Para3 and PM2 in Maxamet - stonewash or satin ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Para3 and PM2 in Maxamet - stonewash or satin ?

Post by elena86 »

I am a Cruwear guy but all this hype about Maxamet made me curious.I am very tempted to purchase a Para3 or PM2 in Maxamet but the alleged stonewash finish might be a deal-breaker for me.Any idea if those two are going to be realeased in, hopefully, satin finish :confused:

Marius
Ruudr

Re: Para3 and PM2 in Maxamet - stonewash or satin ?

Post by Ruudr »

As Eric Glesser said in a Shot Show video that the Maxamet steel is to hard for using the regular machines to produce the satin finish. The crisp lines are also very difficult to make because of the high hardness. On the Maxamet steel the edges are more round. Thats why they made the discision to give the blade a stonewash finish. I really like it on my Manix2 Maxamet.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Good info. I love the stonewashed finish on mine and theorized that the smoother finish helps with corrosion resistance, though maybe only in theory. Also like the rounded edges, gives it a nice feel.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't like the thought of a manufacturer using a stonewash finish to hide problems with their grind, but if Spyderco is using it because it is necessary then I am fine with it. I have an older Manix 2 154CM hollow ground that has a stonewash/polished finish that is somewhat unique, the finish hasn't bothered me. I've been on the fence about the Manix 2 Maxamet due to its price. I will be a lot more interested in the PM2 version but the price will still be a big factor.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm super pumped to know if the PM2 in maxamet will be stonewashed...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm pretty exited about a PM2 Maxamet and thinking about the brass scales they sell at KC.

I reckon a natural patina and brass scales will make for a spiffy knife! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bloke wrote:I'm pretty exited about a PM2 Maxamet and thinking about the brass scales they sell at KC.

I reckon a natural patina and brass scales will make for a spiffy knife! :rolleyes:
Now you have me thinking about a special PM3 if they start to offer brass scales for the PM3!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JRinFL wrote:
Bloke wrote:I'm pretty exited about a PM2 Maxamet and thinking about the brass scales they sell at KC.

Now you have me thinking about a special PM3 if they start to offer brass scales for the PM3!
Overall undoubtedly it will add some weight but I don't think it will be too bad. The titanium lanyard tubes look interesting also. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Ruudr wrote:As Eric Glesser said in a Shot Show video that the Maxamet steel is to hard for using the regular machines to produce the satin finish. The crisp lines are also very difficult to make because of the high hardness. On the Maxamet steel the edges are more round. Thats why they made the discision to give the blade a stonewash finish. I really like it on my Manix2 Maxamet.
Looks to me like EVERYTHING is rounded.... spydie hole, jimping, spine. Not exactly a bad thing
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

bdblue wrote:I don't like the thought of a manufacturer using a stonewash finish to hide problems with their grind, but if Spyderco is using it because it is necessary then I am fine with it. ... I've been on the fence about the Manix 2 Maxamet due to its price. I will be a lot more interested in the PM2 version but the price will still be a big factor.
Hey bdblue, I think you find yourself facing quite a conundrum here. They could produce a Maxamet blade with the familiar satin finish, but the labor and abrasives they'd have to burn through would significantly raise the cost. You can see the level of difficulty in producing a fine satin finish just by looking at the knives you may already own. VG-10 comes with a near polish while S110V, at least on my Manix, has a finish visibly coarser than most anything else I own. It just takes longer on these high carbide steels and they wear down belts faster, and these costs will be reflected in the price we see. Stonewashing is clearly the more cost effective option for such a hard steel with so much abrasive wear resistance, but I happen to find it super attractive and if it keeps the price lower, even better!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Koop

Post by Koop »

PayneTrain wrote:[quote="bdblue"

Hey bdblue, I think you find yourself facing quite a conundrum here. They could produce a Maxamet blade with the familiar satin finish, but the labor and abrasives they'd have to burn through would significantly raise the cost. You can see the level of difficulty in producing a fine satin finish just by looking at the knives you may already own. VG-10 comes with a near polish while S110V, at least on my Manix, has a finish visibly coarser than most anything else I own. It just takes longer on these high carbide steels and they wear down belts faster, and these costs will be reflected in the price we see. Stonewashing is clearly the more cost effective option for such a hard steel with so much abrasive wear resistance, but I happen to find it super attractive and if it keeps the price lower, even better!
This is right on the mark. Not only does the price of the raw material - the steel used - affect the final cost. The cost of manufacturing must be factored in. It's not just the wear of grinding, but also the down time for maintenance when you're working high strength steels.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku