Your Spyderco Christmas Eve And Christmas Day EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tgmr05

Re: Your Spyderco Christmas Eve And Christmas Day EDC

Post by Tgmr05 »

Chaparral most of the day, probably tomorrow as well.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Native 5 on Christmas Eve and Spydiechef on Christmas Day.
Attachments
native 5 and spydiechef.jpg
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Should have enough to get by :p :p :p

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I had 4 knives I was rotating between for the last 4 days, I'd carry one for a few hours and switch it out. 4V Lil Native, M390 McNees Custom Microhawk, 3V Strider SNG, and 204P Microtech Exocet Bounty Hunter.

Now those other 3 knives are near and dear to me, and think they are worth every penny. At a 1/2 to 1/4 the cost of those other knives though, Spyderco not only holds its own performance wise, it remains the best knife for the money.

P.S. Sal I would love to see Spyderco do another collaboration with McNees. His Tracker-Jacker and Microhawk Models come to mind.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I carried my new (secret santa gift) Ikuchi this year! I am in love!!! :eek: :) This is the coolest knife I didn't know I needed! :cool: Slim, lightweight, clean lines, killer cool blade shape (that point! :eek:), neat roller flipper, and I love how the handle completely conceals the blade when closed. This one is going to see some serious pocket time!!! :D

I would really like to see a sprint run or exclusive of this model. K390 and Nishijin glass maybe? :D

IMG_6566.jpg
IMG_6567.jpg
IMG_6568.jpg
IMG_6598.jpg
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Ikuchi is an amazing knife (my knife of the year for 2019). Nishijin is far more slippery than CF/G10 laminate (which isn’t super grippy either), plus it’s used in Japan not Taichung. Pretty much zero chance of a Nishijin Ikuchi...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I carried my brand new FRN chaparral.

I am an unrepentant Dragonfly fan (I EDC one 98% of the time), and have been for the last 10 years.

My other Spyderco knives sit in the closet.

Every once in a while a get a wild hair and decide to pick up a new knife (that will inevitably end up back in the closet).

I’m not so sure that the chaparral will share the same fate. First - it’s a big knife - it’s the absolute top end of what I’d want to carry for EDC. Second, I don’t think this is a dragonfly competitor at all - I was initially drawn to the chaparral because of the name (given my line of work), size, and reviews suggesting it compared favorably to the DF2 in size. It doesn’t, it’s much closer to my Delica and much bigger in the hand. Luckily it fits in MOST of my pants 5th pockets (I won’t carry a knife if it isn’t a 5th pocket carry) so I decided to give it a shot.

The heft (compared to a DF2) gives it a real sense of quality. The lockup is THE MOST solid of any backlock I’ve ever handled, and oh boy does this thin blade slice.

I thought that comments about the stiff lock bar were ridiculous - until I got mine. Depending on the way I press down it’s either very easy and smooth or “please atlas give me strength.”

The CTS XHP remains out for review (no need to sharpen it yet) but if the S30V comparisons are close then I will be a much happier camper over the VG10 offering in my DF2. I am very happy to be able to carry a knife with US-based steel.

I’m happy - I took a chance and I found a big knife that I can (mostly) 5th pocket carry.

It won’t unseat my DF2 as my go-to EDC or my hiking/outdoors choice, but I can see myself carrying it regularly.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:11 pm

I am an unrepentant Dragonfly fan (I EDC one 98% of the time), and have been for the last 10 years.

Every once in a while a get a wild hair and decide to pick up a new knife (that will inevitably end up back in the closet).

I’m not so sure that the chaparral will share the same fate. First - it’s a big knife - it’s the absolute top end of what I’d want to carry for EDC. Second, I don’t think this is a dragonfly competitor at all - I was initially drawn to the chaparral because of the name (given my line of work), size, and reviews suggesting it compared favorably to the DF2 in size. It doesn’t, it’s much closer to my Delica and much bigger in the hand. Luckily it fits in MOST of my pants 5th pockets (I won’t carry a knife if it isn’t a 5th pocket carry) so I decided to give it a shot.

The heft (compared to a DF2) gives it a real sense of quality. The lockup is THE MOST solid of any backlock I’ve ever handled, and oh boy does this thin blade slice.

I thought that comments about the stiff lock bar were ridiculous - until I got mine. Depending on the way I press down it’s either very easy and smooth or “please atlas give me strength.”

The CTS XHP remains out for review (no need to sharpen it yet) but if the S30V comparisons are close then I will be a much happier camper over the VG10 offering in my DF2. I am very happy to be able to carry a knife with US-based steel.

I’m happy - I took a chance and I found a big knife that I can (mostly) 5th pocket carry.

It won’t unseat my DF2 as my go-to EDC or my hiking/outdoors choice, but I can see myself carrying it regularly.
)

Chaparral-fan here ;):

- You are aware of the easy mod that makes the lock less stiff? If not, see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309 - though it will break in anyway
- The Chap certainly is a bigger knife than the DFly, but imho it is still closer to the DFly than to the Delica? (Closed length Dfly: 3.313 " (84mm), Closed length Chap: 3.60" (91mm), Closed length Delica: 4.25" (108mm) and as far as I can recall the Chap is not really wider at the widest point than the DFly?) - where the Chap is really "big" compared to the DFly is in blade length (2.80" (71mm) vs 2.25 " (57mm)) - the difference in blade length is twice the difference in handle / closed length..

- Regardless, enjoy both knives!! :) The DFly is a very cool model either and unbeatably light!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:18 am
Blnd wrote:

)

Chaparral-fan here ;):

- You are aware of the easy mod that makes the lock less stiff? If not, see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309 - though it will break in anyway
- The Chap certainly is a bigger knife than the DFly, but imho it is still closer to the DFly than to the Delica? (Closed length Dfly: 3.313 " (84mm), Closed length Chap: 3.60" (91mm), Closed length Delica: 4.25" (108mm) and as far as I can recall the Chap is not really wider at the widest point than the DFly?) - where the Chap is really "big" compared to the DFly is in blade length (2.80" (71mm) vs 2.25 " (57mm)) - the difference in blade length is twice the difference in handle / closed length..

- Regardless, enjoy both knives!! :) The DFly is a very cool model either and unbeatably light!
I agree that closed-dimension wise the chaparral is closer to a DF2, but the feel in the hand is much closer to a delica. Same with pocket space for carry - the chaparral just carries a lot bigger than the DF2 (much closer to the delica in that regard. The clip spacing has a lot to do with it, but handle shape is the biggest contributor. That’s why I mention the feel in the hand (for me) is more delica than DF2.

I’ve seen the spring mod - not sure I want to go that route just yet.

In any case - the chaparral is the first new knife in a decade that I have decided to carry (other than my DF2 and Vic Cadet.
Last edited by Blnd on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:18 am
Blnd wrote:
)

Chaparral-fan here ;):

I agree that closed-dimension wise the chaparral is closer to a DF2, but the feel in the hand is much closer to a delica. Same with pocket space for carry - the chaparral just carries a lot bigger than the DF2 (much closer to the delica in that regard. The clip spacing has a lot to do with it, but handle shape is the biggest contributor. That’s why I mention the feel in the hand (for me) is more delica than DF2.

I’ve seen the spring mod - not sure I want to go that route just yet.
Thanks for the reply! I see what you mean, and can´t weigh in on how a DFly carries anyway - just handled, but never really carried that model. But it must be a dream to carry and totally disappear i the pocket! :)
That the Chap is so small but in hand feels more like the (bigger) Delica is something I like though.

Anyway, I am glad that now you have a "small-small" and a "large small" choice and obviously like both!! :)