Which Millie to put to use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akaAK

Which Millie to put to use

Post by akaAK »

Just wondering what the forum has to say about putting one of my hardly used millies to work. I have used a CE Millie for a lot of tasks around the house, garden and yard. It is just about perfect for my needs even though CE's are generally frowned upon here. That one is not going to change but I have a question about which one of my other millies you would put to work if you were in my shoes.

S90V CF Millie, bought new but had a stripped backspacer screw and a slightly damaged pivot screw.
Cruwear Millie, like new carried but not really used, perfect
Orange S30V Millie, steel is perfectly adequate but doesn't bring much other than a great looking set of orange scales
KW's 204 Millie, waiting on this one to arrive with my M4 Para, never used this steel before
SE 440V Millie, just got this one recently. New in box, never used this steel but not sure if the SE duplicates the function of the CE millie I already use.

My cutting needs are relatively light for the most part and the millie is mostly overkill as I can get by with a Delica for the most part. The millie will be carried with a second smaller knife as it will mostly be used around the house and carrying multiple knives is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in the privacy of your own home. It will go into my carry rotation which changes occasionally (knives get moved in and out depending on which ones get used or not)

So which one (only one) would you put into the carry rotation?
VashHash

Re: Which Millie to put to use

Post by VashHash »

I'd go with S90V. It's one of my favorite millies that I own.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

All of them?! I know, you said only one.

Do you have any experience with steels in the Cruwear category? It's the outlier among all the ones you listed...low carbide, non-stainless, high toughness. If you haven't used steels like the before it'd be fun to learn how it performs. Definitely sharpens and cuts differently than the high vanadium steels.

Yep, my vote is Cruwear.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

VashHash - that was my initial preference as there are some minor flaws (makes using it easier like that first scratch on a new car) and I am a big fan of S90V having used it on other platforms. Carbon Fiber is always nice as well

ejames13 - not cruwear but I have been trying out other non-stainless steels recently (M4, HAP40, K390). So far corrosion hasn't been much of an issue as my uses are relatively light and I try to take care of my tools. I have been happy with the ease of sharpening of the limited non-stainless steels I have been using. those grey scales are very nice as well.

also thanks for getting the "all of them" out of the way quick, I knew it was coming
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Easy! Use the Cruwear, sell the rest and buy a Nirvana :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Out of the one listed, the Cruwear is my favorite, like mine so much I invested in some real nice customs scales for it which really put it over the top. Maybe sell a couple of the others and grab a 52100 while they are still available, very nice blade with some grippy CF. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I say 204P, since you say you have never used 204P before. Experience is invaluable.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Id go with the Cruwear!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Johniie1801 and DM11 - I thought the cruwear would be a popular choice

Farnorthdan - I had the opportunity to grab a 52100 but in the end didn't think the lack of corrosion resistance was a good choice for me. also have the S90V with Carbon Fiber to satisfy that itch. I have actually been thinking about selling some of my rarely used ones off but haven't come to terms with it yet. lol. I saw the pics of your custom scales, top notch.

Brock O Lee - that was the main reason I picked it up. Not a huge fan of the green grips but can get over that for what should be a good performing steel. If I ever get it. it has been sitting at customs since the 15th with my M4 Para. the waiting continues
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Cruwear is all you need
paladin

Post by paladin »

Another Cruwear vote...

Get a M390 or cts204p for comparison.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Use All if them
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Knives are made to be used and not just looked at
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I don't hesitate to use my knives. I am fortunate to have more knives then I will ever need. The military model is a fantastic design and begs to be put to work. I unfortunately don't have extensive cutting needs on a regular basis and my Delica 4 Zdp that I swapped into a black handle meets or exceeds 99% of my needs. JAfromMN you I believe will understand since you are one of the few here who use this configuration. My CE Millie is one of my most used as it has handled garden and yard through many landscaping and garden maintenance projects. It will stay out in my rotation. This is about 20 knives which cover every situation I come into. This group has high to low, small to large, upscale to utilitarian, specific to general. Along with lock and steel variation.

I have many that I can and do carry but the rotation is hard to break and this number is the upper limit for easy access.

I'm looking for help adding one. I know, first world problems but many here will sympathize with the eternal struggles of a knife nut.

Cruwear is in the lead so far.

My
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I dont have the cruwear version but i do have a couple of others. I'd go for 204P, havnt been able to leave it at home since I got it.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

CE Military S30V
PE Manix XL S90V
PE Para2 Elmax
PE Para2 S30V
PE Para1 S30V
PE manix 2 154cm
CE Manix LW BD1
CE Stretch 2 VG10
PE Stretch 2 Hap40
PE Pacific salt
PE Yojimbo 2 S30V
PE caly zdp189
PE Forum Native S90V
PE Native s35v
CE SS D4 Vg 10
SE D4 Zdp189
PE D4 hap40
PE D4 vg10 FFG
SE Tasman
PE Cat 440c
SE Dfly Salt
PE Dfly G10 vg10
PE Air m4
PE Chapparral S30v

I stand corrected 24 not including car, work bag, keychain, garage, kitchen. You can see that new knives spend some time out when I initially get them. I haven't bought many lately. Just some background info. I will pull something out if I think of it or see a discussion about it on here but not so frequently. Try to stop that. I have plans to eventually work out a reasonable storage solution but that is on the back burner for now.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Gingerninja - Mine is sitting in customs which means a sure financial punishment. It will spend time out when it arrives by default. Not only a new steel but the CSI improvements which will be new to me as well. Not a fan of dark green. Wish it was foliage green.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

akaAK wrote:Just wondering what the forum has to say about putting one of my hardly used millies to work. I have used a CE Millie for a lot of tasks around the house, garden and yard. It is just about perfect for my needs even though CE's are generally frowned upon here. That one is not going to change but I have a question about which one of my other millies you would put to work if you were in my shoes.

S90V CF Millie, bought new but had a stripped backspacer screw and a slightly damaged pivot screw.
Orange S30V Millie, steel is perfectly adequate but doesn't bring much other than a great looking set of orange scales
KW's 204 Millie, waiting on this one to arrive with my M4 Para, never used this steel before
SE 440V Millie, just got this one recently. New in box, never used this steel but not sure if the SE duplicates the function of the CE millie I already use.

My cutting needs are relatively light for the most part and the millie is mostly overkill as I can get by with a Delica for the most part. The millie will be carried with a second smaller knife as it will mostly be used around the house and carrying multiple knives is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in the privacy of your own home. It will go into my carry rotation which changes occasionally (knives get moved in and out depending on which ones get used or not)

Just not too long ago I would have undoubtedly said cruwear. Now I'd say 204p since using M390 and finding it very, very good for my folding knife tasks. But then I reread your post. You say that a CE is almost perfect for your tasks. Since you know what your tasks are and what you like, I'd call up spyderco and ask if they could grind you some serrations in the cruwear knife to make it a CE. If they won't do it, then I'd find a very good, very reputable knife modifier and have them grind you some serrations and put some new scales on it and make it yours, for you and no one else but you. Then use it. A lot. And when you get old and gray pass that knife to your grandson while you're on a camping trip and after eating some smores and telling him some stories and teaching him the best you can about how to be a man.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
WCC

Post by WCC »

akaAK wrote:Just wondering what the forum has to say about putting one of my hardly used millies to work. I have used a CE Millie for a lot of tasks around the house, garden and yard. It is just about perfect for my needs even though CE's are generally frowned upon here. That one is not going to change but I have a question about which one of my other millies you would put to work if you were in my shoes.

Personally I would go with the SE 440V. I love the steel but love SE even more.

PS. If you don't like the 440V drop me a note and I'll buy it from you. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings "akaAK">> actually the Military model is one that I actually like in combo edge. I've owned one in the past and I would add the Endura to that list of Spyders that I like in the Combo Edge version. Yeah there are a lot of guys who turn their noses up at Combo Edges but most of them hate serrations period. Combo Edges can be extremely handy if you're cutting a lot of rope and cordage. Oh well we all have our likes and dislikes.

But as much of a fan as I am with Spyderedged folders and Spyderedged fixed blades there are some Spyders that I think can be great tools in the Combo Edge variant. It has to have a blade over 3.5 inches long to do it justice in my humble opinion. Blade length over 3.5 inches gives the blade a lot of advantages IMO.

The Military models you have listed are ones I mostly like>> I deeply regret trading my full Spyderedged 440V Military model because 440V has over the years become one of my favorite blade steels for Spyderedged folders. The S90V Millie is a great one too. I personally like the M390 Military model which has been one of my main EDC folders for over a year now. And what I would give for a C-60 Ayoob model with that M390 blade steel.

I've yet to try out the Cruwear version but I've heard great things about it. Now one of my favorite Military models is my XHP model and I very much would like to see an XHP Military in full Spyderedge. Something in my gut tells me that XHP would even be better than 440V in Spyderedge. For your outdoor lawn and landscaping work I would actually recommend trying an H-1 Spyderhawk for those cutting chores. I find that large Hawkbills have some advantages over conventional blades doing lawn and landscaping work .Glad you launched this thread because the Military model is one of the most dependable and versatile Spyderco models I've ever owned and used. Especially in Spyderedge>> A Sprint Run at least is much overdue IMO.