thanks for the Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ronT2

Re: thanks for the Stretch

Post by ronT2 »

The Deacon wrote:Perhaps this mockup will help:
That with a wire pocket clip would work. :D
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think choils make sense on backlocks. Since most backlocks incorporate a kick into the blade tang to keep the blade from closing too far you are kind of forced to have some dead space. You might as well put a choil there. The Centofante3 and 4 does not have a kick and the edge length is maximized and that could be done with the Stretch as well. All other Spydie backlocks seem to incorporate the kick. I would be interested in a straight spine Stretch but would also LOVE to see a clip point Stretch with a blade like the Dyad. That would be amazing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sal,

Making it choil less will remove the only choil option onthe Seki FRN line. Will surely miss that.

My personal feeling is that the 'ugly' blade shape and higher price (compared to Endura) will drive online buyer to get Endura rather than Stretch.

Only when one able to hold in hand (and more importantly use it), the beauty of Stretch shines. I was lucky a BF member selling used but excellent condition to me, thus able to try out this model. In hand, it is better than Endura. Look is no longer ugly once having it & using it. ;)
Chris :spyder:
blee

Post by blee »

sal wrote: Hi Paul,

We might try it. Sales were not very brisk with the Stretch. We've been trying to figure out why as being between the Endura (which is now a large knife) and the Delica, we thought it would be better. The tentative conclusion reached was; the general market doesn't like finger-choils and prefers the straight spine.

I've considered designing a choil-less straight spine version as a test, probably in slab construction first? I did that with the Raven and the upcoming "Polestar". But there I just got rid of the finger-choil and left the blade the same.

sal
Hi Sal,

I got a Stretch recently because it was the only large HAP40 still available. Its odd shape with the blade hump made it not something I ever considered. I've come to like it very much, and like the hump as form following function. I like the choil too. As you said, it's a very good size, between the Delica and Endura, and I think the odd shape holds it back.

Bob
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

The beauty of knives is probably more "subjective" than other things, I like the curves. But perhaps the blade hump also helps reinforce the tip?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

blee wrote:
sal wrote: Hi Paul,

We might try it. Sales were not very brisk with the Stretch. We've been trying to figure out why as being between the Endura (which is now a large knife) and the Delica, we thought it would be better. The tentative conclusion reached was; the general market doesn't like finger-choils and prefers the straight spine.

I've considered designing a choil-less straight spine version as a test, probably in slab construction first? I did that with the Raven and the upcoming "Polestar". But there I just got rid of the finger-choil and left the blade the same.

sal
Hi Sal,

I got a Stretch recently because it was the only large HAP40 still available. Its odd shape with the blade hump made it not something I ever considered. I've come to like it very much, and like the hump as form following function. I like the choil too. As you said, it's a very good size, between the Delica and Endura, and I think the odd shape holds it back.

Bob
You said it much better. :spyder:
blee

Post by blee »

anagarika wrote: You said it much better. :spyder:
I think you are way too kind. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Blee,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
blee

Post by blee »

sal wrote:Hi Blee,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks, Sal!
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

I used to favor G10 over FRN, to the point of not buying knives because the came in FRN. Then I got several Stretches. They're almost my only knives that have FRN scales (Manix is the exception). Before it came out I was looking forward to the Stretch 2 with G10. Now I feel it's an OK knife but as hard as it is for me to say this, the Stretch 2 NEEDS FRN scales. Looking forward to a Stretch 2 in FRN! Once you get used to the different shape of the spine it's not a detriment. I for one would rather the Stretch keep its current blade shape.
10just

Post by 10just »

delphidoc wrote:I used to favor G10 over FRN, to the point of not buying knives because the came in FRN. Then I got several Stretches. They're almost my only knives that have FRN scales (Manix is the exception). Before it came out I was looking forward to the Stretch 2 with G10. Now I feel it's an OK knife but as hard as it is for me to say this, the Stretch 2 NEEDS FRN scales. Looking forward to a Stretch 2 in FRN! Once you get used to the different shape of the spine it's not a detriment. I for one would rather the Stretch keep its current blade shape.
I second that on both points. Got my Stretch today, love the FRN and love the blade shape.

the bi-directional pattern is awesome..
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

The Hap40 was my first and only stretch. I have to say I love the design. I find the Ergos superior to the Endura by far. I would love the brown G10 model, but the price is a little out of my comfort zone.

Keep up the great work and please don't discontinue the Stretch.
blee

Post by blee »

10just wrote:
delphidoc wrote: <snip> ... I for one would rather the Stretch keep its current blade shape.
I second that on both points. Got my Stretch today, love the FRN and love the blade shape.

the bi-directional pattern is awesome..
I favor the blade shape too. It makes the knife distinctive, and endearing.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My first ever Stretch arrived Tuesday. It's a beast! I bought the knife to use on medium game because I've always used a fixed blade. Of all the popular "folding hunter" knives I picked the Stretch specifically for the blade shape. It quite obviously has many loyal followers and receives excellent reviews. I'm duly impressed with the ZDP I received and can't fault it. The handle is large and well designed, FRN and choils rock and the knife feels robust enough to open a small to medium deer's brisket. On top of all that it has Mr Glesser's signature on the blade! What's not to like? I wouldn't change a thing! Full range of FRN handle colours would be pretty cool. Anyhow, I can't wait to give it a whirl.

I think the Stretch is possibly Spyderco's folder most suited to field dressing game and consequently probably not ideal EDC. I'd like to hear what other sportsmen have to say. We have plenty of Spyderco's to choose from for EDC. If the Stretch isn't the best seller it doesn't necessarily mean it's broken and needs fixing. Maybe more people EDC than hunt?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Endearing.... I like ke that ;)
bearfacedkiller

I have been hunting all my life and everyone I know uses a fixed blade to dress game including myself. I don't think I would ever use a folder on purpose for dressing game. I think that the market for folding game knives is small. I did once dress a deer with a Swiss Army knife because it was all I had. I wouldn't want to do it again. There are probably dried up pieces of goo still in there all these years later. If your Stretch is ZDP and you plan on getting elbows deep with it I would make sure to give it a thorough cleaning afterwards. You don't want a bunch of blood or goo messing with that ZDP.

I think that the Stretch is a terrific EDC. I think that it's odd looks are part of the problem and the other part is that the Para2 steals all the Stretch's sales.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

[quote="bearfacedkiller"] If your Stretch is ZDP and you plan on getting elbows deep with it I would make sure to give it a thorough cleaning afterwards. You don't want a bunch of blood or goo messing with that ZDP.

G'day Darby,

As a long time hunter (over 40yrs) who is yet to use a folder, I fully agree! I will however give the ZDP Stretch a whirl, if for no other reason than it would be a first. All said and done, I feel the knife is up to the job and doesn't need changing, :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

I think it will serve you well. Don't forget, we love pictures, even the bloody ones. :)
-Darby
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have been hunting all my life and everyone I know uses a fixed blade to dress game including myself. I don't think I would ever use a folder on purpose for dressing game. I think that the market for folding game knives is small. I did once dress a deer with a Swiss Army knife because it was all I had. I wouldn't want to do it again. There are probably dried up pieces of goo still in there all these years later. If your Stretch is ZDP and you plan on getting elbows deep with it I would make sure to give it a thorough cleaning afterwards. You don't want a bunch of blood or goo messing with that ZDP.

I think that the Stretch is a terrific EDC. I think that it's odd looks are part of the problem and the other part is that the Para2 steals all the Stretch's sales.
It was the same back when I use to hunt. Don't recall anyone every using a folder for field dressing and I never would have thought of using one. Buck Woodsman, Schrade SharpFinger, and a couple of Case fixed blades around that size were the most common. My favorite was a Buck Caper.

Today, if I wanted to take a Spyderco hunting, I'd take my Moran Drop Point. Otherwise, I'd probably carry that Buck for old time's sake or my Randall Bird & Trout for a bit of class.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

I was very pleased using my S110V Mule this year on a Muley doe. I don't own a Moran but if they ever did a sprint in another steel I would give it a try. I have a bunch of Mules which is the only reason I haven't given the Moran a try. They have been serving me very well as field knives. They basically have the same grip as the Stretch which for me is great.

-Darby