>> without spending a couple of car payments to get one.

But at this time my biggest goal is to see a new Spyderedged Dodo return>> as well as more plain edged models. The Dodo is without a doubt Spyderco's best short bladed SE folder. It was my most regretful trade I made when I traded my last SE Dodo away. Because since then I haven't been able to get one even used for less than $200.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

As owner of one original run Dodo ... my thoughts:

- If you don't have one, you need one!

Of course the blade should be longer and full flat ground, the ball bearing lock is not the best lock to handle with wet fingers or nearly impossible with gloves ... but the design, oh man o man, the design is top notch!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Two hot items from the Blade Show floor

Wharncliffe Dodo Proto with ~2.5-2.75” blade same handle regular BBL no word if a production item or just a proto. Looks excellent open and closed, very awesome blade.

SE Dodo exclusive in the production queue
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

spoonrobot wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:58 am

Wharncliffe Dodo Proto with ~2.5-2.75” blade same handle regular BBL no word if a production item or just a proto. Looks excellent open and closed, very awesome blade.

Sweet! Thanks for the update!
-Turbo
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

spoonrobot wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:58 am

That's awesome so it's like a mashup of our renders.
Reject

Post by Reject »

An old photo.

How much can a Koala bear?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Great shot! :)
-Turbo