Darn it, Bloke was right about the Ladybug Hawkbill!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Darn it, Bloke was right about the Ladybug Hawkbill!

Post by ChrisinHove »

Inexplicably, I haven’t been out much over the holiday period, and my recently acquired LBHB has been finding it’s diminutive way into the pockets of whatever I’ve been slouching around in.

What a brilliant little knife! It’s barely noticeable in size and weight, but has proved itself time and time again. It has opened bags of kindling, clamshells, parcels, snipped butchers twine and ribbons, and has even been perfect at cutting open the cellophane on soft cheeses without messing up the contents.

The ability to precisely pull-cut away from your item is seriously useful.

I should pay more attention to good advice.
JD Spydo

Re: Darn it, Bloke was right about the Ladybug Hawkbill!

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not about to argue the fact that Spyderco's tiny knives are not quality pieces>> because they are most definitely high quality pieces. But for probably the vast majority of cutting jobs I'm faced with they just wouldn't do me any good. I have however been toying with the thought of getting either a LadyHawk or a Dragonhawk just to see if little Hawkbills might be helpful.

I haven't done that yet but I might just get a DragonHawk just to see first hand. But I doubt if it will totally take the place of a really good Harpy or Spyderhawk. With that said if they work for you guys that's great.

By the way??? Where is BLOKE??? Haven't seen him in a while.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The LBHB is perfectly capable of everyday cutting and is much stronger than you'd expect. If I didn't love my other Spydies so much, it could easily be my primary knife. Sometimes a small knife like this is the best option when you need precision, and hawkbills are awesome in any size :) .

I've been curious about Bloke's whereabouts, too.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It was Bloke who got me interested in the Ladybug hawkbill with his pics of his. It keeps popping into my head from time to time, but I haven’t yet ‘pulled the trigger’ and purchased one. It would make a great supplemental knife for ‘big knife’ cutting chores in places or situations where you don’t want to be obvious about using a knife. I’m also interested in how a tiny SE hawkbill is.

Jim
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I almost went for the LBHB... But stepped it up to a Dfly HB-- which is awesome and a good size for my hands. I would try the LB version too, but not compelled right now.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke convinced me to get one and now it is the knife I keep in my PJ's. It is so light you forget it is there, but it really does cut above is size.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i keep the lbhb salt in my pocket at work. they're incredibly handy, especially when a full size edc knife will make people look at you sideways. it's the nuprin knife... little. yellow. different.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had one for a while until a gal stole it off my backpack. I figured if she wanted it that bad she can have it. I wish they were ground a bit thinner, it wasn't a very good slicer. If a knife is going to be that small with a pivot that tiny, it really needs to slice effortlessly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:33 am
I'm not about to argue the fact that Spyderco's tiny knives are not quality pieces>> because they are most definitely high quality pieces. But for probably the vast majority of cutting jobs I'm faced with they just wouldn't do me any good. I have however been toying with the thought of getting either a LadyHawk or a Dragonhawk just to see if little Hawkbills might be helpful.

I haven't done that yet but I might just get a DragonHawk just to see first hand. But I doubt if it will totally take the place of a really good Harpy or Spyderhawk. With that said if they work for you guys that's great.

He was active today and his last post is just three days old... so nothing to worry I guess
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I keep my dfhb in my office at work and pull it out 1st ahead of my pm3. Its been used and abused more than any knife I have.

I may designate it back home if this Crossbill works out, its quite a bit heavier with the stainless handle.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This is interesting.
The manbug salt has been my main EDC since I got it. It’s just enough knife for urban/office use, the serrations work very well for my type of use, and the size as well as its toy like appearance is perfect for our unpredictable knife laws.

As late as today I was thinking about hawkbills or more precisely how small hawkbill might be a natural progression for my summer shorts carry.
So far I’ve been using a regular DF2 for that, and was planning on switching to my new DF2 Salt SE this summer, but I really appreciate how safely I can use a sheepsfoot, especially a serrated one, and would assume a hawkbill would be no less so.

This forum is really expanding my knife horizon. Before joining, both SE knives and hawkbills were beyond consideration.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I carry my dfhb on me every day on my dog walks, and on bike rides with my kids. The lbhb lives on my keys. They are incredibly useful - I'm definitely a SE hawkbill convert.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a LBHB on my keychain. It's my everywhere knife. I also have a LBHB I sometimes carry.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:33 am

He was active today and his last post is just three days old... so nothing to worry I guess
It's funny how we all begin to wonder when we don't see or hear much from a regular over the course of a few days around here! We're all so used to same core 50 or so people day in and day out. I suppose that's a good thing! Shows their appreciated :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Ive had a DFHB since they first came out, and have put it through the ringer. Its def one of my most used spydies in the collection, and if I need serrations its my go-to blade. Glad to hear so many others enjoy it too!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I surprised myself yesterday by ordering a SE Ladybug hawkbill salt. I wanted to get one at the current price (for such a small knife) before it goes up in 2021.

Jim
Danke

Post by Danke »

One of my most useful knives. It does lots of cutting because it's pretty well always with me.

James Y

Post by James Y »

Got my HB Ladybug Salt a couple days ago, and it’s a great knife. I haven’t carried a LB for many, many years; I carried a red original Ladybug, then a serrated sheepsfoot one, but IMO, the hawkbill really excels as a LB. Even for such a tiny knife, it’s fairly easy enough to operate one-handed, due to the blade shape when closed. My sample has excellent walk and talk/closed bias.

This will make a great down-in-pocket knife as a complementary carry to a normal-sized Spydie.

Jim