What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Police 4
16%
Military
26%
Native Chief
14%
Manix 2 XL
4%
Shaman
11%
Caribbean
7%
Endura
10%
Pacific Salt 2
4%
Other
9%

Total votes: 135

vivi

Re: What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Post by vivi »

I exclusively carry larger designs. It's tough for me to pick a favorite. I've gone back and forth between the Police, Military and Manix XL for years, and recently added the Chief to the mix.

Here's some comparison photos and what I feel are the pros and cons of each design:

Native Chief

+ Excellent blade geometry, best out of all the mentioned knives
+ Better edge to handle ratio than most large Spydercos
+ Excellent ergonomics
+ Lack of thumb ramp makes using the index choil more comfortable for me
+ Very nice lockback action
+ Carries very well for the size, less bulky in the pocket than the others
+ Multiple sprints
+ Four way clip

- The partially obscured hole makes this the most difficult knife to open on the list, especially with gloves. Still easy to open, but I've had my thumb slip off the hole maybe 1/100 times I use it, while its 0 with the other knives mentioned.

Manix XL

+ Incredibly secure grip
+ Minimal thumb ramp makes using the index choil very comfortable
+ Lock is much smoother feeling than a lockback and easier to unlock, while still providing a self close
+ 3mm thick full flat ground blade with a tall profile provides an excellent balance of strength and cutting ability. I'd rank geometry third, behind Police and Chief.

- Second heaviest knife in the list
- Tip up only
- Not as much cutting edge as the others
- Wide in the pocket
- Excessive handle jimping. I've ground it off other XL's in my collection.
- Very rare to get sprints of this model. Two new steels per decade is the current rate.

Police 4

+ Very slim, it carries smaller than you'd expect
+ Narrow 3mm blade with full flat grind and full distal taper give it excellent cutting geometry. Second best geometry on the list, behind Chief.
+ 4 way clip
+ Some very interesting steel options (K390, K390 SE, HAP40, and of course VG10)
+ Three factory scales options (G10 [discontinued],FRN, Pakkawood)
+ One of the smoothest lockbacks, easiest to operate one handed out of all of mine
+ Very nice neutral handle shape. Doesn't provide the raw grip security of the Manix XL, but its more versatile in a variety of grips

- Being the second longest on the list some may find it too long for front pocket carry and might have to resort to a cargo pocket or IWB for comfortable carry
- The liners in my G10/K390 run seemed more prone to corrosion than the blade. No experience with the factory run of FRN/K390 P4's so I can't comment on their corrosion resistance.

Military (My current EDC & favorite)

+ Thicker handle than the Police and Chief while remaining lighter and thinner in the pocket than the Manix / Szabo make this a good balance between in hand comfort and carry comfort.
+ More negative angle than the others make this an aggressive cutting tool.
+ Neutral handle shape allows for a variety of comfortable grips while still giving a secure, locked in feeling utilizing the main grip positions.
+ The easiest knife to open and close on the list.
+ The clip positioning makes this knife carry quite well IWB or clipped to a side pocket like this.

- Only right hand tip down.
- The large cut-out to expose the hole and lock release slightly reduces overall ergonomics.
- Sprint drought as of late, but historically received many.
- Liner lock has no self close bias, which reduces the chance of the knife staying closed while clipped to a pocket or waist band. Mine has a good detent and has stayed shut flawlessy since I started carrying it though.

Szabo Folder

+ IMO one of the coolest looking knives Spyderco has made
+ Huge handle provides a ton of grip options.
+ The only compression lock knife to feature a self close, which works on the same level as a stout lockback. Never opening unintended.
+ Gorgeous CF scales regardless of which run you get
+ Really nice ergonomics
+ Fat, beefy handle will fill even the largest hands with room to spare.

- Discontinued, not the easiest model to find on the secondary market
- Complex internals mean multiple small parts, tougher to take down, requires more frequent oiling of the pivot in my experience
- Quite heavy, the heaviest on the list
- Poor blade geometry

Group photo:

:unicorn
Matus

Post by Matus »

Let me start with saying that the only one I have is the Native Chief. So let me put that one experience aside and only judge based on the design:

A) The coolest large Soyderco - Schempp Bowie. I can’t help myself, I love it. I am yet to get it, but most likely will.

B) The knife I would pick as a user - Caribbean with a leaf blade, possibly followed by the Shaman in Z-wear.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Tough call, I'm going with my favorite to cut with:

yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Barong's still my favorite, though there's a bunch of other great big knives. Probably the Native Chief from the ones explicitly listed in the poll.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think the P4 LW just edges it. Today, at least.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Other; I can't make up my mind at times ;)

JMM

Post by JMM »

G10 Police 4 / K390
olywa

Post by olywa »

Outstanding thread! I really appreciate the group shots being shared. I'm waiting with baited breath for the S35 Resilience LW but I really want to pick up a Native Chief when/if I see a sprint I can't resist. I usually opt for a fixed blade when contemplating anything more than a 3.5" blade, but there are some mighty attractive new larger Spydie folders that are going to end up in my knife roll in the coming months.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Police 4 for me, with the Native Chief in second place. If it's go big or go home, Police all the way. The Chief is nice and slim, and the grind on the blade is outstanding.

I do like the Millie but it doesn't carry as comfortably for me in pocket.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

It’s very seldom that I carry a knife with a blade longer than 3.75. For what it’s worth, the most carried Spydercos in that category are my Renegade (a nod to the Native Chief?), JD Smith and Large Lum Chinese.

For a slicer, the Large Lum is amazing! As for the other two … I like the aesthetic of the clip points.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for all of the replies so far, with a special shout-out to vivi for the details & comparison photos. All very helpful.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am (positively) surprised how well the Native Chief does... might increase the chances to someday see an FRN version! :)
(viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89313)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of those listed, and so far since I don't own a couple of them, I have to say the Caribbean. It packs the most edge into the smallest handle of any knife on that list and it has the best (or at least my most preferred) ergonomics along with it. I think if the Caribbean were expanded out beyond being a Salt model and was offered in more standard G10 scale designs and with all the popular steel options it would sell like crazy. I think a lot of people are put off by the scale colors and the idea that it's a "salt water knife" and they don't need a knife designed for that environment so it gets overlooked. I bet if you offered the Caribbean in Cruwear and micarta it would sell out in less than 5 minutes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

Depends, something like this:

1. Fluted Ti Millie
2. S90V Chief CF
3. S90V Millie
4. S110V Millie
5. SE Caribbean
6. Rex45 Chief

But I don't really use the Fluted Ti Millie.
And a SE K390 P4 would overtake at least the SE Caribbean.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:27 am
Of those listed, and so far since I don't own a couple of them, I have to say the Caribbean. It packs the most edge into the smallest handle of any knife on that list and it has the best (or at least my most preferred) ergonomics along with it. I think if the Caribbean were expanded out beyond being a Salt model and was offered in more standard G10 scale designs and with all the popular steel options it would sell like crazy. I think a lot of people are put off by the scale colors and the idea that it's a "salt water knife" and they don't need a knife designed for that environment so it gets overlooked. I bet if you offered the Caribbean in Cruwear and micarta it would sell out in less than 5 minutes.
I think this would be true as well. A BHQ version in M4 would certainly make me happy.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

elena86 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:12 pm
The mighty Millie for me but the Caribbean is second close.
Same here, Love them both. But, the Military stole my heart years ago. First Spydie that got me seriously hooked!
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

SO torn between the Military and the Police. I like the blade shape and geometry of each, but there's something about the way the Millie blade tapers so acutely toward that sharp tip that I just love. On the other hand, the Police melts in to my hand like they were designed for each other. I have to give a slight edge to the Police for the tip-up carry option and just how slim it feels in pocket. Lock type is a wash, cutting performance is a wash.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Military and Native Chief. Native Chief may pass the Military as the Native Chief carries so well.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

tough choice between the P4, milli and manix 2 XL

I voted manix 2 xl only because it needs more love in the poll :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

My perfect knife was the Millie for years. After coming back to collecting knives after a break I found that the Shaman has easily bypassed the Millie as my perfect knife. The girth, ergos, blade profile, jimpping and lock are my cup of tea. It’s like it was made with my hand as the mold.

I hear they are coming out with an FRN version...I just truly hope that the G10 ones are always around.