Steel that takes the keenest (sharpest) edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Steel that takes the keenest (sharpest) edge?

Post by JRinFL »

Sal built his whole career and life on upending the "traditional" knife world. I'm pretty sure he wants to keep pushing the boundaries into the future and not looking back. I doubt we would even see slip joints at all from Spyderco if certain regions did not require non-locking folders. Sure, Spyderco has released their versions of traditional designs, but it is easy to see they are thoroughly modern interpretations. Having said that, I was surprised to see them offer 52100 steel or any of the more traditional Japanese steels. So, I guess what I'm saying is that while Spyderco offering O1 steel is a very low chance, it is not zero.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

spyderco has used already used O1.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=609

I'd like to see them use it again, it has wonderful sharpening characteristics.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:43 am
Sal built his whole career and life on upending the "traditional" knife world. I'm pretty sure he wants to keep pushing the boundaries into the future and not looking back. I doubt we would even see slip joints at all from Spyderco if certain regions did not require non-locking folders. Sure, Spyderco has released their versions of traditional designs, but it is easy to see they are thoroughly modern interpretations. Having said that, I was surprised to see them offer 52100 steel or any of the more traditional Japanese steels. So, I guess what I'm saying is that while Spyderco offering O1 steel is a very low chance, it is not zero.
vivi wrote: spyderco has used already used O1.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=609

I'd like to see them use it again, it has wonderful sharpening characteristics.
@Vivi: Cool, did not know that! / And yes, as said I´d also like to see another O1 Spydie

@ JRinFL: I hear you, but would an O1 Spydie actually be a step back?! Honest questions, since my steel knowledge is rather basic.
Sure, O1 is a very "old" steel, but is there actually something newer that is a real, huge step forward, if one emphasizes extrem ease of sharpening to an extremly sharp and keen edge, but edge holding and corrosion resistance is not a concern at all?
I use the O1 Fixed blade Pancake gifted to me a lot, and actually often in the kitchen since it is such a great cutter.
The pretty frequent necessary touch ups don´t bother me with this knife, cause this is so quick and easy. And, honestly: It has actually no real rust, just a heavy Patina....

Now imagine some nice, more traditional looking linerlock thin bladed O1 Spydie-folder, perhaps with rough Micarta or some natural, brown/tan G10 scales...I´d get one, now that I´ve experienced O1 in that fixed blade! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hah, I did not know the Bushcrafter used O1. I guess I was (accidentally) right, the odds were low but not zero. :rolleyes:
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I still think AEB-L (and relatives Nitro-V & 14C28N) need to be explored more for those who want a tough steel that can get very sharp, but with improved corrosion resistance.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
johnson

Post by johnson »

My V-Toku2 Endura. For some reason I can get that edge insanely sharp.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 am
I still think AEB-L (and relatives Nitro-V & 14C28N) need to be explored more for those who want a tough steel that can get very sharp, but with improved corrosion resistance.

Agree, and I think it'll happen! AEB-L is a somewhat 'extreme' steel and Spyderco likes to explore the wild side. AEB-L in a fixed blade could be an excellent specialty knife, tough and keen as heck.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

I'm conservative when it come to getting the sharpest edge on my knives...
My sharpest edges I get on oldscool carbon steels....
My carbon Opinels win the ' scalpel award' in my humble collection.
And ofcoarce sharpening (stropping) skills come into play here (I sharpen freehand on water or diamond bench stones) also edge geometry, edge thickness etc to get the knife edge the 'sharpest' . But this is just my experience with my tools and skills.
So ad my vote to the O1 Bushcraft UK when it comes to Spyderco knives. :D