Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KingRat
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby KingRat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm kinda hoping it still has a backlock, and either Native 5 lines or is like the prototype, however I would not throw away a larger Shaman.

User avatar
5-by-5
Member
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:12 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby 5-by-5 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:43 am

I'm very happy to see the hint of a Native Chief. I was disappointed that the Shaman had a compression lock. Although I have new interest that it's a front flipper.

Sal mentioned that the Stop Lock was replacing the Powerlock. Maybe the hush hush is because the Chief is the first model with the Stop Lock. That would be great!

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby DougC-3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:50 pm

sal wrote:The Native "Chief" has been on hold for some 15 - 20 years. I imagine we can get it to queue if there is demand. I'll watch the thread.

The Shaman is designed to be 3.5" blade length which is legal in more places that the Chief's 4.0" blade. Eric also has a smaller Native in-the-works.

sal
I'd certainly like to buy one, especially if it has a 3D handle like the Shaman.
5-by-5 wrote:I'm very happy to see the hint of a Native Chief. I was disappointed that the Shaman had a compression lock. Although I have new interest that it's a front flipper.

Sal mentioned that the Stop Lock was replacing the Powerlock. Maybe the hush hush is because the Chief is the first model with the Stop Lock. That would be great!
Sal mentioned in the Shaman thread that it's not actually a flipper.
:spyder: :cool:

User avatar
UK KEN
Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Leeds. West Yorkshire

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby UK KEN » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:29 pm

I have been waiting many years for a Chief.......I would certainly have one, or two. :) I would like to see a 4 inch, back lock, 3D scales (any material) thank you. :D

User avatar
Wanimator
Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby Wanimator » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm

The stop lock proto was featured on a Paul Alexander design if I remember correctly.

KingRat
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby KingRat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 am

I'm still hoping we see the Chief soon, even though there are a lot of Native's (Native 5, Shaman, Lil' Natives) on the market now.

Four inch blade, with a Golden back lock, would be awesome.

I keep looking for it when the catalog and supplement come out, as well as the Amsterdam meet pics. One day.

argyle1812
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby argyle1812 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Large backlock folder in something other than black is always a win in my book.

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 3008
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby MichaelScott » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 pm

I have to say I have no interest in a large folder. These days I think fixed for larger knives.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby wrdwrght » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Bump, owing to news from Blade Show 2018 (thanks, Sumdumguy).

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7980
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby SpyderNut » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Had a chance to hold the Chief today. Very nice design. Longer and more slender than the Native. Think of an elongated Native. I like it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby attila » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 pm

So it's like a Native 5 stretched to the size of a Military? I really like that mental image!
Own: Delica, yOld S30V Native, pointy Breeden Rescue, Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakka Delica, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakka DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pac Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, ZDP Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, SG Delica, BL Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix,Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix, Native 5, Native LW, 204p Para 3, S45VN PM2, S90V Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP Cruwear Manix

Waiting for: SPY27, K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22194
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby Evil D » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 am

How does it compare to the Shaman? I would love a Shaman with another half inch or so of cutting edge.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
WireEdge Roger
Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby WireEdge Roger » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:41 am

I’m really hoping for this to be in FRN, but I doubt it.

levs18
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby levs18 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:15 am

WireEdge Roger wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:41 am
I’m really hoping for this to be in FRN, but I doubt it.
Also hoping it’s FRN!

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby wrdwrght » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am

I think hopes for FRN will be dashed.

If I have understood Sal correctly, molds cost a ton and Spyderco won't invest in them until a model's popularity has been established.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22194
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby Evil D » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:11 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am
I think hopes for FRN will be dashed.

If I have understood Sal correctly, molds cost a ton and Spyderco won't invest in them until a model's popularity has been established.

That must happen faster than we know or there's more to it than simply sales. How long was the Native 5 out before it got a FRN version? Could just be the Native was a safer bet compared to an entirely new model.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9918
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:24 am

If this is basically a 4" Shaman I am all over it!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby wrdwrght » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:31 am

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:11 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am
I think hopes for FRN will be dashed.

If I have understood Sal correctly, molds cost a ton and Spyderco won't invest in them until a model's popularity has been established.

That must happen faster than we know or there's more to it than simply sales. How long was the Native 5 out before it got a FRN version? Could just be the Native was a safer bet compared to an entirely new model.
Not long, to be sure, but the Native5 did ride in on the popularity of four other iterations, no?

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 5015
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:36 am

Pics?
I ❤ The POLICE :spyder:

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22194
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Postby Evil D » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:38 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:31 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:11 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am
I think hopes for FRN will be dashed.

If I have understood Sal correctly, molds cost a ton and Spyderco won't invest in them until a model's popularity has been established.

That must happen faster than we know or there's more to it than simply sales. How long was the Native 5 out before it got a FRN version? Could just be the Native was a safer bet compared to an entirely new model.
Not long, to be sure, but the Native5 did ride in on the popularity of four other iterations, no?


Yeah that's what I mean, it kinda had a head start compared to models like this that are totally new. It makes me want to know the sales numbers behind others like the Manix 2 back lock and Shaman, maybe they have FRN in their future.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gdwtvb, Google [Bot], Joshcrutchley1, The Deacon and 80 guests