Durability of FRN handles over time?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anagarika

Re: Durability of FRN handles over time?

Post by anagarika »

Ken is right. An used FRN feels used. I have an older E4 that while grippy, doesn't have that 'sharp' feel.

Demoncase,
I'm guessing the volcano texture used and new is less noticeable than the bidirectional. Anyone can confirm? My Salt is quite new so I can't really say.
Chris :spyder:
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

In the end there will be Cockroaches and FRN.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

In the end there will be Cockroaches and FRN.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The cockroaches will be eaten. The FRN won't.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My oldest Delica is a G2 steel thin clip one. Now i don't (for obvious reasons) have a unused one of the same vintage to compare with but as far as i can feel there is no difference to speak of. Of course it feels different from a current Delica due to the different pattern, but not noticeably worn.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

anagarika wrote:Ken is right. An used FRN feels used. I have an older E4 that while grippy, doesn't have that 'sharp' feel.

Demoncase,
I'm guessing the volcano texture used and new is less noticeable than the bidirectional. Anyone can confirm? My Salt is quite new so I can't really say.
Yep- that's my entirely subjective take on it with my soft office-workers hands :)

I haven't (ab)used a bi-directional FRN for long enough yet to notice a difference or reduction in grip.....I expect someone like Surfgringo, who uses their knives pretty much totally in the abrasive-laden seaside environment, is going to be the first one to notice a reduction in grip if any occurs.

But (attempting logic here): If the FRN material formula for Volcano grip and Bidirectional is the same, then I'd expect the Bidirectional to have a less noticeable reduction in grip as the 'blocks' that make up the Bidirectional pattern are much thicker and more aggressive than the Volcano.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

demoncase wrote:
anagarika wrote:Ken is right. An used FRN feels used. I have an older E4 that while grippy, doesn't have that 'sharp' feel.

Demoncase,
Yep- that's my entirely subjective take on it with my soft office-workers hands :)

I haven't (ab)used a bi-directional FRN for long enough yet to notice a difference or reduction in grip.....I expect someone like Surfgringo, who uses their knives pretty much totally in the abrasive-laden seaside environment, is going to be the first one to notice a reduction in grip if any occurs.

But (attempting logic here): If the FRN material formula for Volcano grip and Bidirectional is the same, then I'd expect the Bidirectional to have a less noticeable reduction in grip as the 'blocks' that make up the Bidirectional pattern are much thicker and more aggressive than the Volcano.
Let me try to clarify a bit.
I was referring to the surface texture as opposed to the grip. All new Seki FRN has that 'sandy' feel to the surface which:
- on my older Superblue Endura, it feels smooth already although this doesn't change the grippiness (sp?) of the built in bidirectional teeth. The new VG10 Endura FRN has the surface still 'sandy' on top of the bidirectional teeth, in fact whole FRN surface. My ZDP which is newer than SB but older than VG10 has lost the 'sandy' feeling although not as smooth as SB. So I agree with Ken (he has lots of Delicas). There's no reduction of grippiness which is why this FRN with teeth is superior to G10 that relies on surface textures.
- on my 'carried a bit' Volcano Atlantic Salt feels that it retains the 'sandy' feel longer.
I haven't had the Salt long enough to know though, that's why I asked if Volcano pattern somehow retains the surface sandy feel better because of the dimples (?) assuming the material is same.

My hand is also soft office hand :)

Hopefully Lance chime in. His use is definitely much harder :cool:
Chris :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've got a much-loved Delica from early 1990s and it has seen loads of hard use. Nary a ding or scratch on the FRN. The stuff wears better than the steel, it seems...

TedP