Looking for a second Spyderco for EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hovannes

Re: Looking for a second Spyderco for EDC

Post by Hovannes »

Whew!
I've got a lot of Spyderco homework to do.
Thanks for all the ideas :D
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I agree that you need to buy 2 new knives. For the longer blade I would recommend a Police, or Endura, or even a Stretch. For the shorter one it is hard to beat a Delica, but you might consider a Native.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I just received my Native Chief in S90V and I really like it. It is a 4 inch blade, and there are a few in stock at the following two locations. S90V is one of the very best steels available globally.

NOTE! It is a Sprint Run, so once they are gone, they are gone for good! I'd like a 2nd one but I have other obligations at the moment.

https://www.stnicksknives.com/products/ ... 72f7&_ss=r

https://newgraham.com/Spyderco-C244CF90 ... C244CF90V/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

If you want to impress chicks, go Jumpaster 1
Jablang

Post by Jablang »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:26 pm
As far as I know there is no length restriction on folding knives as long as they are concealed. I typically carry my PM2 which has a blade over 3 inches.
Los Angeles has stricter laws about carrying than California itself.
Section 1. Section 55.10 is added to the Los Angeles Municipal Code to read:
S E C . 5 5 . 1 0 . CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED:
(a) As used in this Section, the term "knife" or "dagger" shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.
(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.
(c) The prohibitions of this Section shall
not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation,
for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hovannes,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your service.

sal
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Jablang wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:25 pm
Henry_P wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:26 pm
As far as I know there is no length restriction on folding knives as long as they are concealed. I typically carry my PM2 which has a blade over 3 inches.
Los Angeles has stricter laws about carrying than California itself.
Section 1. Section 55.10 is added to the Los Angeles Municipal Code to read:
S E C . 5 5 . 1 0 . CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED:
(a) As used in this Section, the term "knife" or "dagger" shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.
(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.
(c) The prohibitions of this Section shall
not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation,
for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.
According to my understanding this only applies to knives that are not concealed. But I’m not a lawyer.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
GentlemanEdc

Post by GentlemanEdc »

There are way too many Spyderco knives that fit in that category. Price range helps narrow it down, but since the knives last forever, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I presume you don't want to turn into someone like the knife geeks on this forum that have way too many knives.

You mentioned backlocks, but I would also consider compression lock knives.

In the under 3" category, I would recommend one of the
For a thin knife that is super sharp and just drops into the pocket, Chaparral Lightweight. I carry one of these every day. I removed the wire pocket clip and I carry it like a traditional pocket knife. However, it's not the most rugged knife.

For a rugged knife in this category, I would probably go with a Native 5 or a Para 3. (and go with the non lightweight version).

For the larger knife, Paramilitary or Paramilitary2. Decide on the knife steel and the blade (serrated or not) and just buy it and move on.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

GentlemanEdc wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 am
I presume you don't want to turn into someone like the knife geeks on this forum that have way too many knives.

I don’t see how this is relevant to this topic.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GentlemanEdc wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 am
There are way too many Spyderco knives that fit in that category. Price range helps narrow it down, but since the knives last forever, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I presume you don't want to turn into someone like the knife geeks on this forum that have way too many knives.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Just out of interest, no offense meant: What do you mean by "too many knives"?!

- More than one absolutely needs (that would be everything over one or two knives)?
- More than one normally really uses (hard to estimate, but that would be something like more than twenty (??) )
- More than one enjoys owning? (I think THIS is what counts, regardless if as safe queens or beaters! :) And THAT number is totally personal and can vary from one to thousand plus.... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My choices (which I have made) would be: 1] Endura. This is easier to carry than the P4 but still has plenty of blade. You can get a wharncliffe in full serrated Spyderedge, too. 2] Either the Delica or the Chaparral. The Chaparral is good because it is very small closed, but open is has a good sized blade. It is very thin and flat. The Delica is pretty trim and it comes in either plain or serrated edge, and there is a wide variety of steels, handle materials, and edge choices. Overall, I lean towards the hand filling Delica.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:28 am
My choices (which I have made) would be: 1] Endura. This is easier to carry than the P4 but still has plenty of blade. You can get a wharncliffe in full serrated Spyderedge, too. 2] Either the Delica or the Chaparral. The Chaparral is good because it is very small closed, but open is has a good sized blade. It is very thin and flat. The Delica is pretty trim and it comes in either plain or serrated edge, and there is a wide variety of steels, handle materials, and edge choices. Overall, I lean towards the hand filling Delica.

Delica and then Endura were my very first Spydies, and if I could only have these two again, all my EDC needs would still be perfectly covered.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am pretty much 'stuck' (in a good way) with the Native and the Chaparral. I have a few Natives and I like them all, be it G-10, Ti or FRN.

OTOH, I would suggest to pick a Chaparral with a thicker handle though - at least for me - the FRN is not hand filling enough.

In larger sizes I have many I like (see my signatre), but recently I have been enjoying the Bradley folder (GB2), the PM2, and the Military the most as work EDCs.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:29 pm
Years ago I was a deputy on a mounted SAR unit and was intrigued by the Spyderco Rescue. ...

... I don't trust liner locks. I like the lock back on my Rescue.
So the solution is obvious---buy another Spyderco with the lock back! I'm considering several models, the Police seems attractive, but recently there's been another hitch in my plans. My daughter moved to Los Angeles for Graduate School and when I go to visit her, any pocket knife over 3" is illegal to carry, so maybe I need two new Spydercos---one for Los Angeles and another for the rest of the world. A Delica 4 seems like it would handle Los Angeles,but I wanted to ask the experts here for advice before committing.
Are there any other Spydercos I should consider?
First, you should check to see if you're eligible for Spyderco's OpFocus professional discount program at https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/.

Now, onto knife opinions. I have a love hate relationship with Spyderco's standard Japanese made back locks like the Delica. They're great knives, other than the fact that the clips are mounted with screws that thread into the steel liners that are nested in the plastic handles. I'm part of a minority here that always gets pocket clip wobble on these knives. It drives me nuts. The basically rust proof Salt series versions of the knives delete the metal liners for corrosion resistance, and use ever so slightly thicker plastic handles for stability. Spyderco puts corrosion resistant metal thread inserts into the Salts, and those thread inserts are longer than the deleted liners are thick. This allows me to tighten down the clips and eliminate wobble. Despite that complaint, I still bought a friend a limited run pink / purple Zome handle Delica when they were available a while back. She doesn't care about the clip wobble, but she likes the pretty colors on it - https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... und--76575.

So, alternatives. First, the Native 5. That's a USA made back lock that's a little thicker than the Delica, both in handle and blade stock, but otherwise pretty close in all other dimensions. They make a Native 5 Salt if the corrosion resistance thing interests you (I love mine for the low maintenance, easy sharpening, and bright yellow handle). The nice thing about the Native 5 line is that all of them - plastic handle, G10 handle, carbon fiber handle - are liner-less and use the metal thread inserts to hold the clip screws. So, no pocket clip wobble regardless of which flavor you choose. Sal has also said that the Native 5 has such tight tolerances in some areas that the Golden, CO plant is the only place in the world they can make it. If you want to experience the ultimate back lock, get a Native 5. I have three of them, and I'll be buying more this year as Spyderco makes more runs of variants I want. The longer Native Chief shares all those characteristics, just with fewer variants since it's a newer model. A Native 5 and a Native Chief would give you two blade lengths of the same knife.

Second alternative, Sage 5 lightweight. It's a compression lock folder with a blade that's right at 3 inches. It uses Spyderco's wire clip. The wire clip flexes, but that's the nature of using thin wire. At least the screw that holds the clip in threads into a barrel spacer, so I have no trouble keeping the mount point snug. The little bit of springy wire flex doesn't bother me the way a sheet metal clip sliding side to side does. My clip weirdness aside, the Sage 5 LW is a great knife. The FRN texture is less aggressive than that of the LW Natives, but it offers more grip than G10. It's just right. The comp lock is something you need to try if you want to experience liner-lock like opening smoothness in a very strong lock. The handle is a bit longer than a Native 5, and combined with the finger choil it offers a bit more overall grip length than the Native or the Delica. With a blade that's 3mm thick, it's a bit thinner than a Native 5, and a bit thicker than a Delica. Again, a Goldilocks zone for many. I actually find the Sage series to fit my hand just a bit better than the Native 5, too. If you don't care about the availability of a Salt variant, and lots of other handle color and blade steel combinations, the Sage 5 LW is one of the best 3" blade EDC pocket knives that any brand makes.

Third alternative, Chaparral FRN. The Sage 5 LW borrowed the just right FRN grip texture from the FRN Chap. It's a back lock that's made by Spyderco's excellent Taichung, Taiwan plant. At minimum advertised retail price, it's $11 more than the Delica. For that extra bit of cash, you get an a US made powder metallurgy blade steel. These little guys have thinner blade stock than the Delica, so they're super slicey. The CTS-XHP steel is still tough enough for it to take medium duty use, so you don't have to completely baby it. You can also get the Chap with fancier handle materials if you want to go for more of the classy gentleman's folder look on the smaller knife. The ergos and size are 7/8 scale Sage. The Chaps also use the wire clip, and it's really at home on this slightly smaller knife. I find it more comfortable than a Delica, and I think it's a better value for the slight price increase.

Sorry for the text wall, and I hope this helps.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you already have a Plain Edged blade that you like for your primary EDC folder then I would also recommend that you get a companion folder to go with it. My first choice would be one of the serrated Hawkbill models like the HARPY model or maybe a TASMAN.

I find that having one full PE and one full SE makes for a great overall set up. Right at this time I'm carrying an older plain edged, C-60 Ayoob model along with a Stainless Handled RESCUE model from the ATS-55 era in full SE. There just isn't hardly anything I can't handle with that duo.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:43 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:28 am

Delica and then Endura ... if I could only have these two again, all my EDC needs would still be perfectly covered.
I think exactly the same way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hovannes

Post by Hovannes »

Well, I just ordered a Delica. At least I'll be good to go in Los Angeles the next time I visit my daughter