Foundry question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
warbow150

Foundry question

Post by warbow150 »

Howdy,
Very interested in this knife. (The Foundry, that is) Is there anyone who owns one who can tell me what they think of theirs? I'd be especially interested in how folks might view it compared to, say, a Manix 2. I'm not concerned about the weight of the thing, more interested in long term use observations, fit and finish, usability, etc. The stuff one can't get by looking at it online. It seems like a great knife for my needs, but I don't have the ability to fiddle with one before clicking the purchase button.
Thanks!
abbazaba

Re: Foundry question

Post by abbazaba »

I have one and I love the slimness. The fit and finish is perfect on my sample, and the lockbar strength makes for a very satisfying experience. It has a similar feel to the Tenacious, but is definitely unique. The up swept tip requires a slightly different technique, kinda like the Slysz Bowie. The weight makes sense in hand and doesn't detract from the knife too much. However, the placement of the clip perplexes me as it does not allow a very deep carry despite having a deep carry clip. The logo looks really pretty good in person. All said, it doesn't seem get pocket priority over my other knives.

You should consider giving this thread a read:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=64674
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Have one and love it. It's one of my most carried knives. The stainless handle is nice as it's pretty flat in hand and in the pocket. There is basically no jimping. I wouldnt mind some. Maybe on the lock bar. Mine had some lock stick but that has cleared up nicely. The stainless doesn't scratch nearly as easily as ti. Even without jimping, it doesn't slip in my hand. Wet might be a different case. The blade is like a super man bug. Just enough tip to core and apple. Any less tip and I wouldn't like this knife. And it's a great slicer with that tall blade. Xhp isn't too bad either.
warbow150

Post by warbow150 »

Thanks for the info. I did look at that thread yesterday. It was helpful.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Super Manbug indeed.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

This knife has grown on me over time, and I think it's on the list now.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
warbow150

Post by warbow150 »

dplafoll wrote:This knife has grown on me over time, and I think it's on the list now.
I know, right? My entry into Spyderco was decades ago with a Police. I actually like that knife a lot, just wish it was a bit shorter. Love my Ti Millie, but same thing, a bit too long. This looks like a great solution. US Made, smooth steel handles for easy pocketing, good steel, right length. Gonna have to pull the trigger on this. Honestly couldn't care less about weight. I'm used to stuff in the 5-6 ounce range. I've tried a couple PM2's, but I can't seem to get into them. I do like the Manix 2, but wish it had titanium scales. (Though I am very much liking the Manix 2 back lock I just got. It is a smoother knife.)

Anyhow, I'm ordering a Foundry.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

abbazaba wrote:I have one and I love the slimness. The fit and finish is perfect on my sample, and the lockbar strength makes for a very satisfying experience. It has a similar feel to the Tenacious, but is definitely unique. The up swept tip requires a slightly different technique, kinda like the Slysz Bowie. The weight makes sense in hand and doesn't detract from the knife too much. However, the placement of the clip perplexes me as it does not allow a very deep carry despite having a deep carry clip. The logo looks really pretty good in person. All said, it doesn't seem get pocket priority over my other knives.

I echo a lot of this sentiment. Out of my modest collection, this is the one I feel I love more than most people. I love it for the same reasons a lot of people don't. I like the weight. The Carpenter logo is way more attractive in person than in pictures. The wide design feels good to grip. The metal handle slides in and out of the pocket so nicely, but the clip keeps it in there securely.

And speaking of the clip, I have a hypothesis that it is purposefully designed in a manner that results in it showing more than some people like. It pins the knife to your pocket right about in the middle of the knife, and rather than riding low and giving it more leverage to swing about, taking your pants with it, it is more centered on your pocket. What it seems to result in is a distribution of weight that makes this knife carry like a lighter knife. I've carried it in gym shorts while walking the dog (she walks fast), and I could barely feel it was there. Plus, it makes taking it out easier, as if it wasn't easy enough!

The design of this knife is so subtly utilitarian. The more I use it, the more I love it!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Bought one but have never used or carried it. I just got such a good deal that I thought I'd regret not having one.
palonej

Post by palonej »

PayneTrain wrote:
abbazaba wrote:I have one and I love the slimness. The fit and finish is perfect on my sample, and the lockbar strength makes for a very satisfying experience. It has a similar feel to the Tenacious, but is definitely unique. The up swept tip requires a slightly different technique, kinda like the Slysz Bowie. The weight makes sense in hand and doesn't detract from the knife too much. However, the placement of the clip perplexes me as it does not allow a very deep carry despite having a deep carry clip. The logo looks really pretty good in person. All said, it doesn't seem get pocket priority over my other knives.

I echo a lot of this sentiment. Out of my modest collection, this is the one I feel I love more than most people. I love it for the same reasons a lot of people don't. I like the weight. The Carpenter logo is way more attractive in person than in pictures. The wide design feels good to grip. The metal handle slides in and out of the pocket so nicely, but the clip keeps it in there securely.

And speaking of the clip, I have a hypothesis that it is purposefully designed in a manner that results in it showing more than some people like. It pins the knife to your pocket right about in the middle of the knife, and rather than riding low and giving it more leverage to swing about, taking your pants with it, it is more centered on your pocket. What it seems to result in is a distribution of weight that makes this knife carry like a lighter knife. I've carried it in gym shorts while walking the dog (she walks fast), and I could barely feel it was there. Plus, it makes taking it out easier, as if it wasn't easy enough!

The design of this knife is so subtly utilitarian. The more I use it, the more I love it!
What an excellent write up PT!!
I had very little interest in the Foundry........till now, thanks to you!!
I think I should curse you, rather than thank you........durn enabler!!!
:D
Joe
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

palonej wrote: I think I should curse you, rather than thank you........durn enabler!!!
Oops. :o

Yeah, I have a tendency to give a lot of products the benefit if the doubt, sometimes to the point of buying crap and convincing myself it's not. I got this knife and saw the practically center-mounted clip and thought "ok, there has to be a good reason for this." And yeah, after walking with that big hunk of steel in my pocket it really convinced me that the clip placement had to be the result of a lot of consideration of how this knife would ride in a pocket. Another knife that I have years of dedicated history with is the total opposite. It has a tiny clip that pokes out of the butt of the handle, and while that knife is aluminum and therefore lighter than the Foundry, it swings all around when I'm in motion. BUT, it is practically invisible, so that's the trade off.

Or maybe I'm just really overthinking it and I'm just accidentally a really good unpaid Spyderco salesman. Which is cool, except for the unpaid part. Though really, that's what we all are here isn't it? A volunteer advertising department. :)
timlara

Post by timlara »

Not a whole lot to add that PayneTrain and abbazaba didn't already mention, but I will echo that the Foundry carries a lot smaller than its specs would make you think, just due to the slimness and excellent clip.

I also just think the concept of the knife is cool, in that it's all made with Carpenter materials. The 465 steel that they used for the handles takes a really nice finish and seems every bit as "fancy" as any of my titanium folders. Sometimes stainless handle knives can seem lower end and I suspect that perception -- by folks who haven't had a chance to handle one in person -- may have kept this knife from gaining the popularity it deserved, but the Foundry definitely feels very premium, and the fit and finish is exceptional. Even the back spacer / standoffs are a neat design. Just very well executed overall and one of the "never sell" items in my collection.
Tim
warbow150

Post by warbow150 »

So, the Foundry came in yesterday evening. I very much like the knife. I should have purchased this one sooner. Great length for EDC. My only one real complaint about the Manix was how much space it takes up in my pocket. This definitely remedies that problem. Blade shape is good, lockup is very solid, good materials. I'm a bit surprised this one doesn't get more love from the general populace.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I don't fully get it either. I think there's relatively less interest in steel-handled knives than synthetics or even titanium, and that's probably the biggest part of it. For me, the more steel the better! Carrying mine today!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I just love the foundry but the pricing makes it a hard sell. You could get a mantra for less. Heck, the stainless endura is half the price. I know the lock bar has a lot of grinding to be done. It's just pricy.
Still, I would really like to get a second one and do a stone washed finish on it. Those dollars just keep getting used on other knives.