Schempp Bowie after 2 months of carry - pics and review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Schempp Bowie after 2 months of carry - pics and review

Post by bh49 »

Good review and special thank you for pictures.
I think that you sold me this knife. Beautiful blade and only 2.5 mm thick.
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...thanks for the awesome photos...What a beauty!...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's been another two weeks of carrying the Schempp Bowie, and the coloring of the bolsters seems to get more dramatic every day...

:bug-red-white
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Awesome! Mine definitely haven't changed that much but I haven't been carrying mine everyday...I try to rotate most of my knives through my EDC uses. Mine have gotten a little darker though, and there's a few character scratches also.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love how copper and brass both get a pearlescent look as they begin to patina with purple and blue hues.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

gbelleh wrote:It's been another two weeks of carrying the Schempp Bowie, and the coloring of the bolsters seems to get more dramatic every day...
I love how those bolsters are aging and am a fan of Ed's designs. Thanks for the great review. This might have to be my next knife purchase.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

gbelleh wrote:The whole current Schempp family. :D
Seeing them all together like this, you can sure see the family resemblance! I wonder what would happen if Ed tried to design a knife that didn't look like he designed it?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Great pic! So it looks as though the Navaja is the only Spydie he has designed that doesn't have a downward angled blade. I love that about his designs.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

This thread just confirms what an interesting (excellent) creation this blade is!

I'll admit the first photos I saw (catalog-type) did nothing for me. Once I started seeing user photos, though, the intrigue set in. Now this aging brass stuff? It gives it a ton of character... I'm hooked.

Love it, thanks for sharing.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Great thread, I almost missed it!

Love the comparison photos and the family grouping.
Mr. Schempps designs are brilliant!
Going back to Caly.
swigert

Post by swigert »

gbelleh wrote:It's been another two weeks of carrying the Schempp Bowie, and the coloring of the bolsters seems to get more dramatic every day...

You still carrying the Bowie? How's the patina on the bolsters?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I do still carry it regularly, though it has been sharing pocket time with a few others lately.

The bolster now has less of the purple, and is a more uniform blue. It seems to change a little almost every day.

Still one of my favorite EDC knives. :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

New Graham had this half off MSRP, so I ordered the last one. I blame you. :D
-Kyle

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You won't regret it!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote:New Graham had this half off MSRP, so I ordered the last one. I blame you. :D
It was nice of me to buy just one and leaving second for you. My intuition told me that you will not be able to resist the price, the look and 2.5 mm blade thickness :) :D and of cause this is gbelleh's fault. We have to blame somebody for spending money :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I also blame gbelleh and this thread (and Roman ;))! Got one inbound, and for even cheaper than you guys! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I also blame gbelleh and this thread (and Roman ;))! Got one inbound, and for even cheaper than you guys! :D
I understand blaming gbelleh, but why me.????????????????? :o :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Probably just for quantity :)
I received mine few days ago. Beautiful knife, especially the blade. After no so great experience with Navaja, I am glad to see easy to use lock. Unfortunately I have some issues with ergos. The knife is not as comfortable in my hand to compare with any of my knives, which I carry or carried before either I use choil or not. One of the strange thing that with no choil grip wire clip is bothering me. There were no such feelings with any of my Calys. And they have smaller handle. Hopefully this will change with time.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Mr Schempp, brass, negative blade angle, Taiwan, good reviews have all conspired to get me to order a Schempp Bowie as well :eek Looking forward to delivery :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

bh49 wrote:I understand blaming gbelleh, but why me.????????????????? :o :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Probably just for quantity :)
I received mine few days ago. Beautiful knife, especially the blade. After no so great experience with Navaja, I am glad to see easy to use lock. Unfortunately I have some issues with ergos. The knife is not as comfortable in my hand to compare with any of my knives, which I carry or carried before either I use choil or not. One of the strange thing that with no choil grip wire clip is bothering me. There were no such feelings with any of my Calys. And they have smaller handle. Hopefully this will change with time.
Well, everyone's hands are different. The ergos of the Bowie fit me perfectly. I hope it works out for you.

Dbcad, let us know how you like yours.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bh49 wrote:I received mine few days ago. Beautiful knife, especially the blade. After no so great experience with Navaja, I am glad to see easy to use lock. Unfortunately I have some issues with ergos. The knife is not as comfortable in my hand to compare with any of my knives, which I carry or carried before either I use choil or not. One of the strange thing that with no choil grip wire clip is bothering me. There were no such feelings with any of my Calys. And they have smaller handle. Hopefully this will change with time.
I have to agree with you. The knife is beautiful, well made, and the lock access is improved over the Navaja. I'm usually a big fan of the Schempp designs and love how they fit in my hand, but not this one. If I position my hand behind the double guard, my thumb rests nicely on the top, but the handle feels short and the long blade and brass guard out front make it feel extremely out of balance. If I choke up and put my index finger in the choil area ahead of the double guard, it feels much more balanced but then my thumb uncomfortably comes to a rest right on top of the point of the top guard and trying to position by thumb either ahead or behind the top point is very awkward.

Unfortunately, this one went right back into the box. :( I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not, but I likely won't be carrying it. I normally love Ed's designs and they typically fit my hand really well, but this one just doesn't work for me.
-Kyle