Which HAP 40 model??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Which HAP 40 model??

Post by twinboysdad »

Since having my "I really like FRN" revelation, I am rethinking skipping out on the HAP 40 run. I partially was protesting it being clad instead of solid. Now I have a choice between E4 and Manbug, and currently have one of neither. Which one and why?
Surfingringo

Re: Which HAP 40 model??

Post by Surfingringo »

Endura 4 for sure unless you need a keychain knife. I love the Dragonfly but it is the smallest frn model that still seems like a "real knife" to me. The ladybug and manbug have their uses (and certainly have plenty of fans) but they just feel a bit too "toy-like" for my taste. I think its more about the inability to get a full grip than anything else.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Endura.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting the Delica. I wish there was another run, since it was so popular. Get the Manbug. It's a wee workhorse.
Last edited by Jazz on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

oops, wrong thread. :o
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd get both if you can. But, if you're only going for one, I'd say the Endura would be my first pick over the Manbug. I love the Manbug, but there have been a few times I wished I had a larger knife. (FWIW, I'd also buy the Endura first because it seems like the Manbug sprints seem to linger a bit longer than the Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly sprints). Just my 0.02.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Definitely the Endura first as those are already done and gone, the Manbug is real nice too, it makes a great shirt pocket or coin pocket piece.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
simon711

Post by simon711 »

The delica is still available. You can get it on ebay.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

simon711 wrote:The delica is still available. You can get it on ebay.
You can also pick one up from BBS but $150 is pretty steep for a Delica ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
simon711

Post by simon711 »

Yeah, better off buying a Mantra at that price point. But if you really love the Delica...
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd grab the Endura if you really use knives a lot. Keychain knives are great backups and nice in front of sheeple, but HAP40 is such a good steel that it seems almost wasted in something as small as a keychain knife. If it was me I'd go with an E4 (I did) and enjoy the heck out of it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
harronek

Post by harronek »

My vote is for the Delica , but that's only because the Delica is my favourite model in the Spyderco range .
Hap40 is good stuff , and even though I've only had mine for a few weeks the steel has impressed me greatly .
No mater what you choose it won't be a mistake .

Ken
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Stretch is my preference but I'd say Endura. A tool steel deserves a frame that provides proper size and grip to do real work.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Making your choice more difficult: stretch.
BBS still has it.

I only have E4 though, and being Endura guy, I'd say go for it. Tried my friend's D'fly and found it too small even though my hand is medium small.
Chris :spyder:
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

anagarika wrote:Making your choice more difficult: stretch.
BBS still has it.

I only have E4 though, and being Endura guy, I'd say go for it. Tried my friend's D'fly and found it too small even though my hand is medium small.

And so does GPK at a very good price, same as when they came out!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Picked up the Endura HAP 40
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Good pick-up. I have the HAP40 Endura in my pocket every day, and you're going to like it.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:Picked up the Endura HAP 40
Congrats! I have the Delica(carrying today!) and DF2, and you won't regret your choice of steel. So far for me, it takes and holds a great edge and is really easy to maintain. I'd say if you can pick up any more of the HAP40 models you should do so. I wish I had some disposable income so I can pick up the rest of them. The fun part is that my local B&M has ALL of the rest of them that I don't have already.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Guess it's too late to matter now :)
I have always considered the Endura just a little too big, and hence stuck to Delicas. The Manbug on the other hand is just a little too small like someone else said.. I (also) think that the Dragonfly is right at the size limit (and i do own Endura, Delica, Dragonfly and Manbug so i am not assuming :) )
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Brock O Lee wrote:The Stretch is my preference but I'd say Endura. A tool steel deserves a frame that provides proper size and grip to do real work.
I'd say the Stretch also....Endura and Strech similar in length...on the plus side, Stretch not quire as popular ...not sure about other retailers but Knife center still has them in stock at 110$....BBS will probably have them longer at their premium price.

Oops ...didn't see you already pulled the trigger...well if ya like it ( and I'm sure you will ) grab a Stretch also....