One spydie...just ONE.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: One spydie...just ONE.

Post by Holland »

Mantra 1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
LDB

Post by LDB »

Or maybe a Yojimbo 2.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

abbazaba wrote:Another Native5 LW, why fight it.

But I agree that you should really check out the Sage 1,2,and 5... They are excellent every occasion knives. I'm a big fan of the Manix2 LW, but it's really not a suit/office carry IMO. The Chaparral is one ofy favorites, but it's much thinner than the Native5.

I probably post this pic too much, but hopefully it shows how the Sage sits right between the Native5 and Manix2 and helps your decision

Manix2, Sage1, Native5, Chaparral, Dragonfly2, Delica4

Without without the picture I would have never guessed the delica is the same length if not a bit longer than the native! Thanks! :)

Leaning towards just sticking to the native but going s110 or maxamet. Not sure on the true difference or worth of the upgrade between steels though, although the gray is more appealing than blue to me for some reason
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Yo2.

Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Delica would be a great choice for an only one. But another native would also be good and I like the idea of the sage 5 considering your criteria.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I vote Sage 5 or Para 3. Sage 5 is more gentlemanly, the Para 3 is more hard use outdoorsy. Both are more then adequate to tackle all the tasks you list though. PM2 is just a classic so you should get that too..and.. :D
Josh
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I think you threw us all with the 'just one' part
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
remnar

Post by remnar »

Slumblor wrote:I think you threw us all with the 'just one' part
I thought that part was a joke. ;)

Either way I'm sticking to my first recommendation of the Sage 5. If you like the Native, then go ahead and stick with one of those but I prefer the Sage design and the compression lock is my favorite. :) :spyder:
ero2

Post by ero2 »

The ONE, may change, but using trends of my life...one will be it lol.

Very very newbie question, what makes the Para 3 and the Sage 5 different? Carbon Fiber scales? Blade Shape?

So far thinking I need:

A para 3, para 2, Sage 5, lol.

I didn't realize how much broader the Manix was in the pocket, until looking at the Pm2 and Pm3. PM3 Blacked out is looking like an option when it launches, Native in 110 or Maxamet, or trusty old Pm2. My ONE knife, is quickly going out the window friends!!
LDB

Post by LDB »

It seems with Spyderco it's much more feasible to think in terms of just 1dozen and have at least some possibility of sticking to it.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

LDB wrote:It seems with Spyderco it's much more feasible to think in terms of just 1dozen and have at least some possibility of sticking to it.
LOL, appears that way!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ero2 wrote:Very very newbie question, what makes the Para 3 and the Sage 5 different? Carbon Fiber scales? Blade Shape?
Aside from scale materials (G10 vs. CF/G10 laminate) the biggest differences are blade shape, clip style & location, size of the Spydie hole, size of the lanyard tube, and blade thickness. There are also subtle differences in the handle shapes. I also think they use different style pivots but don't hold me to that.
ero2 wrote:My ONE knife, is quickly going out the window friends!!
Haha! That's the spirit! Welcome to the club!

BTW, the Manix is fairly wide but it's really not as bad in pocket as you might think. I originally thought I'd never want a pocket hog like that. Now I have several. I don't carry them all the time but they're really not as bad as I thought, especially when I'm wearing cargo shorts or I carry them IWB. I had a Manix 2 LW in my pocket while working around the house this morning and reached in the same pocket to retrieve other things several times and had no problem reaching around it.

Also, I know you're interested in a Native 5 in S110V or Maxamet but I wouldn't be too quick to overlook the base models with S35VN. I find that S35VN is an excellent all around steel and it's fairly easy to get sticky sharp.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Cruwear Para 3!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

PM2 if you like choils.Polestar if you dont.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Get yourself a Delica 4. Everything after that will be just cuz ya wanted it. ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Gayle Bradley 2 folder is a fantastic choice, slightly higher end finishing than PM2s, Delicas, and our other favorites IMHO in this price range.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
LDB

Post by LDB »

Massdrop has the Delica on right now at MAP but 45% of buyers will get upgraded and many will also get bonus items of other Spyderco knives or Sharpmaker.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blue-box-s ... emailshare
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Native or Delica with an aftermarket low ride pocket clip.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

As a word association test my answer would be Native Maxamet. With more time to think, I might say Native S110v or Chaparral.

Full disclosure, I failed the "just one test" many many knives ago. :rolleyes:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Gayle Bradley 2 folder is a fantastic choice, slightly higher end finishing than PM2s, Delicas, and our other favorites IMHO in this price range.
Not that I want to see price increases, but I cannot believe the Bradley 2 folder is still selling for such a low street price. It's a high performance knife at a middling price.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001