Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Mastiff wrote: Spin and Cricket. My clumsy hands turn these into finger and hand biters. Got rid of both I think. It's been a while since I saw one here so I'm pretty sure I did.
I wish these had been back locks.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
foofie

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by foofie »

Came across this older thread looking for comments on the positron (trying to decide its fate). Gonna resurrect an almost zombie thread, just to say that ergos are such an odd thing.

The two that never felt right in my hands were the PM2 and the caly 3.5. Strange thing is I am loving the Para 3 and the caly 3. Just a tiny tweak can make a huge difference sometimes.

Before you think I have small hands, not that there is anything wrong with that :D , I will say the ouroboros did not fit my hands, but the Sliverax fits like a glove.

I tried looking for patterns, such as people who disliked the PM2 tended to like the native 5 due to different hand shapes or something like that. I didn't find any. Too bad - I was hoping for clues as to which knife I should try next.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

The dice. I like smallish knives but the dementions and weight were way off for me. Plus it didn’t flip as well as the domino. I really like the domino though.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

The dodo. I lusted after it and it just did not fit my hand. Figured out it was.not one size fits all.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Context is, I think, important. My knife needs and tastes have changed over the years. Long ago, I drove to Alaska from Colorado and lived in a tent all summer. I used to climb, hike and fish a lot more and lived on a small mountain farm for a while. I’m turning 75 next month and have slowed down a tad. My “dislikes” I think are more the result of my changing and changed situation in life, not so much from the knives themselves. Once, my favorite go-anywhere knife was my Buck Ranger. Now, it’s probably my pesky Dragonfly.

Manix 2 LW blue translucent scales. Beautiful. Light. Sharp. Good steel. But when opened in hand for use I just never got used to the handle thinness. I’m still tempted to get another and give it a second chance though because I want to like it.

Native 5. Bought one. Kept it for a couple of days. Just didn’t click with me. Ergonomics I think, although I am liking my new Efficient once I removed the clip.

Stretch. Too long for my uses now.

PM2. Don’t know why exactly. Outstanding knife. Seemed to be overkill for me, although I could take another turn around the floor with one.

My experience has been that I need to have a knife in hand before I really know if we are a good fit. Photos are not enough. Fortunately, I go through Golden now and then so I try to arrange a stop at the Mother Ship for just that purpose.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Manix 2. I loved this when I was looking at photos. It had everything I wanted -- flat ground blade, black blade coating, plainedge, choil, FRN, slightly longer than the serrated black-bladed Native I needed a companion for, so gorgeous. And then I handled a Manix in person and the ergos were horrible for me. I was so disappointed. Still don't have that perfect companion knife for my Native...

Stretch 2. Similar deal, loved the online photos, hated the ergos when I got a chance to hold it. I think the Stretch 1 would've worked better for me, with the smaller handle and longer blade, but there's no store nearby that still has one in stock for me to try out.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Sadly, Dragonfly 2 Hawkbill.

I also didn’t like the Cricket.
brj

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by brj »

For some strange reason, the positioning of the Meerkat tip always surprises me in use (I find it unexpectedly low in relationship with the centerline of the handle, and not where I would expect it to be) and this somehow detracts from the pleasure of using it.

I'm also with Vivi on not quite getting the Endura 4 handle, I much prefer the E3 handle you can still find on the Pacific Salt (I've tried to like the E4 several times and each time ended up getting rid of them).
SG89

Post by SG89 »

spambait11 wrote:Sadly, Dragonfly 2 Hawkbill.

I also didn’t like the Cricket.
I hated cricket too until I reground to sheepsfoot
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Like many have said, some knives just aren't for everyone. It has never really been about handle size for me as much as just the fit in my grip. The Native 5 (2013 forum version) always felt chunky to my palm and I guess its because I only have the FRN Natives to compare it to. If I thinned the primary grind as well as rounded the handles more (a la Shaman) i might feel differently.
The Para 2 is the only other model I have owned that I didn't fall completely in love with. My Para 1 was heavily modified and the handle ergos are perfect for me now, in time i will work on my only Para 2 and see if I can learn to love it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

PM2-i realy wanted to love it,but its simply not for me.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
osprey

Post by osprey »

Manix 2 XL - dislike the lock, dislike the jimping, dislike how big it rides in the pocket, and dislike the S30V
Scott1015

Post by Scott1015 »

These knives are not saltwater friendly, simply put they are not made of stainless steel. Had I known this I would not have bought it
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Scott1015 wrote:These knives are not saltwater friendly, simply put they are not made of stainless steel. Had I known this I would not have bought it
Not sure which of "These knives..." you mean. Spyderco makes an entire lineup of salt water knives.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scott1015 wrote:These knives are not saltwater friendly, simply put they are not made of stainless steel. Had I known this I would not have bought it
Actually the vast majority of them ARE made of stainless steel(s), but saltwater is a whole different animal when it comes to corrosion. You need to check out the Salt line of knives, which do not rust even in saltwater.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/marine
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Native.
It was smaller than I thought and my tastes have changed. I like bigger blades and as much as I do like finger choils they are not as appealing as they used to be. Besides the Manix, knives that get the post pocket time don't have pronounced choils, GB2, Spydie Chef, Endura Hap40, Sliverax.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
amishviking

Post by amishviking »

PM2 is the first Spyderco I bought for myself. Its also the only one that I'd sell to justify adding something else to the collection.
wheats

Post by wheats »

Sage1. Ergos are great, no problem with fit and finish, it's a great knife, and yet it just doesn't do anything for me. Can't really explain why
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Caly 3.5 Actually, I don't dislike the Caly 3.5 - I just thought I would like it a lot more. Now the Caly 3 I really, really like. It's proportions are just right.
seber

Post by seber »

Manix 2 lightweight. I've always been very fond of true leaf blades because of the ability to pinch grip the blade. This was my first finger choil, first FRN and first tip up only carry. Turns out I hate all three.