Li'l Native Slip joint: Perfect pocket knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Li'l Native Slip joint: Perfect pocket knife?

Post by Wartstein »

gdwtvb wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:21 am
I'm excited about it! I am hoping that the little native becomes the base model of a Spyderco custom shop. With three choices of locks, (none, lockback, and Compression lock.) then offer three or four steels for each, some handle options and then Spyderco will have a custom option that would be legal almost anywhere in the world. Can't wait to get mine. My primary knife is a Chap, it will be nice to have something similarly sized but with a more robust build and blade.

Grizz

With all due respect and no offense meant, but "with more robust build than a chap"?!
The Lil Native sure is really robust (especially the backlock version with its steel backspacer), but the Chap is a real tank: Steel liners, steel backspacer, steel lockbar, internal stop pin. I think the linerless G10 of the Lil Native can´t be any stronger.

Totally theoretical dicussion of course, because both (and most Spydercos anyway) are more than strong enough.
But still: One thing one has certainly not be worried about with the Chap is "robust build" imho...

/ I totally grant you your "custom shop Lil Natives" :), but in my opinion this would perhaps not be the best choice for the general market. I´d guess the Lil Native is a bit too "special" and not a "common ground knfie": Has a lot of fans on the one hand, but on the other hand a lot of people want a more functional cutting blade and/or more cutting edge and less bulk in the pocket...?! (Could be wrong of course)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rab

Post by Rab »

I'm looking forward to it.
I alternate between a UKPK for daily carry and an Urban for around the house. The lil Native will hopefully be a handy little robust option for outdoorsy or work type stuff.
Be nice as option to have regardless.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I wish I could swap out my Rex45 Lil' Native blade, that would make it perfect for me... I bought the Rex45 Lil' Native having never owned/handled a compression lock Lil' Native before and man I never thought I could dislike the compression lock but for me I just do not care for it in a knife this small... sadly though I'm guessing said blade swap would have 0% chance of working. :confused:
sonbear

Post by sonbear »

Really looking forward to this one too. Bit more stout than my SpyDK but still UK friendly.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 am
gdwtvb wrote:
I'm excited about it! I am hoping that the little native becomes the base model of a Spyderco custom shop. With three choices of locks, (none, lockback, and Compression lock.) then offer three or four steels for each, some handle options and then Spyderco will have a custom option that would be legal almost anywhere in the world. Can't wait to get mine. My primary knife is a Chap, it will be nice to have something similarly sized but with a more robust build and blade.

Grizz

With all due respect and no offense meant, but "with more robust build than a chap"?!
The Lil Native sure is really robust (especially the backlock version with its steel backspacer), but the Chap is a real tank: Steel liners, steel backspacer, steel lockbar, internal stop pin. I think the linerless G10 of the Lil Native can´t be any stronger.

I carry the Ti stealth chap. Thin and light. Simple matter, due to the thinness of the handle, it just isn't a great go to blade for spending an hour whittling on the porch, whereas the beefier lil' native is. The chap will do it without complaint, but your hand would much prefer the lil Native. Different knives different uses.

Grizz
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:10 am
The Lil Native is already the perfect pocket knife for me! :D

I'll definitely be trying out one of the slipit models as well though.
Yep - I ordered one from DVOR (all black compression lock) that won't be shipping until next month.

GO BUCS!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gdwtvb wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
gdwtvb wrote:
I carry the Ti stealth chap. Thin and light. Simple matter, due to the thinness of the handle, it just isn't a great go to blade for spending an hour whittling on the porch, whereas the beefier lil' native is. The chap will do it without complaint, but your hand would much prefer the lil Native. Different knives different uses.
Thanks for your reply!
I misunderstood at first, my bad! I thought by "robust build" you were talking about structural strength / integrity, and that is where the Chap actually really shines. My FRN Chap, though being so thin, is one of the most "un-flimsy" folders I´ve ever held. Rock solid, and all steel beneath the FRN.

But of course you´re right: The Lil Native will be more handfilling (and also very solid) and by that more comfortable in prolongued use!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
I think the linerless G10 of the Lil Native can´t be any stronger.
Is it linerless?
I only have the comp lock lil’native, which obviously have liners, so I was just drawing the conclusion this would apply for the lock back and slipit as well. Very nice if it doesn’t. I prefer linerless if I can have it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Is it linerless?
I only have the comp lock lil’native, which obviously have liners, so I was just drawing the conclusion this would apply for the lock back and slipit as well. Very nice if it doesn’t. I prefer linerless if I can have it.

I was actually talking about the backlock Lil Native which is linerless indeed... don't know about the slipit, it is a tad (3 grams) heavier than the backlock. Don't know if that is a hint that has liners, but could be...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:46 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Is it linerless?

I was actually talking about the backlock Lil Native which is linerless indeed... don't know about the slipit, it is a tad (3 grams) heavier than the backlock. Don't know if that is a hint that has liners, but could be...
Thanks, I figured it had to be the backlock you were referring to, since no one really knows much about the slipit yet. Now knowing that the backlock is linerless it will be interesting to see how they solved the slipit.
It also makes me a little surprised we haven’t seen the backlock lil’native salt yet. If already linerless and the blades already exist, there isn’t a whole lot missing to complete the puzzle
Nate

Post by Nate »

Held off on the back lock Lil Native hoping for a slippie, but I’m still not sure how much pocket time it would get vs. other models like the Urban and Chaparral (or even my lw Natives).

Has the Lil Native (lock type aside) become anyone’s preferred small folder over other stalwarts in the lineup? What sets it apart? Incidentally, I’ve tried the Dragonfly a couple of times and the grip just hasn’t worked for me, I much prefer the Urban (and never experienced any overly stiff action with them).
:spyder:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Nate wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:07 am
Held off on the back lock Lil Native hoping for a slippie, but I’m still not sure how much pocket time it would get vs. other models like the Urban and Chaparral (or even my lw Natives).

Has the Lil Native (lock type aside) become anyone’s preferred small folder over other stalwarts in the lineup? What sets it apart? Incidentally, I’ve tried the Dragonfly a couple of times and the grip just hasn’t worked for me, I much prefer the Urban (and never experienced any overly stiff action with them).
To be honest, I haven’t given it a fair chance.
I was pretty excited to get one, as I felt the P3 was an inefficient carry because of the large grip area relative to cutting edge. I don’t need a lot of edge for everyday tasks, so I just wanted an efficient comp lock.
And it is, in a way. I have a perfect four finger grip when using the forward choil and while short, the cutting edge is sufficient. Mostly.

It just doesn’t click with me. It’s awkward to handle with the short grip and comp lock. And while comp locks was my first love with spyderco, I’ve since discovered the beauty of mid backlocks, and it’s really hard to put the lil’native in pocket when I have backlocks that handles so naturally and securely, even at comparable size.
And regarding pockets, it’s weird in pocket. Short and thick, and somehow the clip doesn’t slide very easily over the fabric of my pocket. Could be the combination of G10 and wire clip, it’s my only knife with that combo.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Urban is the perfect pocket knife for me second close being the Chap.Compared to the Lil’Native it has just enough longer blade and cutting edge, thinner blade stock and way thinner behind the edge. In fact my beloved K390 Urban is thinner behind the edge than any other spydie I own and I own quite a few. I have to disagree with Doc about the Urban being too stiff to open/close. It’s perfect as it is. It just inspire confidence.The action on the UKPK is softer than it needs to be. Whenever I cut cardboard with my UKPK the blade has the tendency to close and I allways feel that I need to be extra cautious.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:32 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:10 am
The Lil Native is already the perfect pocket knife for me! :D

I'll definitely be trying out one of the slipit models as well though.
Yep - I ordered one from DVOR (all black compression lock) that won't be shipping until next month.

GO BUCS!
I think you will really enjoy it! It's such a great little knife.

(P.s LFG!!! GO BUCS! I'm ready for TB12 to do what he does best! ;))
- Nick :bug-red