Swayback CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GH9000

Swayback CQI

Post by GH9000 »

Just wondering if there are any plans for a Swayback CQI. I still love the knife the way it is. It was the model I wanted most and waited for all of 2019 from Spyderco. I love the contoured handles. I also love the hollow grind on the blade and the swedge. It really is a beautifully made knife. And Im not sure how well it’s selling or how popular it actually is cause I don’t know how many Spyderco is selling. I just don’t see people talking about it that much. I feel like it has a few things that are stopping people from appreciating though. I have a few ideas for it.

Add some chamfering near the spydie hole for a little easier access for opening the blade. And, If possible, make the spydie hole a tad bigger.

Move the lanyard hole to the middle and add back the wire clip to that part of the handle so the it won’t fall into the cut out for the lock bar or put the cut out on the inside of the handle and add it there. Or keep the spoon clip and add it to the inside anyways to fit aftermarket clips better.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
kobold

Re: Swayback CQI

Post by kobold »

I think the problem with the hole is not its size, but that it is walled in by the scales.

As for the clip, the wire clip from the Manix 2 LT is the perfect fit.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

kobold wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm
I think the problem with the hole is not its size, but that it is walled in by the scales.

As for the clip, the wire clip from the Manix 2 LT is the perfect fit.
Yup, that’s why I asked for some chamfering.
Danke

Post by Danke »

And it should be a front flipper with a tool steel blade. Cruwear, M4, etc.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Danke wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Making it a front flipper would make the opening action easy, but, is there something wrong with XHP?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Danke

Post by Danke »

kobold wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:23 pm
Danke wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Making it a front flipper would make the opening action easy, but, is there something wrong with XHP?
I just like the more reactive steels.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

I’m sadly in a minority here with my ideas. Glad I enjoy the knife as is. Thank you everyone.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m not sure why you folks think that all these requests to make changes or updates to any of the Slysz models are going anywhere. The Swayback and the others are as faithful renditions of the custom Slysz versions that Spyderco could manage to produce at a balanced price point (keeping production costs as low as possible but execute as close of a copy as they can). Requests to move stuff around, add flippers, make this part bigger or smaller (or the whole knife even), all that is NOT going to happen. I doubt that Spyderco could even begin to tinker with the models without Marcin Slysz’s permission. If you want a variant, you have to wait for Slysz to make a custom version first and then Spyderco decides they want to run it, as was the case with the Technos. These threads are ubiquitous on this forum, and while I’m sure harmless to discuss what we’d “want” for updates to these great models, the chances of Spyderco acting to make such changes is zero.

(And yes, I’m aware the Chef was CQI’d, but updating the detent ball, moving the clip screw a tad, and the dark screws doesn’t change the model itself one bit. It’s an example of Spyderco fixing some problems users had reported and fixing them, trying to make a better execution of it overall. No major aspect of the design itself was changed...)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

Well that clears that up. Thanks radioactive spyder.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Not requests. Ideas. Suggestions. That is the raison d'etre of this forum, and all the other forums in existence - the exchange of ideas. We provide ideas and suggestions. Spyderco cherry picks what is feasible. No pressure or IDK what kind of big expectations. At least that is how I see it.