Hawkbill Blades: Small vs Bigger? general uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Re: Hawkbill Blades: Small vs Bigger? general uses?

Post by Strider »

I have the dragonhawk and have really been enjoying it just for small every day tasks thus far. I recently got my first manbug which makes me want to try the ladyhawk and see if I can get away with similar cutting power but in a even smaller package.
Will likely try the spyderhawk too. Thing looks beastly.
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friend,
Evil D wrote:Or is it that these particular models are purposely thinner?
They are indeed - they're designed to be wicked slashers, which is facilitated by a thinner blade. I have owned Civis and Matriarchs both, and they excel at that task. :D

-----------
Hannibal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:By user safe I meant less likely to break. Kinda sucks, I bet they'd be pretty useful EDC knives if they we're a little beefier. Makes me wonder what the issue really is since the hawkbill blades I've used were not too thin, what is it about a reverse S that makes them more fragile? Or is it that these particular models are purposely thinner?
I think they were made purposely thin with a self defense focus in mind. I've advocated for a Civilian with a beefier tip for EDC use in a few threads. And perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think a stronger tip would detract from self defense applications either.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friend,
Evil D wrote:Or is it that these particular models are purposely thinner?
They are indeed - they're designed to be wicked slashers, which is facilitated by a thinner blade. I have owned Civis and Matriarchs both, and they excel at that task. :D
I don't know about you Doctor Lecter and I don't recall ever asking you this before>> but personally I've always had an affinity for the "Matriarch" model which I find to fit my hand much better than I do with the Civilian which I do also like by the way but the Matriarch seems to fit me like a glove. It's my conjecture that if you're going to use a knife for self defense I would think that comfort and confidence are probably two of the most important factors in what a guy would want in a "self defense blade" ;)

Also Doctor Lecter while we're on this most interesting of subjects I've wondered why on GOD's blue planet why they don't make any Karambit blades with a Spyderedge >> or any other serration for that matter? Because personally I think "ALL Hawkbills" really do extremely well with TEETH :cool:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:[quote="Hannibal Lecter
Also Doctor Lecter while we're on this most interesting of subjects I've wondered why on GOD's blue planet why they don't make any Karambit blades with a Spyderedge >> or any other serration for that matter? Because personally I think "ALL Hawkbills" really do extremely well with TEETH :cool:
Spyderco ought to make the first high quality CE (partially serrated) blade to put its performance to the test.
Who knows if we're passing on something really good because no one dared to give it a chance with proper engineering and materials?

something like this but the Spydie way :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:[quote="Hannibal Lecter
Spyderco ought to make the first high quality CE (partially serrated) blade to put its performance to the test.
Who knows if we're passing on something really good because no one dared to give it a chance with proper engineering and materials?

something like this but the Spydie way :spyder:
That's a real eye opener PEACENT!! Because to let it be known I've kind of admired the blades made by "STEEL WILL" for some time now. And if this doesn't get the attention of the hierarchy of the Great Spyder Factory to take their Hawkbill line up more seriously then I don't know what will :confused: .

And for some of those top caliber knife companies to come out with super high quality Hawkbills no less you just absolutely have to conclude that they got the inspiration from many of Spyderco's great Hawkbills that have been around for quite some time.

When companies like Cold Steel, Steel Will and Microtech ( as well as others) are starting to take Hawkbill blades much more seriously then you just have to also conclude that there is a viable growing market for Hawkbill blades. And Spyderco could and should be first in line to fill that void.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have also been following Steel Will real close,
mainly because of their designs and use of AUS8, which I grew fond of thanks to m old Cold Steels for a budget but decent affordable steel

their Cutjack and Modus folders have had great success and very good reviews all over the place and their fixed blade knives are well built and reasonably priced, they are serious competence to CRKT and other older companies in that field

their Hawkbill (called Censor :cool: ) raised my eyebrows as it features most of the things we've been wanting to experiment with in a Spydie fixed hawk - mainly FRN, Combo edge, about 4 inch blade, and good steel in both PE and SE - :rolleyes:
I have been very pleased with AUS8 in serrations (again from Cold Steel :D ) and this one looks like an oddity, an AUS8 fixed blade with teeth. I can see it working very well.

this company is growing very big very fast :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:I have also been following Steel Will real close,
mainly because of their designs and use of AUS8, which I grew fond of thanks to m old Cold Steels for a budget but decent affordable steel

their Cutjack and Modus folders have had great success and very good reviews all over the place and their fixed blade knives are well built and reasonably priced, they are serious competence to CRKT and other older companies in that field

their Hawkbill (called Censor :cool: ) raised my eyebrows as it features most of the things we've been wanting to experiment with in a Spydie fixed hawk - mainly FRN, Combo edge, about 4 inch blade, and good steel in both PE and SE - :rolleyes:
I have been very pleased with AUS8 in serrations (again from Cold Steel :D ) and this one looks like an oddity, an AUS8 fixed blade with teeth. I can see it working very well.
Hey I've gone on record several times saying that AUS-8 has been one of my favorite blade steels for Spyderedges ( and other serration patterns too). And AUS-8 has a slightly above average performance in plain edged blades as well. I don't rank it as high as I do VG-10 but for a fixed blade Hawkbill in combo edge I would jump on it immediately. I do find it very interesting that a lot of the steels that make for great Spyderedged blades don't really perform all that well in plain edge>> and there is a vice-versa to that in steels that tend to make great plain edged performers.

That STEEL WILL fixed blade Hawkbill has truly gotten my attention big time!!. I hope that the Great Spyder Factory is watching their competition closely.