VToku2 Steel: How corrosion resistant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

VToku2 Steel: How corrosion resistant?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is this steel very corrosion resistant or not? And what would you think of the Stretch 2 that is laminated with it?
Enactive

Re: VToku2 Steel: How corrosion resistant?

Post by Enactive »

SEF, I just got mine, so no real experience yet. From the steel composition, it is not very different from 1095. It is laminated on the outsides with stainless. The carbon steel core is vulnerable at the cutting edge, on the spine and tang edge, and at the "Spydie" and pivot holes. I plan to let mine patina naturally, but i will not use it for wetter applications all that much since i've got two LC200n knives now (even though it was designed as a hunting knife).
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Not corrosion resistant at all. It's a fairly simple carbon steel, probably on par with 52100 regarding corrosion.

Remember when Daveho bought Bloke's V-TOKU 2 Stretch?

viewtopic.php?t=82848
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:27 pm
Not corrosion resistant at all. It's a fairly simple carbon steel, probably on par with 52100 regarding corrosion.

Remember when Daveho bought Bloke's V-TOKU 2 Stretch?

viewtopic.php?t=82848
Oh wow thank you for reminding me! Yes I do remember this post. Wow it rusts fast.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

This makes me wonder about the wisdom of using such steels in knives at all. I am sure for 99% of us a very safe, hassle free steel like N690 is more than enough, edge-wise.
I have a few fancy steel Spydercos - the Hap40 Meerkat, a Stretch in V-Toku, a Super Blue Calypso Jr. - all of which I bought not so much for the steel as for the one-off design/colour of the scales etc. Had these been available with stainless blades at the same time, I'd probably have gone for the stainless option (certainly, for the Calypso Jr, in which the whole blade is extremely finicky Super Blue, with no laminate.)
I like the whole patina thing but the idea that a kind of expensive knife might one day turn into a piece of rust is a bit alarming.