Is the Paramilitary 2's stop pin made from a different steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lawrence

Is the Paramilitary 2's stop pin made from a different steel?

Post by Lawrence »

I've noticed that the stop pin of the Paramilitary 2 corrodes more easily than the rest of the knife. Others have had this issue too. This is interesting, and I'm entertaining a few ideas as to why it happens. Perhaps the steel used is a different type that resists cracking from impact, but sacrifices corrosion resistance; or perhaps it is heat-treated differently and this allows it to rust somehow. It would be interesting to find out if anybody knows whether this is the case. Have Eric or Sal ever mentioned it in the design of the knife? Cheers. :)
Brock O Lee

Re: Is the Paramilitary 2's stop pin made from a different steel?

Post by Brock O Lee »

Yes I have noticed this too. I had to remove rust from a PM2 stop pin before, but all the other hardware was unaffected. My guess is different steel or heat treat.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

AFAIR the common material for the stop pin within the knife industry is hardened Grade 416 steel which sacrifices some corrosion resistance to a better machinability compared to other steels. It's a martensitic steel which is pretty strong and tough, the European norms would be 1.4005 and X12CrS13.
The screws of the Paramiltary most probably are made of some Grade 300 Series steel. This is a group of austenite steels which has a much better corrosion resistance compared to Grade 416 due to the much higher Chromium content.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't know what steel it is but usually stop pins are hardened and standoffs are not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?