Shaman: Primal instincts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Shaman: Primal instincts?

Post by Wartstein »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:09 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:05 pm
The lighter Shaman is not FRN.

sal
Eh well, even a lighter version in G10 will be welcome. But I’d love to see one in FRN someday :)

At least Sal once asked if there´d be "any interest in an FRN Shaman in K390": See here (at the end of the post):
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1406216
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shaman was a love at first use knife for me. Ive got an M4, S90v, and 4V Shaman, but I really love carrying the s30v version. Maybe because its replacable... I dont rightly know. But thats the one I reach for. She thicc in all the right places, thin in all the right places too :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:48 pm
Reminds me of my Manix Observations thread where I compared the CBBL XL to the lockback C95.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85577

A lot of people were confused why I, an edge junky, would be so excited about a 4mm thick blade stock folder.

The C95 and Shaman both have broad blades with full flat grinds...or close to it. They both come to a thin edge bevel. They both cut well for how beefy they are.

Like Albatross, while I like thin blades, a lot of the things I cut don't demand them. Opening mail and packages, cutting rope, making feather sticks, trimming threads, slicing pallet straps, slicing the plastic twist ties on kids toys....these are things that basically just require a sharp apex.

There's something to be said for the inertia of a heavier knife. While I don't EDC one anymore, I enjoyed this about the Buck 110. The weight of the knife lets it do most the work for you on many cutting tasks.

I love my sub 4oz lightweights, but sometimes a beefier knife is a better choice.
I don't remember reading that thread, but will be reading it now, thanks for the link.

Yes, I mostly prefer a thinner blade, more focused on cutting performance, but sometimes I enjoy carrying a heavier, more stout knife.

Now that I see the benefit of using the knife with more vigor, and it's response to that use, I'm less hesitant to daily carry a Shaman.

Still, my P4, PM2s, and Manix 2 will get more carry time overall. Though, if I had to have just one knife, the Shaman isn't a bad option at all. It might not be my first pick, but I wouldn't be disappointed one bit either.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:58 pm
Hi Julia,

Do you know how much thinner it is %?

I usually thin out most of my blades for personal use. We use good enough steels to handle it.

Just as a bit of a tease; I mentioned earlier that there are two more versions based on th Shaman pattern. One is thinner stock and a lighter handle and the other is a "sans finger choil".

sal
This is good news! A thinner Shaman has my interest for sure.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:22 am
sal wrote:
Hi Julia,

I usually thin out most of my blades for personal use. We use good enough steels to handle it.

Just as a bit of a tease; I mentioned earlier that there are two more versions based on th Shaman pattern. One is thinner stock and a lighter handle and the other is a "sans finger choil".

sal

Maybe of interest for you:

- (Quoting Sal:) I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. I'm thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight..." (https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... n#p1406714)

- And this thread I once started: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86264

EDIT: Man, I am silly... Sal actually replied to YOU anyway in the quote I posted ... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I feel the same way about the Shaman, and I’ve never had a problem cutting anything if you push hard enough :D. I welcome any variations on the Shaman platform; Lightweight, Sheepfoot, Worker Clip Point, and even a Fixed Blade would be awesome!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:06 am
Albatross wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:22 am
sal wrote:
Hi Julia,

sal

Maybe of interest for you:

- (Quoting Sal:) I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. I'm thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight..." (https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... n#p1406714)

- And this thread I once started: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86264

EDIT: Man, I am silly... Sal actually replied to YOU anyway in the quote I posted ... :o
That's okay, I appreciate the effort.

I was actually just thinking about the idea of a Shaman with a high hollow grind. That would be an amazing "upgrade", and would address a few complaints some people have with the current Shaman. Likewise, the choil-less version will have it's appeal for people who share your philosophy, in regards to maximum cutting edge.

Slightly off topic: a fixed blade Shaman would be amazing, especially if it was offered with a wood handle. Something stabilized, like Pakkawood, Rosewood, or? I'm not a fan of G10 scales on a fixed blade. Micarta would be another excellent option. Choil or no, it would be an absolutely perfect work knife, and I also think it would be amazing in a steel like Rex 45 (my Shaman might be influencing this option :D ), 52100, Cruwear, 4V, S90V, M4, or AEB-L.

Actually, the Shaman platform, in fixed blade form, would also make a great bushcraft knife, if given a Scandi grind, or maybe full convex?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

It's a great knife as is, but a Shaman with thinner stock would be awesome. I'd like to see a thin stock option on a lot of golden models.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:41 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:09 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:05 pm
The lighter Shaman is not FRN.

sal
Eh well, even a lighter version in G10 will be welcome. But I’d love to see one in FRN someday :)

At least Sal once asked if there´d be "any interest in an FRN Shaman in K390": See here (at the end of the post):
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1406216
Well that's good news :) at least they're considering an FRN version. I just really prefer the feel of FRN ( I know many people think it feels cheap and that I'm crazy). But I feel that a thinner stock FRN shaman would make a perfect EDC knife. Even if not currently in the works, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
sal

Post by sal »

As I understand it, Eric is planning an FRN model in addition to what I'm currently working on. the issue is capacity in Golden. So as models are put into queue, the time line increases.

al
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not a fixed blade guy, but appreciate that the Shaman feels like what a folding fixed would be in my eyes. It's the only model that I have that I haven't had a split second of wonder if a task would be better suited for a different knife. I'd throw it at just about anything.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like Shaman. I look forward to other models based on it.

For me the shaman is a work knife and its robust blade is excellent for that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It's my current favorite for sure :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 am
As I understand it, Eric is planning an FRN model in addition to what I'm currently working on. the issue is capacity in Golden. So as models are put into queue, the time line increases.

al
Thanks for that little bit of news. I know y’all have so much in the works but I’m glad to hear an FRN Shaman is at least in the works.