Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Razzle

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!!

Post by Razzle »

The 204p Millie is the one I'm after.
Matt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Razzle wrote:The 204p Millie is the one I'm after.
This doesn't really make sense. :confused:

So...for everyone else. Knifeworks just put this up on their Facebook page:

"Here is our 3rd new Exclusive!
To match our 204 Para2!
These three new runs will be released one at a time
starting later this year.
C36GGRP Military
CTS204P Steel Full Flat Ground
Dark Green G-10 Handles
All Silver hardware and Clip"

and

"Knifeworks is pleased to announce two of three new Spyderco Knifeworks Exclusives!
These will be released late 2015, early and mid 2016. So, its too early to call or email. But its official! More details to follow! We have been working for a couple years to bring back another one of our Exclusive Ti Military's in CF and S90V. And everyone has been after an M4 Para 2 forever! Ours will be CF!
Spyderco CF & S90V Ti Military
C36CFTIP
Peel Ply Carbon Fiber handle
Titanium Back Side lock with R.I.L. and steel insert.
Silver Clip and Silver hardware.
CPM S90V Full Flat Ground Plain Edge Blade.
1200 Piece Run
Spyderco CF & M4 Para2
C81CFM4P2
Carbon Fiber Handle with a silver clip and silver hardware
CPM M4 Full Flat ground Plain Edge Blade
1200 Piece Run"
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

JNewell wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:4 seems like a lot! Save some for the rest of us Eli!!! Yes I'll be getting one :)
Sorry guys... :o

But I'm still getting 4. :p :D
Odds are pretty good that KW will limit purchases to 2, as they have with many of their hotter exclusives.
I hope so. Ill be grabbing 2 of the s90v millies for sure!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Popsickle wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:This one is the very definition of the no-brainer sellout success! You had to know this was coming when a certain someone (who will remain nameless today for fear of the Taz ;)) said a while back that KW had some exciting things to offer this year.

The only of one the three I didn't see coming was the CF/Ti one. Time will tell if that was exclusive becomes as valuable on the secondary market someday as the G10/Ti M4 Millie (which I paid a decent sum for coming at it so late in the game).
The s90v yo2 was called a no brainer sell out as well and is still being offered if it hasn't sold out already. Ill snag an s90v millie cf/ti for sure! Also, at 1200 units i doubt the secondary will reach the m4 millie price that had under 500 last i checked (maybe 300?)
I'm actually pretty sure the S90V one will reach that. The street price on the M4 Military was 220ish, this one has to be more expensive, and the CF/S90V Militaries are in the $600 range.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Right, that's the one I'm looking forward to....made sense to me?

Blerv wrote:
Razzle wrote:The 204p Millie is the one I'm after.
This doesn't really make sense. :confused:

So...for everyone else. Knifeworks just put this up on their Facebook page:

"Here is our 3rd new Exclusive!
To match our 204 Para2!
These three new runs will be released one at a time
starting later this year.
C36GGRP Military
CTS204P Steel Full Flat Ground
Dark Green G-10 Handles
All Silver hardware and Clip"

and

"Knifeworks is pleased to announce two of three new Spyderco Knifeworks Exclusives!
These will be released late 2015, early and mid 2016. So, its too early to call or email. But its official! More details to follow! We have been working for a couple years to bring back another one of our Exclusive Ti Military's in CF and S90V. And everyone has been after an M4 Para 2 forever! Ours will be CF!
Spyderco CF & S90V Ti Military
C36CFTIP
Peel Ply Carbon Fiber handle
Titanium Back Side lock with R.I.L. and steel insert.
Silver Clip and Silver hardware.
CPM S90V Full Flat Ground Plain Edge Blade.
1200 Piece Run
Spyderco CF & M4 Para2
C81CFM4P2
Carbon Fiber Handle with a silver clip and silver hardware
CPM M4 Full Flat ground Plain Edge Blade
1200 Piece Run"
Matt
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Sure, peel ply G10 and CF end up being more or less the same so I do not prefer one over the other and the cost savings of G10 over CF is an obvious plus FOR G10 but instead of throwing SHADE, I am no less enthusiastic about this release... I'd rather THANK Knifeworks for 1)Finally making an M4 PM2 possible by ordering an exclusive and 2) Acknowledge the fact that certain dealers tend to stick with certain themes (examples: Moonglows go to EDC forums, toxic green goes to USN, Smurf Blue unfortunately gets consumed by BBS, and last but not least: Peel ply CF and now dark green G10 is being ordered by Knifeworks. It is not much of a shock that they went with peel ply CF and I trust Knifeworks, Roger, and the ladies to price this fairly as they ALWAYS have. ;)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Any idea when the pre-orders on these will open?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

TomAiello wrote:Any idea when the pre-orders on these will open?
Probably tomorrow, you should start refreshing on the hour tonight.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote:
Actually they opened at 3:00 this afternoon. Sold out at 4:15. Can't believe yall missed it! :eek:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

FCM415 wrote:Sure, peel ply G10 and CF end up being more or less the same so I do not prefer one over the other and the cost savings of G10 over CF is an obvious plus FOR G10 but instead of throwing SHADE, I am no less enthusiastic about this release... I'd rather THANK Knifeworks for 1)Finally making an M4 PM2 possible by ordering an exclusive and 2) Acknowledge the fact that certain dealers tend to stick with certain themes (examples: Moonglows go to EDC forums, toxic green goes to USN, Smurf Blue unfortunately gets consumed by BBS, and last but not least: Peel ply CF and now dark green G10 is being ordered by Knifeworks. It is not much of a shock that they went with peel ply CF and I trust Knifeworks, Roger, and the ladies to price this fairly as they ALWAYS have. ;)
I might have complained but was more or less just stating preference and wholeheartedly agree with you. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I might have complained but was more or less just stating preference and wholeheartedly agree with you. :D
As a man with too many hobbies and vices, I definitley could have used the cost savings of G10 also. Strictly material-wise, CF peel plied is cool but to me they are the same anyway. So I agree with you also :D A "worry" of mine though is that the "CF freaks" are added competition to acquire this and we may see things get funny a few days after release (supply/demand/hype)... my pops always tells me let's cross the bridge when it gets there :o

I kind of ranted because a few points got lost along the way. M4 Para has been requested by hundreds over years and is long ovedue. Glad to see it actually happen and it took a dealer to make it so.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Surfingringo wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
Actually they opened at 3:00 this afternoon. Sold out at 4:15. Can't believe yall missed it! :eek:
Not on 1200 peices lol
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

My question, heat treatment? The Original GB came out perfect, but then the heat treat was adjusted. I hope this one is running some higher numbers!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

PayneTrain wrote:Well there goes the forum knife!

I'll take one. It goes against everything my collection was founded upon to get a 3rd PM2 in a steel I already have, but...well actually I don't have a CF PM2 yet...rationalization complete! Let's do this!
I've been pretty busy lately and haven't followed the forums for the last few weeks aside from quick drop-ins. But just reading through this thread more carefully I came across this comment and agree completely. :eek:

It seemed like throughout the Forum knife commentary that quite a few people who voted for the PM2 were desperately hopeful for an M4 variation. I am actually quite happy that it turned out this way though because it is unlikely that a Forum knife would have the extra expense of CF scale included......and I happen to really like CF. :D

Now what would take this knife to another level would be to have slightly contoured CF.......in the same way that Benchmade went with contoured blue/black G10 for the KW M390 Exclusive. The 710 and Contego are the only BM that I really like, ok - maybe the 470 Emissary too but never liked it enough to purchase over all the Spyderco's that I've purchased instead. But the slight contouring of the G10 over the regular flat black G10 really improved the feel in hand between the two models. I believe that a similar minimal contouring would work very well for the PM2 as well. ;)

This will be my first M4 knife, as I couldn't warm up to the simulated contouring of the GB that was achieved with proud liners (or smaller scales - depending on how you want to look at it). Also FFG will be nice too. I am really looking forward to this one! :)

So can we now, pretty please, have a diamond cut patterned dark blue G10 (or dark green G10) Caly 3.5 as the next Forum knife? :p ;) :D

Also like the idea of an S90v Millie or the CTS-204p version. I might have to get all three......OUCH! My bank account just winced. ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Anything "extra" like handle enhancements will add to production time and final MSRP. It's a wildly popular model as is anyway and one of its most loved features is its ergos. I do think diamond pattern on the G10 adds a nice touch though.

Im a 710 fan and was excited for the contoured M390 but ended up returning it as I prefer the original. Have multiple Steel versions of the 710. Others seem to prefer the regular also as KW is stuck with that exclusive and cant sell it off even with steep discounts while the older 710 exclusives sold out within months.

I do wonder though whatever happened to those fluted CF concepts of the PM2 and N5.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

ManixFan wrote: So can we now, pretty please, have a diamond cut patterned dark blue G10 (or dark green G10) Caly 3.5 as the next Forum knife? :p ;) :D
YES.
You should bring back that Forum Knife poll thread and have another revote after this news has broken and changed things around.
Going back to Caly.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

For those of you who worry about M4 being non-stainless, here are some patina pics... Current patina is about 5 months old, I lost the previous one with the convexing and some polish. This is an untreated blade doing regular food prep, just wash and dry afterwards, no rust. I do keep it as dry as possible, and I live in a dry climate, which definitely helps.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

After the green para2 fiasco it would surprise me if they even do a preorder for these..
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I need 2 of those :)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Wow see what happens when a guy travels all the way around the world? Step away for a little while and they decide to release two of my lusted after knives in some to die for configurations. Plus they are making enough for everyone. Oh and we can't forget KWs historically fair pricing.

Way to go KW!
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.