ZDP-189 outside of Japan.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wdr65

ZDP-189 outside of Japan.

Post by Wdr65 »

Could ZDP-189 be used for knives made in Golden? I searched and tried to dredge up an answer but couldn’t find a definitive. Something in the back of my mind says no from things I read on here years ago. I also understand that it may not be cost effective.

I realize that ZDP may be on its way out of use for Spyderco but I was hoping there might be a shot at getting a sprint run of the Manix LW in the steel. While K390 and Maxamet may outperform it the fact that it is somewhat stainless and takes a screaming, long lasting edge gives it a step up in my book.
kennethsime

Re: ZDP-189 outside of Japan.

Post by kennethsime »

Steel is very much an art in Japan, a part of their national identity. Japanese knife manufacturers take great pride and care in their work. I remember reading that Hitachi won't let certain steels, like H-1 and ZDP-189, be exported to foreign manufacturers for fear that they won't do them justice. If that's true, I don't think we'd see it in Golden models. Maybe someone more knowledgable can verify.

I think that ZDP-189 is an amazing steel, but it may actually be on the way out. People are going absolutely nutso over the K390 Seki models, and it makes me question whether or not there can be two high-end super steels in regular production in that factory. I hope so, of course, but I wonder.

One thing's for sure, I need to pickup a new Stretch and a new Dragonfly in ZDP.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I'd be down for a LW M2. I like ZDP-189 and still need to find a Stretch.

Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:35 pm
Steel is very much an art in Japan, a part of their national identity. Japanese knife manufacturers take great pride and care in their work. I remember reading that Hitachi won't let certain steels, like H-1 and ZDP-189, be exported to foreign manufacturers for fear that they won't do them justice. If that's true, I don't think we'd see it in Golden models. Maybe someone more knowledgable can verify.

I think that ZDP-189 is an amazing steel, but it may actually be on the way out. People are going absolutely nutso over the K390 Seki models, and it makes me question whether or not there can be two high-end super steels in regular production in that factory. I hope so, of course, but I wonder.

One thing's for sure, I need to pickup a new Stretch and a new Dragonfly in ZDP.

The first part of your post is what was in the back of my mind. I just couldn’t find a thread saying it for sure.

I hear you on the Stretch and Dragonfly. I have the Endura, Stretch 2 and Caly 3 in ZDP and have owned most of the rest. ZDP’s ability to slice dirty/gritty materials for long times is what draws me to it. Plus the fact it doesn’t rust in my pocket immediately after I get doused with the irrigation at work like my Rex45 and Super Blue models have.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

z1r wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:46 pm
I'd be down for a LW M2. I like ZDP-189 and still need to find a Stretch.

Man, what a collection!

When I first got into Spyderco, that was the dream right there: every model they offer in ZDP + British racing green!

I guess my horizons have expanded a bit, but I still love the looks of those knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Only the endura/stretch and caly 3.5 are left in zdp. Otherwise, one has to pay to rockstead and William Henry prices
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Other USA manufacturers have used it for limited runs, so it's certainly possible. (Though the first manufacturer coming to mind has a corporate connection in Japan, so maybe it's not as easy as it seems.)

There are enough interesting steels on either side of the ocean to produce more sprint runs than I can buy, so the current system works just fine for me.

Seki City makers have been working with Spyderco since the very beginning, and there's something special about that. I like the idea that my Seki knives are made by craftsmen with a singular national pride and unique materials. Producing ZDP sprints in Colorado would shake that up, though it wouldn't offend me or anything serious. (I'd love to see some Spyderco knives with Swedish steel made in Sweden, but it doesn't bother me that there aren't any.)
sal

Post by sal »

As mentioned, Hitachi wants ZDP heat treated only by Hitachi trained heat treating facilities, which are in Japan.

Also, it appears that Hitachi might stop making ZDP.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I guess my dreams of a ZDP-189 straight razor will never happen.
sal

Post by sal »

Not likely from us, but there might be some custom maker with material that could create one?

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

sal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:37 am
As mentioned, Hitachi wants ZDP heat treated only by Hitachi trained heat treating facilities, which are in Japan.

sal
I know steels come and go (see BG42), but this one would hurt
ZDP is a unique steel, and opened everyone's eyes to high edge retention steels, long before S90V,S110V,Maxamet became regularly available products we take for granted
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 am
Other USA manufacturers have used it for limited runs, so it's certainly possible. (Though the first manufacturer coming to mind has a corporate connection in Japan, so maybe it's not as easy as it seems.)

There are enough interesting steels on either side of the ocean to produce more sprint runs than I can buy, so the current system works just fine for me.

Seki City makers have been working with Spyderco since the very beginning, and there's something special about that. I like the idea that my Seki knives are made by craftsmen with a singular national pride and unique materials. Producing ZDP sprints in Colorado would shake that up, though it wouldn't offend me or anything serious. (I'd love to see some Spyderco knives with Swedish steel made in Sweden, but it doesn't bother me that there aren't any.)
Spyderco did offer Swedish steel, I have one in my pocket, it’s Swedish ore bought by Takefu
Then made with exacting standards in Japan ( but I guess not technically made in Sweden)
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:47 am
sal wrote:

sal
I know steels come and go (see BG42), but this one would hurt
ZDP is a unique steel, and opened everyone's eyes to high edge retention steels, long before S90V,S110V,Maxamet became regularly available products we take for granted
Will be a sad day if ZDP is no longer made. Holds a razor edge quite a while. One of my favorite steels in a small pocketknife that may be used to shave/trim on pretty much anything, including personal grooming if needed.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

sal wrote:

sal
Sal,
That’s what I thought you’d say on bringing it in. As for the stop in production that’s disappointing. I know it’s not magic or a perfect steel but it has a special ability to take an extremely sharp edge and keep it even when cutting fibrous material that’s dirty and gritty. The first knives I had it in were frustrating to sharpen but once I read your posts on reducing the pressure on the blade it became easy. I’m glad you included it in the lineup and am going to hope that it doesn’t go away completely.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Good to know that they may stop making ZDP. Makes my picking up another DF2 in ZDP feel more justified.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

DLT had the Stretch 2 in ZDP available a few days ago.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Discontinuing ZDP would be the end of an era, very sad. I might feel the need to get a pre-need replacement in ZDP before they’re gone.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Mistaken post
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bill,

Life's like that. We don't think of it that way, but if you take a step or two back and look at a bigger picture, you can see that much is like that. Era after Era and in the end it's all lost in time and history. We have but a small time to experience and appreciate.

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I hope we get another cool Japanese steel in the Seki line. Life moves on, but heritage and history is is important. Maybe some more sg2? Maybe some hap72?