Knife sharpening service north Texas.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lancerpt

Knife sharpening service north Texas.

Post by Lancerpt »

Hey guys. I’m looking for a good sharpening service in the McKinney Tx area. I’d be willing to go outside the area a good bit for good work. There is a place in Plano but they are cheap, which concerns me. Want to find a place they takes time and doesn’t solely use power equipment. I’ll be buying a hard to sharpen super steel and I don’t have any equipment to do it myself. Thanks!
Johnnie1801

Re: Knife sharpening service north Texas.

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If you're buying a Spyderco knife then you can send it in for sharpening, I think they charge $5. Otherwise you might be best off looking over at bladeforums for someone who can do it.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't know of any sharpening services in the area but maybe I can help out some. I'll send you PM later this evening.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

First suggestion is buy a Sharpmaker and learn. Second suggestion would be if you don't care to learn send it back to Spyderco. I'd be really cautious about trusting any "sharpening service" with my knives, I've seen too many that were mangled on grinders and belt sanders.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Lancerpt wrote:Hey guys. I’m looking for a good sharpening service in the McKinney Tx area. I’d be willing to go outside the area a good bit for good work. There is a place in Plano but they are cheap, which concerns me. Want to find a place they takes time and doesn’t solely use power equipment. I’ll be buying a hard to sharpen super steel and I don’t have any equipment to do it myself. Thanks!
There are a lot of custom knifemakers in Texas, maybe you could find one of them to do sharpening for you.

Do not under any circumstances take any knife to a commercial sharpening service. Maybe there is one somewhere in the world that is good, but 99% of them will ruin a good knife. If you are on BF, there are some service providers there that can do a good job for you.

You can buy a sharpmaker and diamond stones and sharpen anything that Spyderco makes including all of the super steels. I use diamond stones and have no problem sharpening S110V and M4.