How good at auctions are you ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
boxer93

How good at auctions are you ?

Post by boxer93 »

I don't consider myself very good at auctions. Especially e-bay. I usually get outbid. especially at the last few seconds. Well yesterday I was trying to win a statue from the Washington DC arts council (http://www.pandamaniadc.org). They had/have 150 large statues that they are auctioning off as well as some smaller statues. I wanted to see if I could get one since our family had seen them while visting this past summer. The first one I tried for went well over my budget. The second one though I won. I think I was the most surprised :eek: Then last night I was after a smaller statue and there was another bidder. I wanted to wait until near the end to place the bid. Well imagine my surprise, I place the bid at the exact second that the aution ended. The also prevented the software from automatically extending the auction too.
So right now I'm feeling pretty good about my luck. Maybe a powerball ticket next :) Now I just have to arrange shipping.
How good at auctions are you?
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

Chris,

A lot of folks use automated sniping programs to enter a bid at the last few seconds of an auction. Look at esnipe.com to see how this works. Best of luck

j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I gotta ask, what are ya gonna do with it, set it in the front yard?
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

rom831,
Not the front yard. Maybe the back by a trellis or the game room. All I have to do is ask my sons to help move it. "How much does it weigh Dad? Only about 800lbs. :) "
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
AllenETreat

And the winner is....

Post by AllenETreat »

boxer93 -

One thing I notice with on-line "auctions" is to not bid
until before the auction closes - apparently what happens in
your case is someone outbids you at the last second. I'm not
much into evilBay, but once in a while frequent -

http://www.BladeAuction.com

The auction show's days, hours & minutes before the auction officially
closes - the best advice I could give is if evilBay offer's that format
hang on 'til the last minute, then bid. Not much else I can suggest.

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
Senate

Post by Senate »

Didn't the auctions on eBay used to be extended when a bid was placed in the last seconds...
I think I remeber that from the old time, but today's system suits me.
when you know how to perform a "last second bid", you're the man! :)
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

Chris,

The auctions are not extended in the last second. If you fail to bid by Auction Ends time - you lose. E-Snipe and a few other sniping programs allow you to place a maximum bid and it bids for you at the end of the auction. It will automatically bid for you at however many seconds prior to close of auction you select. It then sends you an e-mail stating whether you won or whether your bid was not high enough. What happens to make folks think the auction was extended is that many folks now use sniping programs and there is a flurry of activity at the last 10 seconds before close of auction and the E-Bay program takes time to sort everything out before posting a winning bid. Hope this helps.

How's the weather up there right about now? How 'bout them Sox??
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder: