Ideal Knife - Double Ladybug end to end?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bushminer

Ideal Knife - Double Ladybug end to end?

Post by Bushminer »

For years I have had a H1 PE Ladybug for EDC and a couple of SE ones floating around the garden. The idea of one each end to end giving me the choice in a 4+" thing for my paw size has always seemed like a good idea.

Tried a Hawkbill Ladybug in the jungle (Malaysia) and it seems even better than an SE. A parang is much better but you can get the meter from jungle to clear area (or clear area to jungle) with a pocket tool a lot easier than with a PE. While unlikely not to have a parang (and someone to use it) I prefer to be capable of moving on my own.
Bushminer

Re: Ideal Knife - Double Ladybug end to end?

Post by Bushminer »

Edited to add attack on SE, PE and Hawkbill with carborundum to round the edge off the sabre grind is quick,easy and improves abusive slashing and hacking a lot (especially with thick plastic) while still retaining most of the sabre ground stiffness advantage.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm not sure I know what you're saying.

The Dragonfly gives almost a full hand (3.5 finger grip) and has the same edge length as the Ladybug.

You can put a small half inch lanyard on the end of a ladybug so that you can hold onto it with your whole hand. I feel much more comfortable with a small loop and a knot that allows me to stop it from slipping with my pinky. You can make the loop a little larger and put the loop around your pinky and it will allow you to let go of the knife (and be careful) and do things with your hand while the knife dangles.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bushminer

Post by Bushminer »

"You can put a small half inch lanyard on the end of a ladybug so that you can hold onto it with your whole hand"

Yup, do that (bigger paw so need a bit over an inch) and that's OK although I have just ordered a Dragonfly Salt to try. The main thing is SE/PE and both have advantages so um/aw. Hawkbill is much better for slash (think 1/2" stalk) so the combination is attractive as I want both. That would finish up close to the weight of a Dragonfly.

For the jungle no issues about blade length and for pure slash the best appears to be a luger handle with a straight 12" blade. The normal parang is a multipurpose tool basicaly about a flintlock pistol handle 10 - 18" blade with the tip for digging, middle for slashing and the inner bit for fine work
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would like a Spyderco Lady Bug in H1 steel with a 3.5 inch blade length or 4 inch blade length, serrated-edged.

They could call her the "Giant Lady Bug" or "Queen Bug".
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They already make that knife. It is called a Pacific Salt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why would anyone want to use a Lady Bug as a hard use knife to slash in the jungle? That little knife is too light to take much of such abuse. Spyderco makes knives much better suited for pocket carry and still with enough blade for serious work.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050