I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year

Post by yablanowitz »

Naperville wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 pm
Just a suggestion for carry, feel free to ignore. I have most of my fixed blades set up for small of the back horizontal carry. I wear a heavy gun belt, and when I clip a Spyderco G-clip on that sucker it doesn't move. Put the clip just left of the center belt loop on my cargo pants, handle pointing to the right and blade edge up. Handier and more comfortable than it probably sounds and will conceal under an untucked shirt tail.
I've never tried that mounting position. I've heard good and bad things about it.

Is it comfortable or possible to drive a car with bucket seats?

Thanks!
I drive a 2008 Toyota Yaris (bucket seats) and I don't even notice a Mule, Serrata or Aqua Salt carried that way. I should warn you that I carried a Glock 20 in a Shadow Concealment holster small of the back everyday for about 10 years, so it may just be that I got used to it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Following with interest!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am interested in what you find out. I tend to agree with you about the handle. It is too cramped for large hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool thread! Following
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:02 am
I am interested in what you find out. I tend to agree with you about the handle. It is too cramped for large hands.

It's not bad in a saber grip. My pinky tends to move around to the back side of the rear guard and it sort of makes more room that way.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:18 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 pm
Just a suggestion for carry, feel free to ignore. I have most of my fixed blades set up for small of the back horizontal carry. I wear a heavy gun belt, and when I clip a Spyderco G-clip on that sucker it doesn't move. Put the clip just left of the center belt loop on my cargo pants, handle pointing to the right and blade edge up. Handier and more comfortable than it probably sounds and will conceal under an untucked shirt tail.
I've never tried that mounting position. I've heard good and bad things about it.

Is it comfortable or possible to drive a car with bucket seats?

Thanks!
I drive a 2008 Toyota Yaris (bucket seats) and I don't even notice a Mule, Serrata or Aqua Salt carried that way. I should warn you that I carried a Glock 20 in a Shadow Concealment holster small of the back everyday for about 10 years, so it may just be that I got used to it.

I've carried a Glock 19 there but length wise I think this knife will stock out more unless I try to do some kind of canted in waste band set-up. If I carry it in front it seems like I have a bit more of a flat spot at my appendix that it sits more flush into. The butt of the handle sticks out a bit and then at the other end the tip of the sheath sticks up a little over my belt. I also wear 1/4 inch thick leather gun belts, but they must be a bit thinner than yours because my G Clips will still slide around a little bit.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:07 pm
dude, that's ambitious. i'm looking forward to seeing how this goes, although i already have some guesses. i was considering doing something similar with the enuff, but i need to step up my posting game. haha

It's likely a bit too ambitious. I chose this knife mainly because I wanted to see how the edge retention was and because it's just overall a great design for SE, and because I don't own a single SE fixed blade (well besides my ARK) So it checks off a lot of boxes. Choosing to commit to carrying a knife this size also puts me in a difficult situation but I figure if I can sort this out then I'll have no problem with an Enuff or anything smaller than a JM2.
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks for sharing, D.
I would probably never consider EDCing a knife of this size, but I still find it interesting, and think your observations could be anecdotally relatable to solving carry challenges in my more specialized use.

Then there’s the knife itself. I also don’t yet own a serrated fixed blade, so getting some insight in how they perform in comparison to folders is very interesting. And as it relates to this specific model, it’s one I looked at from time to time, but I always moved on. Now having a chance to see some real life feedback from a competent user could be exactly what I need to finally make a decision with regards to this knife. And even serrated fixed blades in general.
Just the initial observation of the narrow handle is in fact a very interesting point I was unaware of, and contrary to some bear paws around here, I count it as a big pro :)

My knife acquisition list for 2021 was very short and specific. Significantly shorter than my sell list. I fear the goalpost is about to move. Again.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Good luck with you challenge! I did this one month at a time with multiple knives, though only one was a fixed blade and it was PE. Never had any problems, but I always used folders in the warmer months and did the fixed (Bark River Mini Tundra) in the winter, when it is more likely that I wear belts and coats with more, bigger pockets. The JM is an inch longer than the Mini Tundra, but it should be still fine.
Subbed.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Interested to hear your thoughts. A unique model for sure.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I inner waist band carry either a Fusion or a Doc Pinkerton wharnie when I'm on Self Defense carry. The Fusion came cord wrapped and the cord irritates my skin. I wonder if you'll end up smoothing out some of the handle.

I thought H1 toughness was supposed to be off the charts. It could be compression versus chipping.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Fixed blade everyday?

🤨

Good luck, hard pass for me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So far today just trimmed some brush. This is one of the more common uses I have for a knife at work. Like all my other SE it sailed right through these small branches. I probably cut 10 or so like this.

~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

What a cool experiment, thanks for sharing your updates!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm always impressed when anybody that has a nice collection of knives, can devote themselves to one particular knife for any extended period of time. I'm good for a week, then I feel like I'm neglecting the others haha. Looking forward to all your photos and detailed findings ahead.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That's crazy! (but just the way we like it)

Carrying a blade that size daily is well outside my comfort zone, even Moran is too much for me daily. I'm very interested to see how this turns out and how H1 compares to your extensive use of LC200N.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Nate

Post by Nate »

I got to handle this knife yesterday and was really impressed by how comfy/ergonomic the grip was. Good width. My hand size is pretty average, large glove. Not XL like D’s, so they grip didn’t feel cramped at all to me. Would like to get my hands on an Aqua Salt to see which I prefer.

What stood out most though was the contouring of the frn. I have heard the old frn D’Allara was like this but never handled one. Man, what a difference. I would gladly accept a slight bump in overall scale thickness for the increase in handle comfort on a hypothetical future frn folder. ;)
:spyder:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Memories of this knife are the comfortable grip and that for a bigger knife, it actually felt manageable. As I said earlier, I'm still kicking myself for moving it on. I'm loving this thread!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The weirdest part of all this is, about five times today I've had a panic attack after feeling my pocket and not feeling a knife clipped in it.

The flip side of that is, reaching for a fixed blade is already becoming second nature, at least when clipped at my appendix. I got a good bit of practice in that from my ARK so the motions aren't totally foreign to me but the size difference is significant.
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Not completely off topic, but was the Jumpmaster discontinued? If stated earlier, please bear with me as I'm dealing with a post hip replacement spouse...
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032