EDC knife for camping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Re: EDC knife for camping?

Post by this_is_nascar »

bouhunter wrote:
this_is_nascar wrote:Find a good fixed blade for what you're doing.
Except he said it will also be for EDC.

Native lightweight.
I missed that part. Delica or Native lightweight. Either will work well and if you lose or break it, it's not the end of the world.
blur

Post by blur »

I think i will pick delica 4 and stretch 2.

The question now is which steel? Zdp or vg10?

Thank you all for help.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Since you mentioned easy sharpening I'd go with VG10.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Go with VG10 for the Stretch and ZDP for the Delica. That way you can have the sturdy edge retention plus ease of sharpening with your bigger general-use blade (making kindling, tent stakes, etc..) then utilize ultra sharp plus lasting edge of ZDP for your precision cutting tasks (paracord, fishing line, and such.)
blur

Post by blur »

Cutting vegetabels and food in general is not a problem for this blades? Thx
AndreFazanaro

Post by AndreFazanaro »

This maybe help you to choose a medium soft steel. Get duller fast but it's easer to sharp.

jdw

Post by jdw »

Just for sake of discussion...Unless you are going to be out in the field for a really long time or are performing some particularly hard cutting tasks I would be very surprised if you significantly dulled the ZDP, hence no need for field sharpening.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
blur

Post by blur »

@ AndreFazanaro: interesting to see on this graph that VG-10 is on same level as CPM S30V. I thought this is much harder steel compare to VG-10.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Nice name OP :)

When I go hiking/camping I always have an orange delica in VG10 on me. I'll also always have a larger fixed blade but I'll make sure that delica is sharp before I go out it works great for all my smaller cutting tasks. I remember I was comparing the size and weight against a few other spydies and landed on the delica as a happy medium.
attila

Post by attila »

blur wrote:@ AndreFazanaro: interesting to see on this graph that VG-10 is on same level as CPM S30V. I thought this is much harder steel compare to VG-10.
Hardness and ease of sharpening are only loosely related. For example: M390 at 59 hrc will have better wear resistance than 440C at 60 hrc. It is because of the structure of the steel. Also, if you were to compare 440C over a range of hardnesses, a sample of higher hardness should be expected to display greater wear resistance, but even that isn't guaranteed.
AndreFazanaro wrote:
That chart is misleading because it doesn't describe any characteristics besides how well the steel resists a specific type of deformation. There is no data about the structure or heat treatment of the steels and their various constituent elements, so it cannot be used to definitively determine a steel's characteristics.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
anycal

Post by anycal »

Military for me. I use my fixed blade lot less since I started camping with my Military.

Large enough for food prep. Light enough to have on you at all times - away from camp on a hike, swimming, fishing, etc. Open construction makes it easy to clean.

Manix 2 or PM2 also great candidates.
Peter
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Two knives are needed

Pacific salt with serrated edge. For now! ( take a while to go blunt= enough time to learn sharpening )

Delica for using and learning sharpening skills
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

anycal wrote:Military for me. I use my fixed blade lot less since I started camping with my Military.

Large enough for food prep. Light enough to have on you at all times - away from camp on a hike, swimming, fishing, etc. Open construction makes it easy to clean.

Manix 2 or PM2 also great candidates.
My thoughts exactly. The added bonus to owning a Military is the Para 2 suddenly becomes small. ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Military for me too
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
blur

Post by blur »

i decided to go Delica VG-10.

i did not decide yet if i should go for Stretch or Endura to have a edc with longer steel. can you help me with decision?

thanks
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Delica is my favorite EDC by far. For camping, I would prefer a longer blade. People love the stretch (I dont have one). The endura/pac salt is definitely an option. I think the pac salt SE is a tremendous knife and is one of my Favs even though the ergos are not perfect for me.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Military - longer edge is always plus
Pacific Salt serrated- great knife to beat on everything
jdw

Post by jdw »

blur wrote:i decided to go Delica VG-10.

i did not decide yet if i should go for Stretch or Endura to have a edc with longer steel. can you help me with decision?

thanks
I would vote for the Endura. I love the Stretch, and gifted one to my son at Christmas so it's really hard to go wrong with either, but I prefer the longer and more narrow blade that the Endura has, especially for any food prep. On long hikes it also seems to ride in my pocket without taking up as much space as the Stretch. I don't hunt but my friends who do really weigh in heavily in favor of the Stretch for skinning game. I love ZDP but if you really feel the need to field sharpen there are still both some of each around the secondary market in HAP40. A scatter shot of opinions. Mainly I hope you enjoy every moment camping on this beautiful planet.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
AndreFazanaro

Post by AndreFazanaro »

AndreFazanaro wrote:
That chart is misleading because it doesn't describe any characteristics besides how well the steel resists a specific type of deformation. There is no data about the structure or heat treatment of the steels and their various constituent elements, so it cannot be used to definitively determine a steel's characteristics.[/quote]

Of course it's not a absolut truth, but is a "north" for edge holding.
Heat treatment, blade geometry, edge angle, edge finish... all depends as like as depends what you will use for. If I was in a plain and crash down and I survived I would like to have a soft steel in my hands because generaly speaking is easer to sharp.
But in a 30 days trip knowing exactly what I'll do so my choice would be paramilitary too. But in this case I would carry some kind of sharpener while soft steels you can make it sharp on a rock.