1 Week Dragonfly Challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShaneInDenver

Re: 1 Week Dragonfly Challenge

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I work in an office, so typically my EDC just sits in my pocket until I overhear that someone needs to cut something. Naturally scissors just wont do, so I always lend out whatever pocket knife I have on me. My typical day usually doesn't involve much cutting otherwise.

Today I needed to open some snacks and using the pull tab is so archaic. Thankfully I had my new Dragonfly on me!

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Vivi wrote:What do I have to gain by carrying it for a week?
Absolutely nothing other than being able to say you made it through a whole week of using a DF exclusively. At this point I won't be able to honestly say that I carried mine for the entire week. I had my G10 DF in my pocket earlier today but switched it out for my Mantra a few minutes ago. I guess I enjoy variety too much to be restricted to one style of knife for very long. Call me a rebel! :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:What do I have to gain by carrying it for a week?
Nothing, if you don't like it. Don't carry it. But it would just prove how useful and tough it is. I am proving that to myself, anyway. I prefer 3" blades, but this is for fun and Dfly fans, or people who may be considering one. I just got a Mantra and Sage5, and modded a Delica to clip point, but I'm still going the 3 more days.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Day 2: So cold...not sure if I'm gonna make it...no rescue in sight...haha nooo! Love this little guy. Opened the mail, a bag of dog food, trimmed my nails, and even cut my steak! Not necessarily in that order. I needed a chef knife to cut my salad, but other than that I haven't missed having a bigger blade, and I have consistently picked my Military in the "if you could only keep one" discussion. It's practically weightless, and small enough that I don't even bother taking it out for class where I'll surely never need it, yet who knows what UNH would make of it. :rolleyes:
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is a great thread. I really want to get a Dragonfly, it is going to be my next knife. I love hearing about what everyone does with theirs.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have been carrying one or another of my DF's for the last 4 days. No sweat. I carry them regularly. I have yet to need a big knife to drive away hordes of terrorists or zombies.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Its been a little odd not carrying a larger knife, but I use a DF2 frequently because I stash them all over my life... In coat pockets, bags, console, even bath robe. They are the exact definition of a little big knife to me, and using one exclusively has been a pleasure.

elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only hope there will be a conclusion eventualy.Is the Dfly2 the perfect " all-I-need " urban carry folder ? For me it's between the Dfly2 and the Delica.

Marius
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the DF and do not want to be without one. But, push come to shove, I prefer the Delica. It is my favorite knife that Spyderco makes. I just wish they would make 1] a Delica in foliage green G10, again, and 2] one in nishijin glass fiber.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:I have a Dragonfly but the handle isn't very comfortable and the blade length leaves something to be desired for certain tasks. What do I have to gain by carrying it for a week?
A new perspective that you may have been wrong about points 1 and 2?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I carry a DFly almost every day I'm at work and in a suit - and have for almost a decade. Nothing balances the weight, thinness, and cutting power of a DFly2. Pound-for-pound, my favorite Spydie model of all time. I've added three new ones since this pic...

TedP

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I might have used the top blade today too. ;)

- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
Vivi wrote:I have a Dragonfly but the handle isn't very comfortable and the blade length leaves something to be desired for certain tasks. What do I have to gain by carrying it for a week?
A new perspective isn't going to change the ergonomics of a dragonfly or let it half a cantaloupe in one slice :rolleyes:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:...the ergonomics of a dragonfly or let it half a cantaloupe in one slice :rolleyes:
I find the ergonomics to be impressive for such a small knife but I don't have gorilla hands either. I also can't slice a cantaloupe in half in one slice with my Manix 2, PM2, or GB nor do I care to. That's why I have kitchen knives.

The Dragonfly obviously can't handle every cutting situation but they certainly can do a lot of things well. The Manbugs, Ladybugs, and Jesters can't cut a cantaloupe well either yet they're very popular. You've been around long enough that I'm sure you know that the one of the beautiful things about Spyderco is they make something for everyone. If the Dragonfly isn't your cup of tea then no big deal just use something that you like. If Jazz and other folks want to use only a Dragonfly for a week then more power to them. No need to rain on anyone's parade.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
hom76

Post by hom76 »

I have been carrying Dragonfly all the time. It is surely my all-time favorite EDC knife. Today I am using this one.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice looking knife, hom76.

Vivi, you'd be surprised what I can do with a knife. If you're not cutting food a lot, then a Dfly can handle most of your needs. It's been proven. We're having fun.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
A new perspective isn't going to change the ergonomics of a dragonfly or let it half a cantaloupe in one slice :rolleyes:
Please notice I said "may"
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, today I used it hard on purpose. Cut heavy duty cardboard. Made way more cuts than needed. That knife stayed comfortable no matter what, and it's so small. I'm amazed! Cut up plastic from 20 liter pail lid. Used it in paring knife grip to carve up some other small plastic clips. Felt great. I'm right impressed with Sal's brilliant design here. I cut the fob off out of curiosity before I did the heavy cutting. Still felt secure, thanks to that cup in the handle. Not sure what else I can add. Great knife, and very tough. Glad I'm finally getting more aquatinted with it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm convinced. I just have to decide on which model.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cbfrank, you can't go wrong whichever you choose. Most excellent backup knife that is also a most excellent main blade, if that's the size you like. Tomorrow's my last day for the challenge. Gonna touch up the edge and kick its butt.
- best wishes, Jazz.