Sell me on a Military.. since im a lefty

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Sell me on a Military.. since im a lefty

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Yes and i don't mind being a lefty. Many models that are right hand dominate favored i use every day PM2, Domino, Southard but the Military and some of the exclusive ones in upgraded steels really have me wanting one. So sell me on a m4 or s90 model:

1. Worth the price for the upgraded steel?
2. Clip is right hand only position?
3. Can you justify needing a full 4" blade around the house and/or camping or is it that big?

Have never handled one since i don't have any dealers around me but i have some excess cash and wonder if it will be worth it. All input welcome...
Nate

Re: Sell me on a Military.. since im a lefty

Post by Nate »

You should do your fellow lefties a solid and consider buying the left hand version(s) that Spyderco was kind enough to produce. To me it tops any steel upgrade, and yes, the standard Millie clip is right hand only.

:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

3. I admit I don't carry it a ton due to the size, but I do like to bust it out on weekends doing yardwork or hiking/camping. The Military carries small considering, and as a lefty, the left hand Millie and PM2 were must own for me.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd also recommend the left handed military.
anycal

Post by anycal »

... misread a post
Peter
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

What I don't understand is that even on the lefty one, with the clip in tip down position the blade could open if carried in the left pocket. The blade wouldn't be up against the inside of the pocket right?
Nate

Post by Nate »

You are correct, but it feels really natural as a back pocket carry blade for me.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played a right handed guitar.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:I'd also recommend the left handed military.
I was pretty sure that the C-36 Military model was for sure one that they made left handed versions of. Oh I can make a lot of cases for using a C-36 Military as your primary EDC. Because I've been using my M390 Military for my main EDC for almost two years now and frankly it would take a real powerhouse, super design for me to even consider giving it a rest.

There are only two scenarios that would make me want to change that anytime soon>>> first and foremost if they came out with another blade steel that would dwarf the M390 blade I'm using now then I would consider it. Second if they were to do a Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model with a supersteel blade I would also consider a change of EDC.

But the Military model has been one of my absolute favorite EDC folders for quite some time now and I don't look for that to change anytime soon. If you could ever find one of the older left handed, 440V full Spyderedged Military models then I would jump on that as well. You just can't go wrong with a C-36 Military model. It's just a really regal, super functional folder that will do just about anything you would need a knife for.
Nate

Post by Nate »

So there's no confusion, Spyderco just re-released the Military left hand. The lefty Para2 has been out for a few months as well.

I'll order another LH Military while they're available to have a backup, plus the new one appears to have all of the cqi updates the current righty models received.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... ary%20left&
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

My favorite 4" folder. I'm right handed and if it was lefty would probably still be.

1. Depends on how you use it. For me it's yes with 52100 or m4.
2. Yes, on my 52100
3. No around the house, got plenty others that length and longer readily available. Camping yes, I hate digging out a food prep only knife, and can beat the **** out of above steels.

It works great for cantaloupes.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's good. I said so. That's plenty.

:)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

1.) M4 or S110V - yes. My S110V just spent a week in a forest, and it's still shaving sharp.
2.) Does it matter if you carry it in a back pocket? The clip's tip-down, and that is much worse.
3.) Seriously, what do all you people use knives for? Cutting boxes all day? An EDC knife, at least in my experience, is mostly used for food. Cutting bread and etc. with a Military is comfortable, and I can't say the same for smaller knives. And just imagine trying to cut a cake with a Delica? I almost always carry something around 4', it's just functional.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In the past mine were probably 80% for corrugated. These days the only boxes I cut up are from stuff that comes in the mail.

I did slice up some veggies today with my S110V Military. It was basically effortless and it could use a sharpening.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:In the past mine were probably 80% for corrugated. These days the only boxes I cut up are from stuff that comes in the mail.

I did slice up some veggies today with my S110V Military. It was basically effortless and it could use a sharpening.
Funny you would mention the S110V Millie because I was doing some stuff with my Para 2, S110V folder today and it was like cutting with a laser. The Spyderco ULTRA-FINE 302 Benchstone really puts a super wicked edge on S110V. I like that blade steel but it's still not going to unseat my M390 anytime soon.

But if our good Brother who started this thread can land a left handed S110V Military model he would be a fool to pass it up ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
But if our good Brother who started this thread can land a left handed S110V Military model he would be a fool to pass it up ;)
JD, I'd convert from left to right handed to own a S110V Millie! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin