HAP40 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by farnorthdan »

Jmotley wrote:Just letting people know that KnifeCenter has hap40 Delica up for pre order. May not mean much as I'm still waiting for my Endura I pre ordered in August! Argg
They've had there pre-order up for some time now, the one I watch is knifeworks, once they put their pre-order up you know the drop is real close.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

I've gotten two myself, one from National Knives, the other from New Graham. The handle color reminds more of a butterscotch than a burnt orange which is a-okay with me.
swigert

Post by swigert »

If you have a preorder at KC just cancel it and grab it at another retailer when it comes up.

Ive never not got a sprint I wanted when I'm vigilant at checking dealers.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I used mine for a meal prep and for cutting dinner.I cut potato, green onion, pork loin and bacon, cheese, nothing to crazy and I definitely have some patina forming, nothing like SB did but more than I have experienced m4 develop a patina.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

swigert wrote:I used mine for a meal prep and for cutting dinner.I cut potato, green onion, pork loin and bacon, cheese, nothing to crazy and I definitely have some patina forming, nothing like SB did but more than I have experienced m4 develop a patina.
Sounds good, I like some patina, does it look like it will rainbow or just turning dark ish? I'd love to see a picture if it's dark enough to pick up yet.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
swigert

Post by swigert »

farnorthdan wrote:
swigert wrote:I used mine for a meal prep and for cutting dinner.I cut potato, green onion, pork loin and bacon, cheese, nothing to crazy and I definitely have some patina forming, nothing like SB did but more than I have experienced m4 develop a patina.
Sounds good, I like some patina, does it look like it will rainbow or just turning dark ish? I'd love to see a picture if it's dark enough to pick up yet.
Heres a pic, I guess it just looks like difference in the HAP40 and the lamination steel but there is definitely a difference. The darkness difference in the pic is definitely the start of a patina.

Let me use if for about a week and ill throw a pic up next to my stretch in SB that has about a weeks worth of food prep total and there will be a massive difference still.

swigert

Post by swigert »

Heres a better pic, not great light but it actually showed the Patina thats just starting a little better....

swigert

Post by swigert »

Edit: Double Tap
Last edited by swigert on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Edit: Triple Tap
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Oh yea that is definately darkening up, look forward to seeing some more pics.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

animportant wrote: Hey Doug, did kc send you a shipping email prior to sending it? I preordered months ago, fingers crossed its at my door today. Should be arriving with a purple dragonfly too :)
Yes, they sent me a shipping notice with invoice and tracking link last Friday and the knife arrived Monday. I had pre-ordered it on 13 Jun 2015. They didn't call or email me beforehand though to make sure I still wanted it. Apparently they just shipped it then emailed me. But they had emailed me the day before because my debit card wasn't working and I had emailed them back letting them know I had updated the expiry date, etc, so they wouldn't have needed to verify that I still wanted it.

I'll try to post a pic soon. I think mine is the sharpest I've ever received new. I could totally shave my whole arm in two minutes, but my wife has told me to stop shaving my arms because the bare skin doesn't feel right :D The width of the exposed HAP40 band along the edge of the blade differs from one side to the other more than on my other four laminated Spydies, but this has zero effect on function, and this knife is going to be a user. Also it won't be as noticeable with HAP40 because I suspect it will stay shiny much more than, e.g., Super Blue and thus look more like the SUS410.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dupe post
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dam! Hit the quotes instead of the edit pencil again :o
Belasarius Jnr

Post by Belasarius Jnr »

What do you do when you've pre-ordered at a fav. vendor (KW) and the knife comes into stock at several other vendors?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Belasarius Jnr wrote:What do you do when you've pre-ordered at a fav. vendor (KW) and the knife comes into stock at several other vendors?

I'm just going to wait out my KW preorder. I'm guessing another batch is probably already on its way...
Going back to Caly.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Belasarius Jnr wrote:What do you do when you've pre-ordered at a fav. vendor (KW) and the knife comes into stock at several other vendors?
Cancel the original order!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

I did a cut test today on cardboard.Mines reprofiled to Spyderco's factory angle (guessing 11-12* per side), 40* microbevel finished on Syderco's medium ceramic rod. Easily sliced phone book paper, would somewhat push cut.

I got to 400 cuts before it was pretty ragged when trying to slice. That's pretty solid to me. Of course that is only one run. I plan to do a few more.

The steel reminded me of ZDP-189 When sharpening and felt very hard. It gets crazy sharp though, sorta reminds me of Cruwears edge taking ability? So far I like it alot.
animportant

Post by animportant »

My first Endura in time for Halloween :) :spyder:

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Snapped a quick phone shot --

swigert

Post by swigert »

That's a really nice lamination line on that side. Really even.