Leather strop....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

Leather strop....

Post by DrtyHarry »

Quick question....is there a leather strop that is better than another? Not looking to sharpen a straight edge razor, does it matter what kind? I see a few on eBay. Lastly, what is the best way to use one? Thanks!

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Fallen

Re: Leather strop....

Post by Fallen »

I think that if you're using compounds, then the type of leather isn't too important as what is being used to strop the blade is the compound itself, but if you're using bare leather, then something like latigo would be good.
WCC

Post by WCC »

Personally, I've just used denim pants, often the pair I have on. :) Just a few strops after using the sharp maker - my blades get scary sharp with that combo.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Unfortunately, there's no way to give a simple answer here. Strops and stropping compounds do vary in quality. You can make your own for not a lot of cost. I believe kangaroo leather is supposed to be the most preferred.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I use a leather strop quite a bit particularly when I whittle. I have found that stiff vegetable tanned leather and Dialux Vert (green) work very well. I buy leather form a local supplier and cut it to the size I want and don't bother attaching it to anything. If you cut it long enough as it glazes you can fold it on itself and rub it together to clean it or just use a nail brush. If you weren't so far away I'd send you a piece. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Youtube is your friend here. I found old Gavko and Jdavis882 videos helpful in getting started, among many others (and some good posts on this board).

Like others mentioned, they are easy to make. Stropman.com and Knivesplus sell good ones if you prefer to buy, and are often recommended.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
FK

Post by FK »

I like a thin hard leather, use very light pressure when stropping.
Most AlO or diamond sprays work fine.

These two items will minimize the classic rounding or convex discussions on the downfalls of stropping.

Regards,
FK
JT

Post by JT »

Horse hide all the way, if you are going to make your own.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

WCC wrote:Personally, I've just used denim pants, often the pair I have on. :) Just a few strops after using the sharp maker - my blades get scary sharp with that combo.
Also been doing that for years, works ok. I am leatherworker so I know about leather and quality of the leather matters (in holding the compound). Stick a strip of vegatable tanned cowhide on a piece of (straight) wood, skin up, flesh down. Sand the skinside rough (till it becomes suede) and you have a perfect strop loaded with your favorite compound.

The second variant I use is a leather stropping wheel. Tormek makes that stuff, as well a polishing compound. A quick pass per edgeside along the wheel won't harm the heat treatment. I don't know if Tormek is available in the US. Stropping works better on non-stainless steels. M4, superblue and Hap40 get evilish sharp stropping.... :rolleyes:

cheers,
Tom