Spyder Classics: The C-17 Catcherman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-17 Catcherman

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first got into Spyderco and the first time I seen a CATCHERMAN in one of their catalogs I was a bit skeptical that a folding fillet knife would stand up to the punishment I've given some of my fixed blade fillet knives over the years. But when I got my very first one at a local Gun Show I was immediately sold on how nice they are. Because the CATCHERMAN was not the first folding fillet knife I had ever tried. An old fishing buddy of mine showed me a BUCK folding fillet knife in the mid 90s>> But it couldn't hold a candle to the Spyderco CATCHERMAN model.

I've been lucky enough to still have a fully serrated version that was made during the time the Catcherman was made with AUS-8 steel. I also have 2 of the H-1 Sprint Run models and a couple of the MBS-26 models in CE. The CATCHERMAN is one model I believe should return to the main line up IMO. It is also a splendid blade for kitchen uses as well as several outdoor uses. Yes indeed the CATCHERMAN is a classic model. And for all you newcomers if you get one on the secondary market you won't be disappointed.
steelcity16

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-17 Catcherman

Post by steelcity16 »

Great post JD! The Catcherman is on my short list of models I would like to see return in an updated format. Updated handle and updated LC200N steel with PE, SE, and CE variations. I think a Sprint in this format would do well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Modern clip, FFG LC200N or hollow ground H1SE - I'll buy a handful
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hey JD buddy, nice post! I always enjoy and appreciate your posts about Spydie history for us young 'uns (lol). I must admit the USN Catcherman is one heck of a beautiful knife and it was one of the few models that caught my eye when I saw it a while back when I first started seriously collecting Spydercos. That green and black combo is awesome.

If there' s one thing I'd like to change is to make the clip removable and have a left-carry option.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would absolutely have to get a screw mount clip, so it would require a pretty major investment for new molds. If they're going to go in that deep it may as well be a Catcherman 2 and give it any other modern updates it could get.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I love that!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:05 pm
Modern clip, FFG LC200N or hollow ground H1SE - I'll buy a handful
Vivi you certainly have "mind reading" abilities :D an LC200N Catcherman has been in my top 5 of desired Sprint Runs for quite a while now. I've been just a bit disappointed with both my H-1 Catcherman models because let's face it the H-1 blade steel is just not all that great in PE. I'm even considering having Wiley Knives do serrations on one of my H-1, Nuclear Green Catcherman models.

I would love to see an LC200N Catcherman available in PE, CE and mostly in full Spyderedge. I believe all 3 edge types in this classic in LC200N would be a home run for the Great Spyder Factory :cool: Darn it Vivi!!! :D I wish I could read minds like you can :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:43 pm
It would absolutely have to get a screw mount clip, so it would require a pretty major investment for new molds. I'd they're going to go in that deep it may as well be a Catcherman 2 and give it any other modern updates it could get.
Oh absolutely a more advanced pocket clip on a LC200N full SE Catcherman model would be a major step in the right direction. And they could call it the Catcherman 2 if that would do well for the "Marketing Department".

Now I've never had one of the original molded pocket clips ever break on me but I do agree a more sturdy pocket clip would be a step in the right direction.

I'm not going to let this one die either. Because with a new C-60 on it's way I think now would be a great time to make an appeal for more units out of the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS to be candidates for a Sprint Run :cool: If they would do this one right it could be a super selling blade that they could probably add to the Salt Series.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:01 pm
Hey JD buddy, nice post! I always enjoy and appreciate your posts about Spydie history for us young 'uns (lol). I must admit the USN Catcherman is one heck of a beautiful knife and it was one of the few models that caught my eye when I saw it a while back when I first started seriously collecting Spydercos. That green and black combo is awesome.

If there' s one thing I'd like to change is to make the clip removable and have a left-carry option.
Yeah I think you and Evil D both have the right idea. I'm willing to bet that a removable pocket clip would make a new Catcherman 2 model much more appealing than the original model.

They could even offer a sheath that would fit the Catcherman and I bet a lot of fly fishermen and most other fishermen take more notice of the model. Well guys any other ideas would be worth considering. But I do indeed like this idea of a better pocket clip. I'm also thinking that some type of angular notch in the handle would make a great line cutter that would come in handy.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Was a fully serrated H-1 Catcherman ever produced, JD?

I'd love for the Catcherman to become a sprint, but methinks it would require some time to retool the handles to make it more ambidextrous...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

We had an old Catcherman in the filet knife case when I worked at a knife shop in college. I always tried to push it on people, but I just convince anyone to pickup a filet knife which was two-three times more expensive than any of our fixed-blade filets.

Man, what a knife though - that blade is wicked.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Retooling the handle might be pretty expensive. If that's the case, then an altogether new design might be the way to go. How about a Paul Alexander designed handle with a Phil Wilson designed blade shape. Action to be determined by whichever combines the two elements the best. Not trying to be a party poop, but something to think about.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 am
Well "Reject" Ol' Buddy I've come to the conclusion that you just like to torment me with so much envy :D No matter which older model I choose to talk about you always seem to have something to taunt me with :D With all the great GOLDEN ERA models you have I'm beginning to believe that you must have found a "Platinum Mine" somewhere down under in your home country :D

Every time I see your splendid collection it just makes me green with envy. I think I'm going to pick you to do that sequel of the "Spyderco Story" book that Palladin Press did a few years back. You've sure got the collection to do it with :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:46 pm
Retooling the handle might be pretty expensive. If that's the case, then an altogether new design might be the way to go. How about a Paul Alexander designed handle with a Phil Wilson designed blade shape. Action to be determined by whichever combines the two elements the best. Not trying to be a party poop, but something to think about.
And that alone could make the case to just go ahead and do a "Catcherman 2" model. It's probably about time for a newer/better version anyway. It's certainly one model that deserves an updated edition.

You have certainly given us something to think about. But I still think it could be a great piece to add to the Salt Series.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:10 pm

I'd love for the Catcherman to become a sprint, but methinks it would require some time to retool the handles to make it more ambidextrous...
Not to my knowledge>> I think the only edge type they did that H-1 "Nuclear Green" handled version in was the traditional combo edge which is what most of the Catcherman models have been offered in. Actually the older AUS-8 Catcherman is the only variant I'm aware of that they made it in full Spyderedge. And those are getting really tough to find. The Catcherman in full SE is one of my top 5 favorite full SE Spyders ever made.

I am truly tempted to send at least one of my Nuclear Green H-1 Catcherman models to Wiley Knives to have it made in full SE. I've not yet ever used them to convert a blade into full SE but I've had a few people tell me that they do a great job. As good as H-1 is in full SE it just baffles me as to why Spyderco didn't do at least half of that run in full SE. But on the same note they never did any in MBS-26 in full SE either. And I just don't get it :confused:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am
nerdlock wrote:

Not to my knowledge>> I think the only edge type they did that H-1 "Nuclear Green" handled version in was the traditional combo edge which is what most of the Catcherman models have been offered in. Actually the older AUS-8 Catcherman is the only variant I'm aware of that they made it in full Spyderedge. And those are getting really tough to find. The Catcherman in full SE is one of my top 5 favorite full SE Spyders ever made.

I am truly tempted to send at least one of my Nuclear Green H-1 Catcherman models to Wiley Knives to have it made in full SE. I've not yet ever used them to convert a blade into full SE but I've had a few people tell me that they do a great job. As good as H-1 is in full SE it just baffles me as to why Spyderco didn't do at least half of that run in full SE. But on the same note they never did any in MBS-26 in full SE either. And I just don't get it :confused:

That's what I was thinking too...H1 has been proven to be several times better in SE...it would be a great match for the blade profile of the Catcherman! It's a good idea for a sprint run :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

That's what I was thinking too...H1 has been proven to be several times better in SE...it would be a great match for the blade profile of the Catcherman! It's a good idea for a sprint run :D
Oh we most definitely need more Sprint Runs in full Spyderedge. And with this upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run that is going to be available in SE & PE both I'm hoping that if it goes over well ( Which I'm 99% convinced it will) then I am hoping that it will open a floodgate for at least 8 to 10 Spyderco models I could think of that would do really well in a full SE Sprint Run.

A few years back when I was really low on funds I sold a NIB, collector's numbered, Yellow handled, full SE Catcherman for $200 and it just showed me that there are a few of us who do like these hard use type models in full SE. Because the Catcherman is for sure what I call a "Hard Use" model. There aren't many of those Catcherman models that are going to end up being "Safe Queens">> no most of them are going to be used and used hard too.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 am
nerdlock wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

Oh we most definitely need more Sprint Runs in full Spyderedge. And with this upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run that is going to be available in SE & PE both I'm hoping that if it goes over well ( Which I'm 99% convinced it will) then I am hoping that it will open a floodgate for at least 8 to 10 Spyderco models I could think of that would do really well in a full SE Sprint Run.

A few years back when I was really low on funds I sold a NIB, collector's numbered, Yellow handled, full SE Catcherman for $200 and it just showed me that there are a few of us who do like these hard use type models in full SE. Because the Catcherman is for sure what I call a "Hard Use" model. There aren't many of those Catcherman models that are going to end up being "Safe Queens">> no most of them are going to be used and used hard too.

JD, that's an insane amount of money for AUS-8 steel! :eek: :eek: :eek:
kells45

Post by kells45 »

The local shop that sells spyderco has had the USN version with black blade and the green handle for years now. Every time I go there I struggle not to buy it. I don’t have a use for it but it looks like it would be a slicer for sure.