Eagle Scouts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for sharing jtoler & Domanfp. Keep them coming in everyone!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

kCalderon wrote:What else should I carry with me?
Except for a sharp knife, food and water?
Any hints? I want to go hiking this weekend.
A compass and a good topographic map would be high on my list. So would a small first aid kit.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

OA in '97. Eagle in '98. Also had my Arrow of Light. I'm glad to see a few other fellow scouts around here!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kingm

Post by kingm »

Eagle Scout 1982.
OA Vigil

Been a Scoutmaster for 7 years so far.

Oldest son is also an Eagle (and Vigil).

Younger son is currently Life and closing in on Eagle.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thats terrific kingm. A family full of Eagles. You must be so proud. I hope my son follows in my foot-steps one day.
kingm wrote:Eagle Scout 1982.
OA Vigil

Been a Scoutmaster for 7 years so far.

Oldest son is also an Eagle (and Vigil).

Younger son is currently Life and closing in on Eagle.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Are any of the forum member on the National Eagle Scout Association? Since 2012 is the 100th anniversary.
pauledst

Post by pauledst »

Congratulations to you all both for attaining rank and for service to the Scouting program.
I attained Eagle in 1960. My four (younger) brothers did it over the next 10 years. My son reached Life. I remember my first employer saying that my Scouting was a positive influence in the hiring process. That impressed me!
I still have the summer camp patch from the first year that camp was open. Black and red on a white background and unique to that year.
xceptnl

Re: Eagle Scouts

Post by xceptnl »

With all of the new members around I figured this zombie thread (it was one of my first) deserved to come back for another round. So fellow Scouts, chime in.
*Landon*
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Eagle Scout, class of 1972. Attended the 13th World Jamboree in Japan. "Once an Eagle always an Eagle". :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Eagle Scout, class of 1999.

Spent countless nights in all weather camping with the scouts, including several trips to Philmont and the Northern Tier Canoe Base. I am blessed enough to to continue backpacking with several Eagle Scouts.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I was always into camping and outdoors as a youth, but never through the BSA. Fast forward 30 years, and my son is currently a Webelos and I am the Den Leader. I have 9 boys in the den and we are finishing up our Webelos rank and will begin working on the Arrow of Light in the Spring. I enjoy the opportunity to learn scouting and teach the boys. They are great kids.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Hopweaver wrote:I was always into camping and outdoors as a youth, but never through the BSA. Fast forward 30 years, and my son is currently a Webelos and I am the Den Leader. I have 9 boys in the den and we are finishing up our Webelos rank and will begin working on the Arrow of Light in the Spring. I enjoy the opportunity to learn scouting and teach the boys. They are great kids.
The day my son was born (8-1/2 years ago) I remember the smile coming over my face thinking that one day I will share this love of nature and Scouting with him and we will spend many nights in the woods together. Fast forward and we are already doing exactly that. He now has his tot'n-chip as well so we enjoy making firesticks. Currently working on carving a hiking staff for him from a piece of hardwood he found on our first hike together.
*Landon*
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Wow, I did not know there were this many scouts on this forum. Eagle Scout class 1990 and Brotherhood in Order of the Arrow. I also earned my Arrow of Light in Cub Scouts. Today, the journey still continues as I am now the Cub Master in our local pack. Both of my sons are Cubs, one a Tiger and the other a Bear. My eldest just got his whittling chip. I am so proud of the both of them!

JonesE
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I tapped out at Life Scout.

Did it all though, Cubs, Scouts, Explorer, a couple of OA sashs, Scout Lifeguard, even the Mile Swim. :eek:

Great program, had a good time and learned a lot.
Jimbro

Post by Jimbro »

Hi, Eagle Scout in 1982, one of 3 for my parents. Dad was the Scoutmaster during my time in. Many fond memories of the outdoor activities and friendships formed. My dad took my older brother and me to Ireland for a Jamboree in 1977 where I met my Irish cousins who were in the Scouts over there.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm glad xceptnl revived this thread! I originally posted back in the 2011/2012 time frame about my youngest son bridging over from Webelos. Well, I wanted to report that he is completing his Eagle project this month and will go in front of his Board of Review next month. We'll have another Eagle in the family. That will make four of us!

Yours in Scouting.
TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

phillipsted wrote:I'm glad xceptnl revived this thread! I originally posted back in the 2011/2012 time frame about my youngest son bridging over from Webelos. Well, I wanted to report that he is completing his Eagle project this month and will go in front of his Board of Review next month. We'll have another Eagle in the family. That will make four of us!

Yours in Scouting.
TedP
Ted,
It’s good to see you back, my friend. :) I hope all is well for you. Congratulations also to your son on his achievement! That is really awesome. By the way, are you still doing custom woodworking/handle making?

-Michael

P.S. FWIW, I wanted to mention that my late father was an Eagle Scout. Sadly, he would not allow my brothers or I to join the Scouts when we became of age (much to our dismay). I guess he had his reasons for this decision, although he never expressed them to me. :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Always regretted not becoming an Eagle Scout. Made it to Life in 1960 when we were transferred and I did not join another troop. For Army Brats, scout troops usually were organized on post and had great facilities and support. A side benefit was that military discipline was unavoidable.

The greatest influence on me was our assistant scoutmaster, a bachelor NCO with no children of his own and a Korean war veteran. He took it upon himself to take the troop leader and the patrol leaders on leadership camping trips. Forced marches, I mean hikes, in two foot deep snow or up swift moving streams toughened us up. Whining was not an option. When we returned to our patrols, we passed it along. Leadership skills, planning, organization, training and discipline were the main things I got out of scouting. The outdoor skills were secondary.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.