Maxamet future plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Maxamet future plans?

Post by Popsickle »

Other than what has already been released and announced..... what are the future plans for Maxamet?

I would like to see a manix back lock in maxamet.... but that's just me :)
ZrowsN1s

Re: Maxamet future plans?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yojimbo 2 please.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
savagesick

Post by savagesick »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Yojimbo 2 please.
Along with a thicker tip
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

UKPK, please. :)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

AFAIK they're doing all of the main Golden knives in Maxamet, so the Millie would probably be a lock to get it. After that, I'd give the UKPK a really good chance, but since it also took a minute to get the S110V version of that the Maxamet may not be soon.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

dplafoll wrote:AFAIK they're doing all of the main Golden knives in Maxamet, so the Millie would probably be a lock to get it. After that, I'd give the UKPK a really good chance, but since it also took a minute to get the S110V version of that the Maxamet may not be soon.

Yes, is seems that way. They said all golden knives will be getting the S110V treatment and hat hasn't happened yet.... they probably aren't done either. I have high hopes for maxamet versions of specific knives. The PM2 is clearly the most popular. I'm hoping the shaman becomes very popular and sees a production version with maxamet as well as the back lock Manix 2
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Popsickle wrote:
dplafoll wrote:AFAIK they're doing all of the main Golden knives in Maxamet, so the Millie would probably be a lock to get it. After that, I'd give the UKPK a really good chance, but since it also took a minute to get the S110V version of that the Maxamet may not be soon.

Yes, is seems that way. They said all golden knives will be getting the S110V treatment and hat hasn't happened yet.... they probably aren't done either. I have high hopes for maxamet versions of specific knives. The PM2 is clearly the most popular. I'm hoping the shaman becomes very popular and sees a production version with maxamet as well as the back lock Manix 2
I'd take an S110V Yojimbo 2 too if they ever get around to it. :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Manix 2 XL? Something big and thin, a cutter! The Police 4 fits that description as well, but the last I've heard there were issues with K390 availability.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Popsickle wrote:

Well, the only production Golden models not in S110V now would be Yojimbo and Manix XL, right? And I can see how the Yo2 doesn't count as a signature model that would get it, and the Manix XL may not sell well enough to get it either. But in general they've gotten just about all of them in S110V now (or will be once the Para 3 is out). I would bet on the same models in Maxamet as are in S110V, with the UKPK being later. I could also see the Shaman getting the S110V and Maxamet once it's been out for a little while and sales are proven. There's not as much risk releasing a new production steel on the main Golden models that are so popular, but Spyderco will wait on actual sales data to tell them if the Shaman is worth the extra work. I would love to see the MBL in Maxamet and/or S110V, but I could see them doing MBL sprints in both of those steels as well.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Foundry and P'kal are Golden made and have not come out in S110V. ;)

I think the Para3 and MBL will at some point. :) I hope for a ManixXL as well.

I am just waiting for the Military in Maxamet. That will be sweet!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dplafoll wrote: And I can see how the Yo2 doesn't count as a signature model that would get it, and the Manix XL may not sell well enough to get it either.
I know :( Even in the catalog it's a "Specialty" knife along with the Karahawk and the Janisong (aka a Self Defense knife) It bums me out. I wish it would get more love as being an EDC and a self defense knife (much like the PM2) and become part of the regular Golden line up. I feel like the only reason the Yo2 isn't one of Syderco's top sellers is that most people have never had a chance to handle one AND because it doesn't get Sprint runs like the PM2 or other models that would help increase it's popularity among Spyderco AFI's and first time customers alike.
...anyways I hope that wasn't to much whining from me :o I'm sure everyone has a favorite they feel is too often overlooked ;)

dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Foundry and P'kal are Golden made and have not come out in S110V. ;)

I think the Para3 and MBL will at some point. :) I hope for a ManixXL as well.

I am just waiting for the Military in Maxamet. That will be sweet!!!!
The Foundry is disco'd, and as it was a collab with Carpenter Steel I don't think they'll use a Crucible steel on it. ;)

And the P'kal is in the same Specialty Knife boat as the Yo2.
Patrick LaFollette
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Whoa. I didn't realize it was discoed. :confused: Too bad, it is a good design.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

For right now I'd just like a humble G-10 Manix2 in Maxamet, with a dark gray G-10 handle. Then, next, I'd like to see a Shaman sprint or exclusive in the same. And at some point down the road, $$ willing, a Manix2 XL would be a pure luxury.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Hey Popsickle, I don't know where live now, but you said you were moving close to the Smokies and wanted an outdoor folder. I live not far from there, and something to consider is the humidity in the summer here.

I understand that Maxamet is no more stainless than M4, perhaps a bit less so. Something to consider is that it will likely show rust spots due to sweat. I carried an M4 PM2 on a backpacking trip recently, and saw a lot of small rust spots afterward. To a lesser degree this has happened when I have had it in my pocket while working in the yard.

After that trip I removed the blade and soaked it in vinegar for an hour or so. It is a light gray, and seems to resist rust better now. Perhaps your sweat will not be as corrosive (though I have never had rust on a stainless blade before), but perhaps more corrosive.

If you don't have an issue with maintaining your knives you have no worries. This may include buffing off rust from time to time. I just thought I would point it out.