Spyderco prybar

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Spyderco prybar

Post by toomzz »

Hi forum,

Spyderco is about knives and sharpeners I know, but I was wondering what you think of a Spyderco prybar? I mean such a 2 to 4 inch prybar made of Ti or some tough toolsteel or damast whether or not suitable to put on your keychain. Nicely engraved or stamped Spyder-logo in it. I can go on summing up all my preferences, but what are yours?

There are a lot differents models that goes around already, so it has to have so unique 'spyder-ish' features

Cheers,
Tom
The Deacon

Re: Spyderco prybar

Post by The Deacon »

I've never been able to understand the appeal of "micro" prybars. The only time I ever felt the need to carry a prybar was when my workplace was located in a 90 year old building with elevators last updated in the 1930's that broke down occasionally. My placebo of choice was a $6, foot long, Stanley Pry Baby. Even it would probably have been too small to do much good for it's intended purpose, but it did help me open a couple co-workers desks for them when they lost their key. Don't think an iddy-bitty 4" long prybar would have inspired the same level of confidence, even if made by Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think the Szabohawk has a pry wedge at the end of the handle?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use the pry bar/screwdriver on my multi tool enough that it's a big reason I carry this particular multi tool (this bit is made double thick and is intended to be used as a prying tool). I don't think I'd bother with a stand alone pry bar, I like my keys to be as minimal as possible and I wouldn't carry it loose in my pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Splice

Post by Splice »

I have a mini pry bar that I got at a local hardware store for $2. Trust me, you don't need to spend more than that on one. I use that sucker a few times a week for any number of things: opening bottles, popping lids off things, as a screwdriver, as a leverage point, as a scraper, etc.

Can't say this is an area where titanium or super steel would be needed
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I would purchase
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I would buy one. I often need a small pry/ scrape/ poking tool for work and have not found one I like yet. The lynch northwest one would be great but it's never in stock to buy.
araneae

Post by araneae »

There are a zillion on the market already, most of which are insanely expensive IMO. The cheap and basic Widgy bar is about the only one I would consider.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I've got a Gerber Shard on my keychain. $5. I only really use it as a bottle opener. Prying usually requires leverage which is hard to come by on something that fits in your pocket.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'd echo CountyComm's Widgy bars. I have a two-inch version on my keychain. Its use is limited. Purchase and leverage are tough to find, but at least I can pop a paint-can lid.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have a fixed blade Ka-bar that makes a wonderful pry bar.
Using a Spydie to pry with kind of makes me cringe.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yeah I personally carry one of the County Comm widgy pry bars as well, mainly for its size and simplicity. I like the fact that it doesn't have any bit driver or bottle opener cutouts, its just a plain (mini) pry bar. I really only carry it for peace of mind, knowing I don't have to pry with my knife, should I need to pry something open. I find myself using the pry bar mostly for popping the safety off of Bic lighters or opening split rings.
- Nick :bug-red
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

If Spyderco collaborated with the wise men company, that would be awesome. They make a tool called The Wise Guy. I love it.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

Tangent! Since we are going there, I would hope Spyderco might first make a utility knife that takes those trapizoidal carpet cutter blades. Most of the ones I have fall apart after a few uses. Maybe Spyderco could also make some special blades for them, too (H1, S30V, etc.). Bright FRN and GITD G10 handle offerings. Dodo XL style handle would be nice. Where to put the spydie hole? Phantom lock!!! One can dream, right?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I could see one with a massive pivot and Spydie-hole opener. Even if it was a friction folder that would be pretty slick for the watch pocket. They could even build in a bottle opener...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have a small one on my key chain made by Steve Rice (STR) on Blade Forums. :cool:
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Love my Atwood tools ! His and many other makers are insanely hard to get and command top dollar, so someone must like them . Multi function like pry, bottle opener, screwdriver, wire stripper or perhaps even a line / seatbelt cutter . One can get a lot of function in a small package that even goes into non permissive environments would be great .

Put a Spyder on it and some Spyderco ergonomics to make it unique .

I'm a LT on a Truck co. Our tools are basically two kinds, cutting and prying , they kind of complement each other.
Spyderco makes pocket sized cutting tools already ......
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I used to carry one attached to my dragonfly. I never ended up using it, very limited use IMO but they do look cool.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Willamette wrote:Tangent! Since we are going there, I would hope Spyderco might first make a utility knife that takes those trapizoidal carpet cutter blades. Most of the ones I have fall apart after a few uses. Maybe Spyderco could also make some special blades for them, too (H1, S30V, etc.). Bright FRN and GITD G10 handle offerings. Dodo XL style handle would be nice. Where to put the spydie hole? Phantom lock!!! One can dream, right?
I'm a little curious here. Which do you suppose will sell better, hundred dollar holders for ten cent blades or thirty dollar apiece disposable blades?

I've used the same utility blade folders for years at a time, and only a couple have failed in use (and they were cheap gimmicky ones). Even the good ones are designed to be disposable. That's why they're inexpensive. Not much point in using super steels in blades that you're going to throw away as soon as they get dull, and if you're going to sharpen them, why settle for 1" of straight edge? As much as I'd like Maxamet blades for my DeWalt utility knife, I just don't see a commercially viable product there.

I'm a gear junky/maniac, and I carry several keychain prytools all the time. The one that sees the most use is a simple $3 Enders piece, 3" long, that opens cans, pulls small nails, pries loose trim boards, tucks in carpet edges, scrapes gunk out of corners and a does a host of other small jobs on a daily basis. Titanium and super steels on prying tools are there just to part fools from their money. But maybe Spyderco can start making keychain tools out of the leftover sheets of steel after blades are cut out. The ergonomics and function might suck, but knowing it came from between two Spyderco blades would be pretty cool.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I carry a Gerber Shard on my key ring. It keeps me from using my knives as a screwdriver or prybar, haven't broken a tip on one of my knives since I started carrying it. I would buy a similar tool from spyderco if they made one. They could make them out of one of their tool steels so you could get a nice patina going, I'd like damascus too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal