Super Blue or HAP as a regular production option?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Super Blue or HAP as a regular production option?

Post by GarageBoy »

I really wish there was a regular production super blue model.
The sprints being sprints made a lot of knives end up in hoarders and collectors hands. Hence, the rarity and prices they demand. I sold mine off because it became too valuable to use, and for the $$$, I'd rather have something I'd can feel comfortable with

Here's to hoping it was a popular enough steel to stay in regular production
tvenuto

Re: Super Blue or HAP as a regular production option?

Post by tvenuto »

Unlikely. Low maintenance is the average user's bag. And there are more of them then us.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd have to agree with tvenuto, I think most end line users prefer stainless for EDC. I would definitely buy more SB pieces myself though, I absolutely love the stuff and dig patina.

If you could choose a couple production pieces which ones would like to see. I would love to see the Nilakka done in SB or maybe another run of the 3.5 Caly's.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'd like to see it, but as far as I know it's like they said above. I recommend you get your hands on some super blue and enjoy it :)
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

For anyone in a humid environment or whose sweat can cause corrosion to a great degree, these types of steels won't be popular... A lot of people live near water. I would like to see more options in the higher priced category, one where the average consumer likely won't be purchasing many products.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Didn't Sal recently say something vague about us likely seeing more hap40??
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Surfingringo wrote:Didn't Sal recently say something vague about us likely seeing more hap40??
I assumed he meant sprint. But I should know better than to assume!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Getting my hands on one seems easier said than done - everyone is either using theirs, or keeping them as collector pieces - the ones that do get sold are being sold at 2x their original street price

::sigh:: I guess I'll play with super blue in kitchen knife form
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So having owned and used both SB and now HAP40, I can tell you that there is no reason HAP40 can be a solid slab like ZDP189 and we can stop cladding it. Rust in the pivot is not going to be an issue. My Endura HAP40 looks no worse for wear than ZDP does. SuperBlue however is another beast altogether. That stuff Patinas faster than anything I have ever seen. So I would make my request for SOLID slab HAP40 with NO cladding if we get more of this awesome steel
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:So having owned and used both SB and now HAP40, I can tell you that there is no reason HAP40 can be a solid slab like ZDP189 and we can stop cladding it. Rust in the pivot is not going to be an issue. My Endura HAP40 looks no worse for wear than ZDP does. SuperBlue however is another beast altogether. That stuff Patinas faster than anything I have ever seen. So I would make my request for SOLID slab HAP40 with NO cladding if we get more of this awesome steel
I have the Delica and DF2 in HAP40 and I can say that I have not had ANY issues with corrosion with mine, and I live in a humid area. I would really enjoy seeing solid HAP40 join ZDP-189, or even replace it, if that's more feasible logistically than having both, on production models.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I would also be interested in a solid HAP40 blade (as long as it is a lefty friendly model). I have had my HAP40 Endura in my pocket on a daily basis for many months and have not noticed any patina. I am mostly using it as a work knife, rather than for food prep. Every once in a while I put a little oil on the blade as preventive medicine, and everything is still shiny. The stainless SUS410 cladding, however, is much softer and so it shows many more scratches. The large majority of those scratches disappear on the tougher, harder HAP40 portion of the blade.

HAP40 holds an edge super well and it sharpens like a dream.

Bring on the solid HAP40!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Is there a weakness you're trying to correct by wanting a solid hap40 blade? If the clad version is more corrosion resistant and tougher, what are the weaknesses you're trying to avoid? If anything, why not just stonewash the clad blades?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cujobob wrote:Is there a weakness you're trying to correct by wanting a solid hap40 blade? If the clad version is more corrosion resistant and tougher, what are the weaknesses you're trying to avoid? If anything, why not just stonewash the clad blades?
I think for many it is an aesthetic issue. Either they don't like the looks of the cladding or they like the way the entire blade will patina on a solid version. I'm not picky about looks but when the laminated Spydercos first came out there was some part of me that felt I preferred the looks of the solid blades. After buying and using some of the laminated blades though I am fine with them. They give me a chance to use some interesting non stainless steels without having to worry about corrosion in the pivot area. I like both just fine.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sprint

Kiwi4

Grey G10

Solid Super Blue since it's Moki just like my Calys

I'm in for one

Thanks
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Sprint

Kiwi4

Grey G10

I'm in for one

Thanks
Sign me up for one as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Based on what we know about both steels, it would seem fairly logical to see both SB and HAP in regular production. HAP may be closer to this reality simply because it isn't quite as rust-prone as the SB.

On a that note, I'd be pretty happy to see more LC 200N offered. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Kiwi4

Grey G10

I'm in for one

Thanks
Count me in as well. Probably for 2.

Although I still want cf and zdp on the kiwi 4.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Kiwi4

Grey G10

I'm in for one

Thanks
Unfortunately, no more Moki knives for a while, if ever. :(
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Moki is currently making the Kiwi4 and ZDP Caly3.5 and I believe possibly some of the fixed blades. I don't think that they are done making Spydies.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am all in for a Super Blue Kiwi 4, but I would be more in favor of a SUPER BLUE DELICA with a solid Super Blue blade. I like the one knife in Super Blue I have. Many say it is like 52100 and it may be. Ooo, a Super Blue Millie.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050