Good Universally Legal Self Defense Items? Do they exist?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Good Universally Legal Self Defense Items? Do they exist?

Post by Doc Dan »

There is no universally legal means of self defense. Stupid, I know. Here, firearms (even ammunition!), tazers, stun guns, etc. can mean a death sentence and certainly will mean a long prison term. Knives are legal unless a police officer decides he wants to make it illegal, then it is. However, switch blades are illegal, and so is any knife with a sharpened double edge or a swedge that could be sharpened. Canes are legal, though. ASP type batons are ignored, often, but I do not know how they are officially looked at.

You can figure any nation that was influenced by long occupation by the British are going to have negative views of resistance to evil. The serfs might rebel against the crown, and all that. It still lingers. Other nations that have not been colonized do not have such restrictions.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc, and others, what about these "Hard Knuckle Gloves" I have seen for sale? They are leather or heavy grade nylon gloves that motorcyclists and military and police and others wear, for sale at different price/quality ranges, that have hard plastic or fiberglass knuckles, and if someone attacks you, it beefs and boosts up your punch. Do you think those are a good emergency self defense item to have?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

A dog is probably the most legal. Maybe pepper spray in most places I'm likely to go.

I think the politicians have created this situation. In other words they value protecting the criminals more than protecting the law abiding. (You can take your own guess as to why they would do this.) So personally I would move to an area where the laws are more favorable but not everyone is free to do that.

As much as possible be careful in where you go and when. Find a place to go that is less questionable, park in places with more light, whatever. And always be aware of your surroundings. A person cannot attack you or rob you if they can't get close to you.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

As for home defense or other wise , I'd rather be alive in court than dead. Go for whatever you are comfortable with. For me it's a short barrel 20 gage pump at home and a pocket 380 and Spyderco Civilian when I'm in some questionable parts of my city. Oh, I forgot get a impact weapon like a Scott Foster cable blackjack they are awesome and drop in your pocket.
"No matter where you go, there you are"