Space Corps knife??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rwponline

Re: Space Corps knife??

Post by rwponline »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 am
What chores and functions might this space knife have to perform?

sal

For an EVA knife you'd want something with a serrated edge to cut through the beta cloth used pretty much everywhere exposed to space (a fireproof glass fiber cloth that can resist the UV and atomic oxygen present at orbital altitudes).

A blunt tip for a rescue/survival tool, or a pointed tip if you expect to get into 'glove-to-glove' combat in space.

One thing few people think about is that the suits (including the gloves) are pressurized. This means that to close your hand in a pressurized space suit glove you are fighting pressure until you relax your hand (allowing the glove to resume it's molded shape). For this reason, most EVA tools have very large diameter handles with aggressive ribs that don't require the hand to close much for a secure grip.

Materials are interesting too. Lots of anodized aluminum (gold color anodize for man-rated structure, clear for equipment rated), some stainless (though it's bad thermally), and beryllium copper for working around pure oxygen or other flammable materials (non-sparking).

For Intravehicular Activity (IVA), pretty much any knife that would be useful on the ground would be good up there, but I'd want a brightly colored handle to spot the opened knife floating my way (because I got busy and forgot to close it)...

-rwponline
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:44 pm
Bloke you are always in outer space. hahahaha! :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:19 pm
Bloke you are always in outer space. hahahaha! :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:34 pm
Cutting up Martian sushi?

sal
I can't wait for the day when "USA, Earth" becomes "Insert colony here, Mars".
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

In the book "Ghost Fleet," Sir Richard Branson and a team of Blackwater mercs take over the Chinese Space station with Tazers and Trench Knives.

So for that reason, plus the need to have the knife remain secure in hand even with a pressurized space glove on, a Jumpmaster with a D-ring trench knife handle would likely be ideal.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am
...this might Sting a bit.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:10 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am
...this might Sting a bit.
https://youtu.be/6zXDo4dL7SU
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

emanuel wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:31 pm
Accutron wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:06 am

-No cobalt in the blade steel (cobalt captures neutrons, emits beta and gamma radiation and turns into nickel)
You are confusing Cobalt 59, the natural, by far the most abundant and only stable cobalt isotope, with Cobalt 60, a synthetic radioactive isotope that has the property you mentioned. The cobalt extracted from ore used in knives is safe to use in high radiation environments.

I would think (but could be entirely wrong about this) that a blunt wharncliffe/sheepsfoot syle blade alà Rescue etc would be beneficial so as to avoid any puncturing cuts if the knife got away from an astronaut or if it were used by a suited astronaut outside the vehicle.

Regarding the radiation hazard of cobalt use, I believe Accutron is correct; cobalt-59 (natural cobalt) does absorb neutrons (especially fission spectrum neutrons, those produced in reactors) to produce cobalt-60, a prolific gammma emitter. From what I gather, the typical energy spectra of neutrons in space ranges from about .04eV to 10MeV, and that upper limit is about the same for a neutron flux produced in a reactor. So tl;dr yes natural cobalt-59 may very well be hazardous in space.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding the cobalt: There is alot of cobalt in metal rich asteroids in space.

Regarding the knife: With practically unlimited ultra high vacuum enviroment being all of outer space practically, and multiple sources of cheap and huge concentrated energy streams and micro gravity and zero gravity, you can make a host of new materials that would make normal steel seem like nothing. But then, what is "normal" steel?

A knife made from silicon or sapphire that is treated to be elastic and fracture tough would be far better than any steel alloy based knife, and would be much stronger and harder and could be given any color you want.

I would go with a Spyderco Endura with Shatter Proof Sapphire Blade Saber Ground.

The knife used in the above posted picture by the Harkonnen man is made of plasteel.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:32 pm
Regarding the cobalt: There is alot of cobalt in metal rich asteroids in space.
Indeed there is. Unlike the Earth's crust, asteroids are enriched with Co-60, produced by continuous cosmic ray bombardment and solar radiation flux. When a space rock falls as a meteorite, Co-60 production ceases, at is no longer being exposed to significant amounts of cosmogenic radiation. Co-60 has a half-life of about 5.27 years, meaning that the majority of Co-60 found in a recently fallen meteorite was produced in the near past.

I'm not an astrophysicist or astrogeologist. My background is in electronics and engineering design. I don't know the isotope production rates involved, or how that translates to human tissue exposure. What I can say for sure is this: if you take a cobalt-containing knife on a spacewalk, the Co-59 in the blade will start turning into Co-60, and will later turn into stable Ni-60, altering the alloy composition. This cannot be of any benefit for either the astronaut or the knife.

Perhaps the quantities are too small over the life of the knife to be a serious concern. Still, when there are innumerable knife steels which contain only elements with a small neutron cross section, it seems like a reasonable precaution to avoid cobalt-containing steels.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I personally think serrated H1 is the most practical material for the blade. I think it should be assembled in Golden, and be similar to the US Army Soldier Knife made by Victorinox with an Awl, flathead and phillips screw drivers, and etc. The main blade only needs to be one hand opening. The lock needs some thought, though. It needs to be capable of being operated with a gloved hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

button lock?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps so, but with a very large button. A back lock with a large lock disengagement button would be good, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 am
I personally think serrated H1 is the most practical material for the blade. I think it should be assembled in Golden, and be similar to the US Army Soldier Knife made by Victorinox with an Awl, flathead and phillips screw drivers, and etc. The main blade only needs to be one hand opening. The lock needs some thought, though. It needs to be capable of being operated with a gloved hand.
You are a knife-design genius, Doc. I love this idea. Definitely H1. This would also satisfy the No-Cobalt rule as Accutron pointed out.

I guess N690Co Steel is out too because of the cobalt issue.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Here is my vote:

1) Some sort of good multi tool like the Leatherman Wave for onboard spacecraft without suits or gloves;

And 2) a fixed blade, H-1 SE knife like the Jumpmaster with a design optimized for use with awkward space gloves.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:28 pm

I would think (but could be entirely wrong about this) that a blunt wharncliffe/sheepsfoot syle blade alà Rescue etc would be beneficial so as to avoid any puncturing cuts if the knife got away from an astronaut or if it were used by a suited astronaut outside the vehicle.

Regarding the radiation hazard of cobalt use, I believe Accutron is correct; cobalt-59 (natural cobalt) does absorb neutrons (especially fission spectrum neutrons, those produced in reactors) to produce cobalt-60, a prolific gammma emitter. From what I gather, the typical energy spectra of neutrons in space ranges from about .04eV to 10MeV, and that upper limit is about the same for a neutron flux produced in a reactor. So tl;dr yes natural cobalt-59 may very well be hazardous in space.
Guys, there is no "cobalt issue". You need slow neutrons (0.025 eV moving at 2.5km/s) in order to get them reliably captured by Cobalt 59. There are scientific papers on this subject. That's why cobalt 60 is rated as a synthetic element that does not have a natural source. The circumstances when and where it's produced naturaly are infime, and most high energy neutron sources will only get their neutrons captured in very specific and incredibly rare circumstances.
I repeat, you will long be dead before your knife has even hundreds of cobalt 60 atoms in it. There are other worries in space than your knife transmuting lol

@accutron, there is no cobalt 60 in measurable amounts in any meteorite ever found or collected, I couldn't find any source of what you stated to be true.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:29 am
@accutron, there is no cobalt 60 in measurable amounts in any meteorite ever found or collected, I couldn't find any source of what you stated to be true.
You must not have looked very hard.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19860022897

It's the third link down on Google when searching for "cobalt 60 meteorite" (no quotes). There are literally dozens of papers discussing cosmogenic Co-60 in meteorites.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:02 am
emanuel wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:29 am
You must not have looked very hard.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19860022897

It's the third link down on Google when searching for "cobalt 60 meteorite" (no quotes). There are literally dozens of papers discussing cosmogenic Co-60 in meteorites.
You are misinformed on this subject. The article you shared just proves my point... Even their high dpm/kgm values are LOWER than Earth background radiation.

Ok, let me explain again. Yes, no cobalt in actual measurable/impactful amounts. The article you linked says that the production of cobalt 60 is under 1 atom a minute for every GRAM of cobalt 59 in a meteorite, and slightly higher in specific types and densities.

On a macro scale, even if we maximize that production to the higher end of the autor's approximation, that's still insignificant and marginally higher than the rate you have in cobalt rich steel alloy here down on Earth. To put into perspective, you would need cubic KILOMETERS of space cobalt that reached a stable production / disintegration ratio, to make a cobalt 60 sewing needle.... Molar calculus, you can check yourself. I'll end this conversation here lol, most people don't probably care about this. Back to knives we go!
Last edited by emanuel on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

There is a joke to be had about "Tang" in here but for the life of me I can't find it..:)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049