MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
El Gato

Re: MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

Post by El Gato »

MAD777 wrote:So, considering this is a non-stainless steel, should we force patina (boil it in vinegar, etc.) from the get-go? What's the consensus?
I will treat mine, as I do all of my Mules prior to attaching the Halpern G-10 handle scales, with a good application of Frog Lube.
For me at least, this prevents any patina from forming and protects my Mule from corrosion in use. I do not mind patina, but I use the Frog Lube treatment just to keep my Mules looking fairly new and clean.

Just a matter of personal preference but that's what I do.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

I've took mine. Someone knows what steel will be the #23?
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not sure what MT23 will be but there was talk of a CPM20CV Mule a while ago. I assume that one is still in the que. Not sure if it is MT23 or maybe still a while out but I missed the M390 and the 204P was skipped so the 20CV is one i am looking forward to.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Mine is all dressed up with nowhere to go. :) I am busy today pulling a motor from my jeep so I don't have time to reprofile it yet but hopefully I will sometime this weekend. Just taking a break and posting up a pic.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mine are at my house, but unfortunately I am not. :(
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
bearfacedkiller

I was pretty busy all day but i did cut up some fruit for my son and it did develop a light patina fairly quickly. Sorry I can't comment much on cutting performance yet. It came seriously sharp. I will say that for a steel that is hard to grind it came with a very smooth finish out of the box. Taichung is out of control. They did a great job with this one as far as the finish goes.
-Darby
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi Darby,

I'd like to ask, do you treat the blade with any particular type of CLP or similar against corrosion before attaching the scales? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Ordered at 9am Thursday & 2 were on my front deck early the next morning. Great service.

Bill Maier
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

QUICKSILVER wrote:Ordered at 9am Thursday & 2 were on my front deck early the next morning. Great service.

Bill Maier
Wow. Thats fast.
Ordered mine Thursday evening about 3:30 pm est.
Haven't got a shipping confirmation yet.
bearfacedkiller

Bloke wrote:Hi Darby,

I'd like to ask, do you treat the blade with any particular type of CLP or similar against corrosion before attaching the scales? :)
Usually just a wipe down with mineral oil before putting them on.

Interestingly this one did not come with a desiccant packet in the box like most of my non stainless spydies have lately. It smelled like it had wd40 or something similar on it so I just threw the scales on. I did wipe the blade off with some soap and water after putting the scales on and then cut up some strawberries and peaches with it and it did start to lightly stain.
-Darby
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Havnt gotten a mule since the PSF27 but this ones really interesting me. Anyone have a little review or opinion of the steel so far? thanks!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

NiallRiv wrote:Havnt gotten a mule since the PSF27 but this ones really interesting me. Anyone have a little review or opinion of the steel so far? thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71455

I think you will find the above link both useful and informative. :)
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71455

I think you will find the above link both useful and informative. :)[/quote]

Thanks buddy! :D :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Bloke wrote:Hi Darby,

Usually just a wipe down with mineral oil before putting them on.

Interestingly this one did not come with a desiccant packet in the box like most of my non stainless spydies have lately. It smelled like it had wd40 or something similar on it so I just threw the scales on. I did wipe the blade off with some soap and water after putting the scales on and then cut up some strawberries and peaches with it and it did start to lightly stain.
I too use mineral oil on food prep knifes.
I don't particularly like a patina, depending on the knife off course. I personally find the best way to avoid nasty surprises when removing detachable scales from a "user" and particularly carbon steel blades is Eezox. I've tried all sorts and Eezox works best for me, anyhow.

Hope I'm not OT? :)
Last edited by Bloke on Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I just bought two! I procrastinated till now over the $US45 minimum shipping fee. It really does take the edge off! Shipping is the same for one or two blades so two seemed logical.
Anyhow, looking forward to my first fixed blade Spyder! :)
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

Bloke wrote:I just bought two! I procrastinated till now over the $US45 minimum shipping fee. It really does take the edge off! Shipping is the same for one or two blades so two seemed logical.
Bingo, sell the other one to recoup.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ncmiked wrote:
Bloke wrote:I just bought two! I procrastinated till now over the $US45 minimum shipping fee. It really does take the edge off! Shipping is the same for one or two blades so two seemed logical.
Bingo, sell the other one to recoup.
Hi Ncmiked,
I wish, but I'm hopeless like that. I'll put a handle on one and play with it. Undoubtedly, one of my mates will like it and seeing I have two and he has none .......! I'll probably end up with a blade and a box of beer! Oh well, doesn't matter, doesn't matter! :)
Last edited by Bloke on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I like beer so that would seem a fair trade too me.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yeah, beer's good! :) I'm looking forward to this knife. When I was an apprentice I made a knife from a HSS parting tool blade. I remember whittling MS and brass bar with it. That was nearly 40 years ago and I can't remember what happened to it. This thing's probably harder again so it should be a very interesting knife.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Got one today. Anybody experimented with edge angles yet? Going to start with 30 degrees inclusive, do chores for awhile, then see how the edge looks.