We need more Wharncliffes!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
W7H2O

Re: We need more Wharncliffes!

Post by W7H2O »

I know this is premature. How about a Spyderco Caribbean wharnie?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:
sal wrote:So I'm thinking about a Salt 2 Warnie. I'd like one for water sports. Interest?

sal
Absolutely. H1 with nice shallower serrations like the current one. Hook me up!
:confused:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Demon85z wrote:
sal wrote:So I'm thinking about a Salt 2 Warnie. I'd like one for water sports. Interest?
sal
Yes!!!
Yessssss !

P.S Spyderedge I hope :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

elena86 wrote:
Jazz wrote: ...shallower serrations like the current one. Hook me up!
The SE wharnie has not so deep serrations as say, the Salt 1 I have. The Salt 1 serrations catch on everything. The Delica wharnie cuts a lot easier.

- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Jazz wrote: ...shallower serrations like the current one. Hook me up!
The SE wharnie has not so deep serrations as say, the Salt 1 I have. The Salt 1 serrations catch on everything. The Delica wharnie cuts a lot easier.

Interesting ! I own three and all have quite deep serrations, maybe not as deep as the Salt line but it apears to be deeper than yours.Maybe I purchased the improved ones :p
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

elena86 wrote: Interesting ! I own three and all have quite deep serrations, maybe not as deep as the Salt line but it apears to be deeper than yours.Maybe I purchased the improved ones :p
I don't suppose you have a picture, do you? Why do you like them pointier or deeper?
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:
elena86 wrote: Interesting ! I own three and all have quite deep serrations, maybe not as deep as the Salt line but it apears to be deeper than yours.Maybe I purchased the improved ones :p
I don't suppose you have a picture, do you? Why do you like them pointier or deeper?
That's how I like serrations.As pointy and agressive as possible.They are meant to be agressive IMO.I keep them stupid sharp and they rip open with ease.

Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Ok, now don't go lighting me on fire and tossing me into the bushes here but...

What about instead of a traditional Wahrnie, it was more Xacto shaped? Just for visuals, imagine laying a straight edge across a Manix 2 blade from the tip to where it meets the ricasso. Not a super steep angle but definite. In a smaller knife like a Man or Lady bug I'd think this would be a wicked little utilitarian knife.

Crazy?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Eli Chaps wrote:Ok, now don't go lighting me on fire and tossing me into the bushes here but...

What about instead of a traditional Wahrnie, it was more Xacto shaped? Just for visuals, imagine laying a straight edge across a Manix 2 blade from the tip to where it meets the ricasso. Not a super steep angle but definite. In a smaller knife like a Man or Lady bug I'd think this would be a wicked little utilitarian knife.

Crazy?
IMO its better to have it straight like the wharnie delica than slanted up like a re-ground manix 2. If you take a look at my modded Ark (Arkidashi) it suffers from the upward slant. I think it forces me to orient my wrist in more awkward angles compared to the cutting edge to handle angle of the Centofante 4, Delica, Ronin 2 etc.
:unicorn
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

Eli Chaps wrote:Ok, now don't go lighting me on fire and tossing me into the bushes here but...

Crazy?
An Xacto blade shape would be pretty scary to the sheeple! As a defensive blade it might work though. I'm still hoping for a Wharnie style Manix 2 or PM2. A light weight Manix 2 Wharnie in S30V or CTS-XHP is probably my Grail now that I've had time to think about it. The Delica just never fit my hand well, I have bear claws so I need a wider and deeper handle.

The M2 fits my hand as close to perfect as I've felt besides the Cold Steel Recon 1. The R1 is just too big to carry most times but the M2 is just the right size for my needs. A Wharnie would be awesome for scraping gaskets and resharpening would be a breeze!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

elena86 wrote: Image
[/quote][/quote]

They are exactly like mine. They are a lot shallower than the Salt. Very nice. Thanks for the pic, bro.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Much as I like the Manbug Salt, I really wanted to try this mod out. Took a lot of hand work. No electricity involved. I'd prefer the shape I drew, but I'll give this a try and see how I like it.

- best wishes, Jazz.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ Those are pretty slick!
Going back to Caly.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Looks great Jazz, would love to see that hit production.
tangent

Post by tangent »

sal
Absolutely! I'd hope for an FFG model in LC200N.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Crazy?
Inevitably when ever Jazz starts talking about manbug and Dfly sized wharnies ( That Modded Manbug Salt looks great btw Jazz! :D ) I try to advocate for for a wharncliffe shape a little closer to the Yojimbo. Honestly though, I like the rounded wharncliffe shape just as much. Variety right? :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Crazy?
Inevitably when ever Jazz starts talking about manbug and Dfly sized wharnies ( That Modded Manbug Salt looks great btw Jazz! :D ) I try to advocate for for a wharncliffe shape a little closer to the Yojimbo. Honestly though, I like the rounded wharncliffe shape just as much. Variety right? :spyder:
Somewhere on my PC I have a knife mock-up I'm sure you'd like. Back when the Yojimbo 1 was current and I carried a Caly 3, I did a mock-up of the two combined. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
:unicorn
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Vivi wrote:

Crazy?
IMO its better to have it straight like the wharnie delica than slanted up like a re-ground manix 2. If you take a look at my modded Ark (Arkidashi) it suffers from the upward slant. I think it forces me to orient my wrist in more awkward angles compared to the cutting edge to handle angle of the Centofante 4, Delica, Ronin 2 etc.
Hi Vivi,

I think it would definitely require a modified grip for some uses. I think lateral type cutting would necessitate more of a pinch grip or even laying your index finger over the spine.

In my mind I'm seeing sort of a mashup of a honesuki and an Xacto blade. There's also the Japnese kiridashi but they tend to be more chisel like. The angular shape is especially helpful in perpendicular cuts, like slicing a line running sideways and for cutting things like packaging at chest height but yet it retains a fine point that allows detailed work and controlled slicing in other positions. Maybe not the best apple slicer but a great work type tool. I guess in my brain, I can see a small bladed knife of this shape being very handy for utility tasks.

Hope that all makes sense.

:)
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I’d really like to see more thin/narrow gentleman’s knives like the Air please. It seems like the Swick, Jazzlica and Yo2 fit the bill very well already for other size ranges.
I need to put my vote in for this---no changes, just an improved Air, a more economical steel. It would be a perfect replacement for my Al Mar Falcon.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

tangent wrote:

sal
Absolutely! I'd hope for an FFG model in LC200N.
Same!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.