The heinous Canis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: The heinous Canis

Post by JuPaul »

I was trying to figure out exactly what other animal this knife reminds me of...got it. Not exactly beautiful, but definitely scrappy, cool, and intimidating.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I find myself debating this one hard
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:40 pm
I was trying to figure out exactly what other animal this knife reminds me of...got it. Not exactly beautiful, but definitely scrappy, cool, and intimidating.
yep. i've been thinking the same thing since i first saw it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
remnar

Post by remnar »

I like it! I think that I would like it a little more if the spine were brought down a little lower. Just a little... :)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i will preface this with i am sorry about my opinions and feelings. now that out of the way i feel that pocket knives and fixed blades are tools. and as tools are not weapons. can you use a tool as a weapon yes but i would not want a leatherman self defense tool. i feel knives should only be looked at as tools. if you want to defend yourself there are weapons that are not tools, mace, pepper spray, a gun, or spikes/ brass knucles. if we keep trying to make defensive weapons out of tools less people will believe or look at them as tools, only as weapons.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 am
i will preface this with i am sorry about my opinions and feelings. now that out of the way i feel that pocket knives and fixed blades are tools. and as tools are not weapons. can you use a tool as a weapon yes but i would not want a leatherman self defense tool. i feel knives should only be looked at as tools. if you want to defend yourself there are weapons that are not tools, mace, pepper spray, a gun, or spikes/ brass knucles. if we keep trying to make defensive weapons out of tools less people will believe or look at them as tools, only as weapons.
I agree, I feel the self defence aspect of knives taints their usefulness as tools.
/ David
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

When this reveal first came to light, the Canis was one of the blades I didn’t think too much about. Over time though, I realized it might be just what I’m looking for. A small, tough, hand-filling utility blade. Like a box cutter on steroids. It has definitely jumped to the top of my list!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

rangefinder wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:37 am

Incidentally, a production version of the Canis folder has had a long gestation. I found this on the "Kembativz Brand" (Kelly McCann's company) FB page:
Kembativz Brand
June 5, 2013

When BlackHawk made the original Crucible knife, Mike Janich was their Brand Manager and shepherded the process from beginning to end resulting in a really high quality serialized set of knives (folder, fix blade and trainer). Mike is a real professional and stayed on top of the prototyping process then followed through in production and the knife's ultimate release. It was a pleasure to work with him and BlackHawk and as a result (although the original serialized sets are no longer available) the Crucible II folder is still selling really well. Hopefully I'll have a similar experience with the Canis someday.

Memento Mori - Carpe Diem,
Kelly
That last paragraph might explain how the Canis finally made it into production at Spyderco. :)
Very observant, Rangefinder... and accurate. Kelly presented the Canis to me when I was still at BlackHawk. When BlackHawk institutionally withdrew its enthusiasm for knife production and eliminated my position, I suggested that Kelly look for another maker and pointed him toward Ernie. I was very disappointed when Ernie failed to make the Canis a reality. Out of loyalty to Kelly, whom I worked with from 1996-2004 at Paladin Press (I shot and edited his early instructional videos), I was determined to make the Canis a reality. I am very pleased and excited to see it come to fruition as a Spyderco product.

Stay safe,

Mike
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 am
Knives are tools, yes. But clearly they can also be weapons as can any tool or object. Not everyone lives in a country where it is legal to carry weapons such as firearms or pepper spray but they are allowed to carry knives as tools which just might come in handy in an emergency...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jacala

Post by jacala »

Does anybody know if BHQ have the Canis in stock ?
Reason I ask is that I had $5.00 deposit on one and now it looks like I've been charged the balance for the knife !!
No email of update/shipping notice from BHQ yet.
Thanks.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

jacala wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:47 am
Reason I ask is that I had $5.00 deposit on one and now it looks like I've been charged the balance for the knife !!
Thanks.
Lots of dealers got them this week, so if they don't have theirs yet, they will any day now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

jacala wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:47 am
Thanks.
Login to BHQ and check the status of your order in your account info.. I've noticed that the status will sometimes get updated there before you see any email. If your card has been charged for the balance it should be shipping out soon!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Murindo

Post by Murindo »

Kudos to Michael Janich for helping to make this happen. I've been hoping for a Canis since Kelly first envisioned it and was disappointed that Blackhawk backed off. Doubly disappointed when Ernie Emerson pitched EKI as the imminent manufacturer then dropped it with no explanation.
Now Spyderco is making it happen with better steel and lock than Ernie would have used and at a lower price point than the typical EKI folder.

My Canis is inbound! It will join my 4 Yojimbo's in wait for the Yojumbo. :)
jacala

Post by jacala »

Re my Canis at BHQ.
I have checked it out.
Has been charged and almost ready to ship.
Thanks Guys and Gals.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Update: shipped (FYI: for anybody who cares :-) )
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For thousands of years knives have lead a dual life of tool and weapon, but so have other tools. Many pole arms are based on agricultural tools, many Asian blade and impact weapons sprang from agricultural tools. The humble hammer is an oft used weapon. No amount of "positive thinking" is ever going to change this. Self defense is a basic human right and those that try to regulate that away are the problem, not the tool itself.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The vast majority of weapons in existence, started out life as a tool.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Decided to go for it. Was on the fence and decided the extra tip strength Was what I wanted over the standard yo2/Yojumbo. Can’t wait to try it
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Hmmmm... a hollow grind Wharncliffe, unique mid-blade swedge and reinforced point...
it touches all my erogenous zones.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've been wanting a choil-less knife for awhile now...also need a wharnie... Hmmm
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb